Quantcast
Jay...tannoy 6.5 monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jay...tannoy 6.5 monitors
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jay...tannoy 6.5 monitors

I think it was Jay that posted about the Tannoy's 6.5 he used being some what challenged in the mid section.

I have used the 6.5 for 10 years and loved the sound. BUT just recently ( monday) I got a (real) deal on a pair of KRK K-ROC's. (the original ones not the roc-kit). So I hooked them up to my console as a second pair.

HOLY SH!T!!! It sounded so damn clear and natural. The Tannoy's sound like they have a moving blanket over them in comparison.

I started to listening to my mixes from the Tannoys and heard things I never heard before (and should have). THe lack of mids in my Tannoy's caused me to push of those freqs on my mixes and this was evident on the K-roc's.

I was in the market for active monitors, when I found these for $100 for the pair. Bought them on a whim and love the sound in my room. I probably will hold off buying the Genelecs or Mackies in the short term and use these.

I'M NOT SAYING..that these are the end all beat all monitor. Not saying that at all. More that the Tannoy 6.5's really were sucking the life out of my mixes. And for little money I made a huge upgrade to my room's sound, and my ability to mix acurrately.

Just wanted to share that with you. I remember you questioning this a month or so ago.

Joe E
Old 21st February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Remember that all of this is kind of personal preference - my primary monitors are Dynaudio BM15A's, but I still use my 6.5's every session.

The other thing you should find out is how well mixes done on your KRoc's translate to the outside world. One of the things I like about my 6.5's is that they translate pretty well, evn though they don't have the resolution of my more expensive monitors.
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Excellent Point

I will be mixing a session tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.

I think the detail is great on the KRK's and will really help to place sounds front to back.

The Tannoys will probably represent the average home stereo speaker quite well.

Maybe I won't sell them quite yet. tutt

Joe
Old 22nd February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the heads up, but that doesn't quite sound like it's related to my "problem" with them. If anything I think the Tannoy's have too much detail in the upper mids and top so I back off on that when I should really push it. The mids usually translate fine. It's the upper end stuff like the hi-hats and cymbals not really matching that gets cloudy to me. ****, after almost three years of using them I finally realized that if it sounds right it isn't quite enough. I want something with less top and maybe more mids. I haven't really been into the KRK speakers I've heard in the past, usually too bright and too forward. Howie Weinburg had a pair in his room a few years ago (97'-ish) that I thought sounded great at the time, but that was when I was starting out on the AE road. Does anyone remember what they were?
Old 22nd February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jay,

I guess my reason to post was not to promote KRK's, but more so the fact that if your not hearing what you need maybe it is time to change.

So far I have found a it a ton easier to mix on my "new" monitors. I have to work a lot shorter period of time to get a good sounding mix because of added clarity across the freqs.

I have also not been impressed with most of the KRK stuff. I always thought that if the higher end KRK's like the V8's had extended hype over some of the Freq's, how good could thier mid priced (passive) stuff be. I'm pleaseantly suprised.

For me it is all about working smarter, faster and not harder. And so far it seems that adding a second pair of speakers with a "different" area or type of detail than my Tannoy's seems to be a huge bonus for me.

For so long I learned how to make a mix on the Tannoy's translate to other systems well. By changing them out, I mix to where it sounds good in the CR and translates well in other places. (NOW>>>I've only mixed a few songs so far on the KRK's so this all could be a bunch of crap. And in a month I could be back to the Tannoy's. But so far, I really like the way they translate)

If it sounds good, but is not good it might be worth a change. you wrote: ""****, after almost three years of using them I finally realized that if it sounds right it isn't quite enough"" I find it interesting that as Engineers we ALL work awefully hard when tools are available to do a much nicer job. I guess to me it would be like a carpenter building a house with a hand saw, when a power saw is available.

Anyway this was not meant for a discusion on brands as much as if your not hearing what you need to, maybe a change is not so far fetched. It helped me out (so far). But a month ago I wasn't so sure.

Joe E
Old 23rd February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I didn't see the post as promoting KRK really, but more as a suggestion to me of something to look into. I've heard the E8's and they're quite sweet but also a lot of taco's. Certainly more then I can afford to spend right now, since I'm burning the walls of the studio for heat.

I'n looking for new monitors I did hear one set I really liked, the Truth Audio passive deals with dual 5" drivers. Pretty sweet, in my price range but they aren't shielded. Bummer... the search continues.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…