Quantcast
TFpro - Ted Fletcher goes red - and isn't meek - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TFpro - Ted Fletcher goes red - and isn't meek
Old 20th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
TFpro - Ted Fletcher goes red - and isn't meek

This looks like an interesting development of sorts.
The revamped 16ch mic pre could be useful. I haven't seen pricing - though its sure to be competitive. Anybody used any of these new UK products?

http://www.tfpro.com/products
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

What is this!??! Those are meeks w/ red faceplates :eek:
Did I miss something?
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did I miss something?
yes

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1026

Quote:
oe Meeks' Ted Fletcher Launches New Range
But Joe Meek is now made by someone else. Confused? _ 17-Feb-03
_
TFPRO is the brand name of a new range of professional audio equipment designed by TED FLETCHER, engineered and manufactured in UK.

The brand includes microphones, microphone amplifiers, compressor/limiters, harmonic enhancers and equalizers; all based on designs developed by Ted over the last 40 years.

Ted's name has been synonymous with the 'JOEMEEK' brand since he created it in 1993, now, the US distributor has bought the UK trademark and Ted has introduced a whole range to go with the new red colour of TFPRO.

Ted says: "It's ten years now since we started Joemeek, and it's time for a change. We did great things with names like 'Meequalizer' (invented by Warren Stean), 'Meekrophone (invented by Malcolm Jackson) and TrakPak (invented by Alan Hyatt). We even had a 'Meekbox' that Danny dreamed up! But seriously, technology has moved on and it's time to introduce a whole heap of technology that we just couldn't do under the old label. I want to make some exciting products like a 5.1 optical fader, a 5 channel compressor limiter and some seriously good mic amps as well as new recording channels to make computer systems sound nicer."

TFPRO equipment is being marketed and sold via another new company: Jonny Monument UK Ltd., owned and run by ex Joemeek sales team Jonny Monument and Adam Loveday Edwards. Danny Fletcher handles the web design and marketing as well as contributing significantly to final product design.
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

Ohhh, ok, I got it now... what's the price on those beasts? Under or above Meeks?
Are the meeks still beign made?
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 16 channel pre looks just like the MTA Ix-one which was plagued by a poor design. Looks like they just added some led metering to it. I would think after hearing the Ix-one that Malcolm Toft wasn't pleased to have his name associated with the product. The list of the old Ix-one was 2k.

Ask Fletcher (not Ted) about the Ix-one. I believe Mercenary was considering selling it at one time. He never did as far as I know.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I got IXone .. and despite some bad design issues (like a flacky flat cable leading power to the transformer and a little bit too much crosstalk) it has an excellent dark sound, and a really good headroom.

Keep in mind that I use it primarily for synths, drum machines and secondary output of mpc, not for main vocals or miced instruments, but for the price is a very good alternative to other multipres in that price range.

Ciao.

Michele
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Despite claiming new product line is departure from the Meek brand (and Joe Meek name is now owned by PMI), I find it funny to see the new web site with the infamous " 'If it sounds right, it IS right!' Joe Meek 1964" quotation at the bottom of the page!! tutt
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Confused....well it has been messy.

The designs Ted did on the new copy of the IX-One are very bad. The CS mic amp does not do what it says it does, and it is noisy. It does not match any impedance, or sense current. In addition, MTA was closed down some time ago. Ted Fletcher folded that company intentionally. This means the artistic rights go back to Malcolm from MTA, and Ted is now ripping the look of it off. Before you know it, Ted Fletcher will have to change his name to Berringer!

Oh yeah, another small issue is Ted Fletchers new boxes are "NOT" CE rated. He has no certificate of approval, so buyers beware. As for TFPro, well what can I say? I did buy Joemeek, its trademark and everything associated with that mark, with the intention of redesigning the quality back into it that Ted designed out of it over the years. The new Joemeek products will be out in four months or so.

IN the meantime, Ted Fletcher just can't seem to get over the fact that he went bust and lost the company. Well, that is not my fault. If he wanted to stay in business he should not have kept all the tax money he withheld from his employee's for over a year. Did he think he would not get caught tutt

He continues to let people think he is still Joemeek, now only Red, and as such, he is even trading as JM UK and ripping off the old Joemeek products. Unfortunately for him, that is a violation of our registered trademark, and they are still the old badly designed Joemeek units.

In either case, the customers will decide in the end what is what, and the products will speak for themselves. Of course Ted Fletcher has to stay in business to let this take its natural course, but with no electronic approval by any certification agency, customers would be quite foolish to buy them.

As for his press releases, they are lies and the magazine should check their facts before they print them...
πŸ“ Reply