The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oktava ML52 ribbon opinions
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Oktava ML52 ribbon opinions

Anybody ever use the ML52 Ribbon. Especially on drum overheads and guitar. If so, what are your opinions? Is it a viable alternative to the 4038 or 121? Thanks!!!
MG
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a couple for a client last year. I have found that they have a large rolloff after 6 or 7k so I don't think they would be any use for overheads. I tried it on a vocal and it was useless. Really, the only time I have found it interesting has been on a solo sax. It had a nice warm old fashioned sound.
I guess I need to experiment some more, but I'm sure a Royer would be a better all rounder although probably three or four times more expensive.

DW
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well Daire is right about the massive roll-off, but I sometimes find that kind of nice! When I first listened to myself speaking into it in headphones I thought, this is how my voice should sound! Probably just a style thing.

Anyway, I've liked it some things and not so much on others. It's not nearly as sturdy as a Royer and I doubt I'd put it on front of an amp or a kick drum...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…