Quantcast
Larry Kings mic - again..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Larry Kings mic - again.....
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Larry Kings mic - again.....

Just watched a strange Larry King show where he interviewed Priscilla Presley. The lives of these people are too weird to comment on, but I've got another question about his famous 77 mic.

You would think that a 77 could be a great interview mic as any bi-directional mic can "face" both the "interviewer" and "interviewee" at the same time. But the mic was set up in seemingly the worst way possible. It was aimed in between Larry & Priscilla with each of them nearly 90 degrees off axis. Right in the null of a bi-directional mic.

This makes me wonder if it is only a prop with a small condenser or other new mic inside the huge RCA shell? Or is the whole thing just a prop with overheads supplying the signal?

steve
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll bet it's a prop. I've also learned that all vintage gear in studios these days are a prop... there's a dfegadMackie and some cheap DBX's in the machine room going to the PT rig. "Welcome to the Wizard of Poo studios...follow the brown brick road!"yuktyy
Old 16th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
The mic is a prop.

I didn't see this particular interview, but Larry and his guest usually have lav mics. There may also be a boom operator following the conversation from above.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MS???
Old 18th February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
LAVs and a boom, no ribbon sound there, although Larry's voice deserves one.
I heard old blue eyes today, old recordings, fancy mastering, RCA44, what a sound. The vocal level is really loud and there's not much pissessing. They just mixed it right for the song, maybe they're riding levels 'cause they didn't have enough compressors. There were guitar players and drummers on the tracks but I doubt that they were egomaniacs.
Old 19th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
It's a prop... so is Letterman's.
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it wasn't, there would be explosions every time Letterman uses his as a drum.

Damn I hate when he does that.
πŸ“ Reply