Quantcast
bulk cable - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bulk cable
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
bulk cable

can anyone tell me what kind of bulk cable and xlr connectors I should buy to make my own high quality cables?

I want quality, but I'm also kind of broke.
Old 16th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Belden 1800 and Neutrik connectors are what I used...
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Canare is the best value on the market. It's got a great sound (comparable to Mogami), and costs a little less. I'm not really too happy with Belden's quality, it's ok for live though.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll second Canare as an excellent "quality versus price" choice. Neutrik connectors are a no brainer, especially on the issue of workability.

Have fun with that soldering iron!
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where I'm at in LA, I can buy Mogami for nearly identical price to Canare...I love Mogami, especially the flexibility, as well as the obvious sound quality
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Doug, where do you get your cable? I'll be making a record in LA starting in March.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anyone here use Gepco? I have had great luck with them in the past
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Does anyone here use Gepco? I have had great luck with them in the past
Yup, 95% of the console/gear wire in my studio is Gepco GA61808GFC w/ Neutrik connectors (I use Canare StarQuad for mic's). I chose the Gepco wire over Mogami and Canare and would again! It's great stuff IMVHO.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I used Gepco and Neutrik connectors. In my opinion the quality of the Neutrik connectors is approximately 1 grillion times better than the switchcraft stuff
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by tigeba
I used Gepco and Neutrik connectors. In my opinion the quality of the Neutrik connectors is approximately 1 grillion times better than the switchcraft stuff
neutrik XLR's are also super easy to work with on assembly.
Old 16th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Belden 1800 and Neutrik connectors are what I used...
I've got exactly that, plus a lot of Whirlwind xlrs which have a flat area on one side of the connector barrel. Great for labeling the cables, referencing where the pins are by touch, and they don't roll off the soldering table when I bump into it. Sonically I hear absolutely no difference between the Neutriks and the Whirlwinds. The Neutriks are a tiny bit easier to work with because the contact cups are shallower, but there's not much difference to me working with either brand.

One very obvious sounding thing unless you forget to do it: get eight different colors of heat shrink tubing and put it on your cable ends BEFORE you make the cables!! Yup, I'm still kicking myself!! I ended up having to put it over the connectors themselves, which still admirably serves the purpose and looks slick.

Here's the best source I know of for heat shrink tubing:

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/

The 9mm will fit all mic cables.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Jax, that's a great idea. Everyone knows what it's like to try and sort thru 20 different identical mic cables(not very pleasant)
Old 16th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I really f-d up by not heat shrink identifying my cables from the start. It became a comedy of errors. I tried colored round stickers from Office Depot, but since they weren't made for sticking to much of anything besides paper, they fell off within 3 months. I tried smaller white rectangular stickers and wrote numbers or labels on them. Eventually, I managed to find them all after they had fallen off and scattered throughout the live room.

This is one thing you don't want to f up.
Old 16th February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
We use Canare star quad, Mogami & Belden Brilliance in the new mobile unit. I like all three brands I just mentioned.

I wanted to give my clients options. Picking which wire they wanted was one of the options for the expando truck.

On the XLR front, we have used Neutrik & Whirlwind connectors.
The expando has neutrik gold pin XLRs throughout the rig.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by out1ear
thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Doug, where do you get your cable? I'll be making a record in LA starting in March.
Either of the two places in Burbank. Pacific Radio Electronics (www.pacrad.com) or Electronic City in Burbank as well (www.electroniccity.com)

I usually like Pacific Radio a bit better...but they are both within about 3 minutes of each other, so if one doesn't have something exactly, then you go to the other. They also have a great selection of all other parts and connectors...Neutrik and Switchcraft. They also do custom jobs for reasonable amounts of money...
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
... One very obvious sounding thing unless you forget to do it: get eight different colors of heat shrink tubing and put it on your cable ends BEFORE you make the cables!!...
The Gepco stuff comes color coded and numbered with an overall sheild and drain wire in addition to the individual sheilds. You should definitely give this cable at least a look see, it's very cool stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
bulk cable-gepco.jpeg  
Old 17th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Recomended vendors on the Gepco (and others)?

Bear
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ended up getting a spool of the Gepco stuff from Full Compass, they had the best price at the time. Markertek also has it and you can order direct from Gepco as well.
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I too like and use Canare. One of the benefits of Canare is that it has good, buttery flexibility, important for integrity around curves.

I would choose Canare over Mogami; Gepco might be cheaper, and I have heard good things about Gepco as well

-MattiMattMatt
Old 20th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
The Gepco stuff comes color coded and numbered with an overall sheild and drain wire in addition to the individual sheilds. You should definitely give this cable at least a look see, it's very cool stuff.
That's multipair snake cable. I've never seen multipair snake cable that wasn't color coded. If it wasn't, there would be no reasonable way to follow pinouts for DB-25's and the like. I don't know if Gepco makes mic cable with different colored jackets, but if they do, it might be difficult ordering less than a minimum number of feet per spool, per color. I know I needed at least 1500' of Belden 1800F. Minimum spools were I think 500' unless I wanted to pay more for smaller amounts. I wish I had heat shrunk id'd all my cables, but I had to do it on the connectors.
Old 20th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I know I needed at least 1500' of Belden 1800F.
I can never remember - is it the 1800F that's mic cable, and 1800B that's more useful for running in the wall or the cable trough?
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
That's multipair snake cable.
True.
Quote:
I've never seen multipair snake cable that wasn't color coded.
I've seen fans that were half black, half gray for I/O's respectively. The individual leads were coded but not the pairs themselves. You have to put a number or something on to ident them. That's one of the things I love about the Gepco multipair, both a number and a color are already there and very visible.
Quote:
I don't know if Gepco makes mic cable with different colored jackets,
I'm pretty sure that Gepco mic cable comes in at least 5 colors depending on the particular product.
Quote:
...but if they do, it might be difficult ordering less than a minimum number of feet per spool, per color. I know I needed at least 1500' of Belden 1800F. Minimum spools were I think 500' unless I wanted to pay more for smaller amounts. I wish I had heat shrunk id'd all my cables, but I had to do it on the connectors.
Sure, splitting up the order buy colors may cost you a bit more but if you factor in the cost of different color shrink plus the added time to put it on you may have been better off with different color cables. Not sure of course, but maybe.

As a side note:

I haven't used the Gepco Mic cable yet (I use Canare star quad) but I'd like to. If it's anything like their "multi" then I'd bet it's good.
Old 20th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L

Sure, splitting up the order buy colors may cost you a bit more but if you factor in the cost of different color shrink plus the added time to put it on you may have been better off with different color cables. Not sure of course, but maybe.
I can tell you that colored heat shrink is pretty darn cheap. For covering the ends of all my cables (well, the connectors, actually), and I mean all of them, it was only about $60 incl. shipping for eight different colors of heat shrink. I don't know either, but (not to repeat myself) based on what minimum order spools cost, or buying just the amount you need (which costs more per foot), I doubt it's gonna be cheaper than heat shrink.

Besides, when you're doing cables, heat shrink is almost fun compared to how time consuming and tedious all the other tiny labor is. Makes 'em look snappy too, and not quite as "festive" shall we say, as a rainbow of cables in the live room.

"Tiny labor." Hmm, I'll have to put that in a song about ants.
Old 20th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I can never remember - is it the 1800F that's mic cable, and 1800B that's more useful for running in the wall or the cable trough?
I think it's the same cable either way, the difference being in the flexibility of the jacket. Oddly, the cable from one of the spools I got was less flexible (and matte black as opposed to shiny) than the other but they both said 1800F.

I don't know, but I used 1800F on everything and it sounds good to me.
Old 20th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
"Tiny labor." Hmm, I'll have to put that in a song about ants.
Yes, but it must be sung to the toon of "Tiny Bubbles"!
Old 21st February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I think it's the same cable either way, the difference being in the flexibility of the jacket. Oddly, the cable from one of the spools I got was less flexible (and matte black as opposed to shiny) than the other but they both said 1800F.

I don't know, but I used 1800F on everything and it sounds good to me.
One of them is bigger in diameter than the other - I just can't remember which is which. And that's a shame, since I need to build (or have built) a bunch of new mic cables. Since the Belden I'm thinking of is available in different colors, I've even thought about color coding by length - 6 foot cables would be yellow, 10 foot red, 15 foot blue, or something like that.

That would save me a little time with set up and tear down...
πŸ“ Reply