Quantcast
wall treatment, tube traps, basstraps,difusers, DIY? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wall treatment, tube traps, basstraps,difusers, DIY?
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wall treatment, tube traps, basstraps,difusers, DIY?

Hi all , I'ts gettin down to the nitty gritty in the build out of the new room. The walls are up and preped for painting so I'll be trading the nailbags for the painter overalls this week (I HATE Painting)

I've been doing some research into wall treatment (general) and to other options for actually tunning the room using panels, diffusers, Auralex etc.

there's quite a bit of DIY stuff on the web but I'd love to see and hear what others have had sucsess with on a budget. We will be having an inexpensive walk through and consult with a big dog studio designer as well as with a guy that I met at the Auralex booth at namm. (he's set up a number of high end project rooms for L.A. muso's and seemed to be really knowledgeable) we've still yet to decide on dropping in ceiling to create a symetrical lid or to drop in individual "clouds" that would serve to diffuse and trap. (I'm talking primarily control room here.
We're flying by the seat of our pants so any advice would be helpful.

any Pics/descriptions of DIY wall/ceiling treatment greatly appreciated. Oh, and I'll post some current pics of the studio in the following thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&threadid=2128

excuse the mess......construction zone.
btw, any gearslutz locally wanna get on the painting/soldering crew....drop me a line, include your preferred cool beverage.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Re: wall treatment, tube traps, basstraps,difusers, DIY?

Craig,

> there's quite a bit of DIY stuff on the web but I'd love to see and hear what others have had sucsess with on a budget. <

Tuning the room is somewhat of a misnomer. All rooms need low frequency absorption - bass traps - and usually some amount of mid/high frequency absorption too. If the walls or floor/ceiling are parallel, then diffusion is often useful too.

In your search for DIY treatment you may have come across my article showing how to build membrane (wood panel) bass traps, linked here:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

A membrane absorber is far more effective than anything made of fiberglass or foam alone, and that includes hollow tubes stuffed with fiberglass. Though a real bass trap is more difficult to build, it's the only way you'll get useful absorption down to the lower frequencies. Better, a wood panel bass trap is reflective at mid and high frequencies, so you can install a sufficient number of them without making the room sound too dead.

--Ethan
Old 17th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For an inexpensive,
yet functional, DIY diffusor...

I used the 16 'press-board' corners
that suspended my monitors in their
original shipping cartons...

I 'covered' them with a combo of that faux stone
texture stuff and regular spray paint
(accent color-matched to the room decor)...

I patterned them into a somewhat
Klingon-esque triangular arrangement,
then attatched them to the control room wall,
behind my 'mixing position' with double-sided foam tape...

To date, no one has requested
"more diffusion, please"
while in the control room... yuktyy
Old 18th February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Do a search on John Sayer, where you can find good advice on anything.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…