Quantcast
Aussie AE's - question on ARX gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aussie AE's - question on ARX gear
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Aussie AE's - question on ARX gear

Of course of you're not Australian and have something to say, feel free!

Anyway I was just wonderring if anyone had any experience with ARX gear. I remember a couple of yeares ago using the Afterburner compressor and at the time i was rather impressed.
However, I am most interested if anyone has any feedback on the quality of their rack mounted pre-amps. they have an 8 channel one and a 4 channel one. the 4 channel one also has eq and a 4x2 line\mic mixer. Its called the "Mixx". Are they any better than your average budget console pre?

Any feedback would be appreciated. The price looks right and it's good to support local manufacturers.

On a similar point, do any of you guys remember the ETR 2 channel preamps that were around 5 or 6 years ago? I was using one on a session last night on kick and snare. Damn that is a fine pre. Unfortunatley the guy that built them died and they aren't made anymore. One interesting thing was the impededence switch, as there seems to be a real marketting buzz in many recently released pre's with this feature. Anyway does anyone have a line on any of these units for sale? if memory serves, they were damn cheap for the quality of the unit (less than $1000).
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
We have a Quad Comp and it sounds great. Better/equal to the 3630/Symetrix/ART and not nearly as good as the 160SL. Got it at a pawn shop for $125.00!!

Vodka Gimli
Nashville, TN
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
ARXafterburner is way cool...

I was using it the other night on KIK after my shep pre/eq THru FET47.. the Shep did not have an output pot so i was running the gain directly from the mic trim pot and it was freakin HOT.. so i put an after burner in line and was pulling -3dB on the peaks and it was invisible and was a VERY useful problem solver.. the place where i was had 4 ch's of them in their rack!!! .. will use for sure next time im in there..

RE:ETR.. what a piece of gold for nothin!!.. i sued one when thye fist cam eout and creamed me jeans and stupidly never bought one cos i was in the middle of payin off a 2". I wen tot buy one just as Bruce died and could not get anywhere or any back stock... get in the queue after me if u want one!!!.. from the few ppl that i know that acutally have one of these rare beasts, they are gona have to be prised fromt heir cold dead hands in their graves..lol

BTW... was that session @ subverse? cos i know they got one too but im pretty sure they wont be selling theirs!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
BTW... was that session @ subverse? cos i know they got one too but im pretty sure they wont be selling theirs!

PEACE
Wiggy
small world huh?
yes the session was at subverse and it went really well.
seems like i won't be getting my hand on an etr anytime soon!
damn it. anyway thanks for the info. you too gimli.
still wonderring about this arx mixx thingy if anyone else has anything to add. i think an afterburner purchase might be in my future too.
Old 13th August 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
i've got an arx ddp1 compressor that stopped working a while ago. a bit extreme but i liked it on clean guitars and drums (parallell). special sound and meters that didn't tell you anything. no true stereo operation though, left channel dictated what was going on. it's got a ssm vca, haven't seen that elsewhere. wanna get it going again someday for that nice tom-sound.

anyone got a schematic perhaps?
Old 14th August 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
we have the arx afterburners here at 2ue. my boss loves it, uses it all the time on voice overs and final mixes... mine isn't hooked up atm... hasn't been for 2 years :(
Old 24th December 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgrill โžก๏ธ
i've got an arx ddp1 compressor that stopped working a while ago. a bit extreme but i liked it on clean guitars and drums (parallell). special sound and meters that didn't tell you anything. no true stereo operation though, left channel dictated what was going on. it's got a ssm vca, haven't seen that elsewhere. wanna get it going again someday for that nice tom-sound.

anyone got a schematic perhaps?
Iโ€™ve got one of these, did you ever get it going again?
๐Ÿ“ Reply