Quantcast
Trident-MTA, A-Range - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident-MTA, A-Range
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Trident-MTA, A-Range

Is there anybody out there that has some experience with this EQ/PRE??
I can get a good deal on one. But is it worth buying?
Attached Thumbnails
Trident-MTA, A-Range-series.jpg  
Old 14th February 2003
Founder

If you can get a good deal on it - buy it.

V F nice EQ action on it IMHO

I want one.

I tried one at an AES and loved the EQ dunno about the pre, I bet it is mighty fine too.

The place I interned at in London had an original.. It got sold to the US before I moved up to engineer status... So I never really had time on a real one.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I got one as soon as I read the Studio Sound review a couple of years ago. I had some experience of the original A Range pres in Treasure Isle in Nashville, as well as a TSM and the smaller one 80B I believe. Anyway, I really loved the A modules so I was delighted to hear the MTA was along the same lines.
When the first unit arrived it had major hum problems so I sent it back. Second module came and it also developed a problem soon after. Ted Fletcher of MTA tried to tell me I was not using it properly madd . So when a working unit eventually arrived my faith in MTA was sorely dented. I didn't start using it until recently and only on acoustic guitars so far. A Rode Classic straight in sounds great for rhythm. I cannot comment on the eq as I normally record fairly flat, but I do know that when you click through the frequency select pot, everyone can hear it ( audable clicks! ).
Definitely try before buy. Crank the input gain up until the overload light just comes on, then back off one notch. See what you think. Just remember, I will not work with Earthworks omnis, so there may be other mics it dont like.

DW

"If it sounds good, it is good"
Ted Fletcher
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's pretty much the favorite pre for every guitar player I've put through it so far. Also great for a cutting, airy rock vocal.

Not exactly an original A Range, but still a very rock and roll pre/EQ. The Q on the EQ bands is very tight, tighter than the originals. Not neutral at all, which is just fine by me.

Some units had QC problems, so have a listen or get a guarantee first. Also, there is just going to be a slight amount of 60 Hz in the EQ section. That's the way this thing is. I could care less on a screaming Marshall.

It should go for $1500 or less. IMO, worth every penny. It would be one of the last things I sold if I were to downscale.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 14th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
How good a deal? I found the EQ to be very nice, the pre to be not as nice (It's more of a Meek pre than a Trident pre), and some fairly major issues with the Power supply. Mine is at the tech's right now; he;s removing the PS from the chassis to try and get rid of the hum.

Mine was also from the first run; the mic light comes on when the line level input is engaged.
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
rotary-style eq; quite lovely! it's a steal, for the $, as long as there are no bugs. get it!

ml
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Funky Junk in London have recently been selling these units off cheap.
In a way that spoke volumes.
Old 14th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
I know the UK distributors for Trident-MTA went down and they were clearing stock... hence the cheap pricing. As a slight tangent, I posted up here a while ago to see if anyone had experience of the 80B module (but didn't get any interest). Again, there are really good deals on this at the moment and I'm hoping some of you guys may have an opinion... I really like the sound of the 80B console, and the idea was to try to recreate this when tracking into ProTools?

Old 14th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i didn't like the 80b as much as the a-range unit. it didn't sound like an original 80b to me; and it was much, much darker. the a-range unit sounded open and coloured, & had a bit of silkiness in the top end.

ml
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I heard the issues about quailty as well, wasn't there also something about the pres being just meek pres with a nice eq.

They sold out real cheap here as well. I think they are still stuck with some.
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks ya´ll !!

I will probably get it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I paid £760 or around $1000 for it. I will have a tech go through it when I get the preamp and see if it´s the real deal or not......
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think Allen Hyatt posted one time that the eq on that unit was very similar to the original but the mic pre was a JoeMeek mic pre and not based on the original Trident's. I'm not positive but seems that's what I remember, so you may want to check with him.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are set on getting one, at least dont pay over the odds. Go to Mark at Funkyjunk, London. I bet you will save about £300. Let us know your impressions when you get to using it.

DW
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Daire Winston
If you are set on getting one, at least dont pay over the odds. Go to Mark at Funkyjunk, London.
:eek: Yes. He was selling them for £500 (not including tax) in the new year sale.:eek:
📝 Reply