Quantcast
Which control surface do you like? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which control surface do you like?
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Which control surface do you like?

I'm thinking of finally swapping out my motormix and am wondering what real world feedback people have about the various control surfaces.

I'm really just looking for something small with touch sensitive motorized faders for doing fader rides and possibly with transport control (but not necessary). ProControl is way overkill. What I'd really like is a motormix sized item with true touch sensitive faders. The baby hui looks good but I'm worried about fader resolution with the smaller 60mm faders. Has anyone used this?
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still rock my Hui. I wish it had an ethernet connection (so I might "upgrade" to a baby hui) for higher resolution on fader moves. I almost got the Control 24, but I wanted something that I could carry by myself. They really are a good value IMHO.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have the radikal sac 2k. i like it quite well. using it via usb is very nice, plus it works with all my software. i might like a HUI more, but thats twice the price. anything smaller than this i don't like. i know i wouldn't be happy wit the smaller feature set of the baby hui or motormix, but that's to taste. they just dont' do enough for me for the money. also, the radikal is long across but somewhat shallow so you can still be up near your computer monitors and so forth. it's a consideration. the newest update for these has really improved them.
Old 12th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
I think Baby Hui's really neat.

All the features (although there's relatively few of them) are things you would probably use all the time. Sit it next to your keyboard and its easy to reach out for while editing. I think it's the right balance of functions and cost. Will Control|24 really look a good Β£6k investment in a year's time?

As for ProControl...
BlowControl.

Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
on a slight tangent, anyone know of a good place to pick up a mackie control for cheap?

retiring the digital mixer which served remote control duties...
Old 13th February 2003
Founder

Mackie Control looks good.

Dunno about the full extent of it's HUI emulation...

Anyone?
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have mackie control and steinberg huston for evaul... Mackie Control is far better. Huston looks a bit like a toy and has problems with faders (the faders shake on screen!) so it overides your automation, maybe it is fault of this piece but it is annoying. Mackie control has really nice feel and works flawlessly, if it is your size I have to recommend it...
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
so the mackie control works good in HUI emulation on pro tools?
Is there a big difference by a controller done by midi and one done by ethernet or usb?

I tried using a motormix for a second. I couldn't stand it!
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Mackie Control would be much cooler with Pro Tools if it didn't have to be run in HUI emulation. Among other things, HUI emulation limits track-names to 4 characters when there's 6 (or more?) available. So goes digi, I suppose.

Does that little SAC-2.2 also run in HUI emulation in PT or does it have its own thing going?

-dave
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the radikal sac works in a hui emulation if i remember right. even though i have pro tools and the sac, i have really been mixing in DP mostly.

ps: using it under USB is the cats ass. great. under midi it still performs admirably, but the usb is where it's at.

it has excellent drivers for things like DP, and works with basically all software packages.
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by pounce
the radikal sac works in a hui emulation if i remember right.
If I'm understanding this correctly, it would seem that as with the Mackie Control, if the Sac 2.2 runs in HUI emulation in PT, then track names are limited to HUI-standard 4 characters, despite the fact that it has 9 characters available. madd ... Am I missing something?

-dave
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes, hui emulation on the sac sucks because stuff like that with the fewer characters. the dp driver is awesome. i'll try later today to see if i'm remembering this right or not. for me, the extra characters and real decent onscreen feedback were part of the selling point.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, it's amazing. Is it so hard for someone to come out with a simple fader device that has the essentials for practical operation?

1. USB or ethernet connection

2. Enough LED characters to be able to read a track name

3. Touch sensitive, motoized faders.

It's as if none of these companies has every actually tried to run a Pro Tools session with one of their products.

The bay hui looked good until I realized it has no LED's per channel -so how do you know what the heck fader your grabbing?!!

I guess the Radikal (with only 4 characters LED's) and the Mackie Control (no usb connection) are the top contenders. Is the Mackie Control fully compatible with PT yet?
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
mackie control comunicates via MIDI and it is without any problem. With Nuendo, there are full track names (truncated only when it desnt fit on a lcd strip)... I can't really complain about it at all. It has quality faders with high resolution (no stepping problems like Huston has), you can set fader with 0.00 precision!!

And I think it is simple quality powerful device... IMHO
Old 16th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
why do you need USB connection? im getting a mackie control eventually. especially when the control C4 works with the system.

if i had protools though i think i would just get a procontrol.
Old 16th February 2003
Founder

On a cheery note, now that the Mackie controller has been out a while folks demonstrating it actually KNOW it now.

Last year at a trade show no one had a clue, this year they were much more confident about demonstrating it.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Logic Control works great for me. I hope that Mackie Control gets as wel implemented as LC soon.
Old 21st December 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Alphajerk,

One reason I personally would want USB or FIREWIRE as opposed to MIDI is the latency issue. Apparently there is a latency issue w/Mackie Control (MIDI) when the Buffers are set too high. That wouldn't work for me at all.

Heard anything on this?

Thanks.
Old 21st December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for the SAC 2k 2.2. LUV IT! USB is SO much better than midi. I had the JL Cooper 3800. But for the money the Sac came out on top. I like the footprint better than the Mackie control. The faders are not P+G but they are nice never the less. I like the buttons also. You dont need a fingernail to get to them. Hope that helps!
Old 21st December 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I run Mackie Control with Samplitude Pro 7.2 and Cubase SX 2 without any hitches. Integrated a bit tighter with Cubase, but iwth buffers set to a real number (256 for mixing here) it works flawlessly. Would never go back to MotorMix, which is what I ran with for years before this. Been on the Mackie for well over a year now.
Old 21st December 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a Sac 2.2, and the faders are much better than the motomix...BUT...each channel has only one button for mute/solo. There's a global control for which function the button is serving. It's incredibly annoying! I'm thinking of going back to motomix because of it!! Even more strange is that there's a nice open empty button size space right below where they could've put an extra dedicated switch. Does anybody try using these products before they manufacture them?
Old 21st December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I found the sac 2.2 to be NOT a good fit for Samplitude. Driver support was extremely limited, and utilized perhaps 40% of the device. Was not a fan of the TSR-driven driver implementation, it was crude. The clock display would only receive feed from SMPTE drop-frame which is a bit limiting.

Support questions took about 2 weeks to get a response on. I asked a few times via support and the newsgroups about getting an API so I could write my own interface for Samplitude but no data was returned.

Couldn't calibrate the faders so that 0 would match up with the damn marking on the surface. Also am in agreement with Wolfhounds comments.

It's all about the application drivers, and as I hear DP & PT users have a better implementation. I generally liked the design concept of the sac though. They sell for quite a discount on eBay.
Old 21st December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the solo/mute button thing is the one BIG beef i have with mine.

otoh, as i use it in DP mostly, and secondarily in PT, the drivers have been great. mine needed a factory tweak at some point as i got an early one with some kind of grounding or calibration issue, but has worked well after the factory fix (free).

other than that, it is a driver/integration issue. hadn't tried it with samplitude, so i don't know. shame they didn't get that going. i got mine because of the tight dp driver integration thing. and using it via usb is very very nice.

still waiting on a proper osx DP driver for it. they haven't updated thier website for a long time and that concerns me, although they have always returned my emails quickly. they said the osx driver would be out "soon" for DP, but that was about a month ago.
πŸ“ Reply