Quantcast
100th Window, Massive Attack's latest masterpiece? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100th Window, Massive Attack's latest masterpiece?
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
100th Window, Massive Attack's latest masterpiece?

I don't think this record will have the impact of the others.

But it's sonic quality is wide and powerful, pretty and dark. Electro grunge I'd describe it as at the moment.

It sounds more organic than Mezzanine, warmer sounding, but lacking the bite of Mezzanine.
It's all greys and blues, though.

Sinead O'Conner has depth and bravery but when she's trying to sound 'universally significant' she always sounds locked deep in her own little world, at least Bjork, seems to understand her uniqueness and sings from that place...which actually makes her more "universally significant" to me!!!.
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Any song that has that huge orchestra/mellotron/scream/stringy pad like the first single (special cases) will always get my blood running hot. I laways love the sound of Massive Attack's stuff. They always sound "new" to me. I don't think you will find many presets on their synths and stuff. It normally takes me a few listens before I can enjoy the songs on their merits. Unfinished Symphony is still a classic.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mezzanine is one of my all-time favorite albums.
I've only heard a few tracks from the new album and they
seem a bit pale in comparison, though it may take a few listens
to absorb the genius that lays beneath. They're also down to 2
of the original members, which has apparently effected the tracking
process more than they'd imagined. I will most likely
go out and buy it today, really looking forward to it.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just downloaded itevileye <g>

I never tire of hearing Teardrop. Massive Attack are one of those bands who every time I listen to 'em, I hear them differently. Early Hendrix, Beatles '65 onwards and Radiohead all have a similar effect on me...

I'm gonna get it from CD Wow now actually.....
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wasn't kidding..
I've just bought it on the web.

For those interested in the UK, both CD Wow and play.com have 100th Window for Β£8.99 inc delivery....
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I like mezzanine the best, 100th window sounds a bit boring to me, like nothing new... there was always a big step from one to the other MA albums, but I feel this is a big step down ;-(((. I expected much more. It isn't bad record though. Somehow I don't like the sound, it lacks the juice and it is flat... (loudness war?)
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's all greys and blues, though.
Ditto Renie..

As much as i LOVE Massive Attack i dont think of it as a solid progression from Mezzanine, rather a tnaget or sidebar to the dark and disturbing soundscapes of Mezzanine. I tnd to think of it as less dark and more 'brooding'.. lol... he he

Suffice to say i am digging the tones and textures and it makes me wonder why it was delayed for so long as it was mixed early last yr and as was being recorded. ....mybet is they was waiting for the copy protection thang to comeonline fully before it was released.I have only heard of one other album being copyproretected so far and that was the new album from Robbie Williams... any takers on any other albums?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh there are more colours,....... brown!

It reminds me of Tricky's Maxinquaye. In fact Maxine the female singer with Tricky could have worked well on this 100th window record. I wonder if they also delayed the release for the right "politically brooding" time.

I didn't realise it was copyprotected, isn't that a bit corporate of Del Naja?!!

I like the vocal production on his voice.
Old 12th February 2003
Founder

Renie when you say Tricky's singer Maxine do you mean Martina? Because Gearslut registrant and chum of mine Steve Crittall hashad a hand in co writting 8 tracks on her solo album due out later this year. Spike Stent has mixed a tune at Olymipc and Chad Blake has mixed several at eter Gabriels Real World. I can hook you two up to meet sometime if you are interested....The tracks I heard sounded amazing....
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Renie when you say Tricky's singer Maxine do you mean Martina? Because Gearslut registrant and chum of mine Steve Crittall hashad a hand in co writting 8 tracks on her solo album due out later this year. Spike Stent has mixed a tune at Olymipc and Chad Blake has mixed several at eter Gabriels Real World. I can hook you two up to meet sometime if you are interested....The tracks I heard sounded amazing....
Yes Martina! Delicious voice.

The project sounds really interesting.
I definitely would love to hook up with Steve.

Thanks Jules,

Renie
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
So nice to see a lot of Massive and Tricky fans here. They are my fave raves.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Martina meets Tchad Blake and Spike Stent? Pinch me!

Ouch! Not that hard!
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
although i don't disagree with the critical comments, i still love massive attack. i think the new stuff is still plenty of fun and as i just can't stand most of the hip hop and other new pop stuff on the radio/mtv, getting cd's like this is a real perk to my day. i didn't know what to expect, so i didn't feel let down by 100th window yet, but i'l give mezzanine another listen to see what i think about the progression.

i know this is getting farther off topic, but i was listening to old skinny puppy today (cleanse, fold, and manipulate) and i always thought thier value and influence on electronic music was underrated. i am less impressed by any bands that are trying to act all angry in this day and age seeing how cool and ahead of the curve skinny puppy were. what they were to anger is what massive attack is to that brooding you guys have mentioned. either way, i love both of those bands.

and i've been having a renewed interest in my bloody valentine. i love the band, but i hate most of thier recordings. can anyone recommend a good recording of my bloody valentine? i don't know if there is one. that's a band i like despite their recording quality. (also on that list is die monster die, that dog, babe the blue ox, and a few other indie type bands). many of the electronic bands i like must have enough geeks in them to get recorded right, plus as everythign goes direct it can't be as difficult to get a clean recording at least. now i'm really off on tangents. i'm gonna shut up now and get back in the studio where i should be anyway. thanks.
Old 13th February 2003
Founder

"The project sounds really interesting.
I definitely would love to hook up with Steve.

Thanks Jules,

Renie"

No sweat, a Dim Sum(mit) can be organised!

Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

No sweat, a Dim Sum(mit) can be organised!

Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
havent heard it yet but im sure its amazing.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think my personal favorite would be "Dissolved Girl" from Mezzanine.
Full of dynamics, layers, build-ups and drops, sounds and rhythms to die for.
Most definitely a headphone listening experience.
A true Massive Attack masterpiece.
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by krou
I think my personal favorite would be "Dissolved Girl" from Mezzanine.
Full of dynamics, layers, build-ups and drops, sounds and rhythms to die for.
Most definitely a headphone listening experience.
A true Massive Attack masterpiece.
While the production on Mezzanine is excellent, I wasn' crazy about Spike's mix of it. It sounds like most of his modern stuff do dry and dark.

My favorite of Spike Stent's mixes is actually "Killer"by Seal.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mac black
havent heard it yet but im sure its amazing.

and just for the true fans ,i was involved on a couple of tunes with massive(as a writer) one on mezzanin and one on the jackel ( a movie....).
the demos and ideas they send me at the time were amazing fresh and full of power.
the only think i dont like about massive is their political view (im pro war unfourtunatly).
mac black

that's interesting.

how were you involved with the writing? do you mean the vocal line, lyric or the music?

I imagine the songs evolve in such a way that it could be hard to work out writing credits...vox aside.

If you don't mind talking I'd love to hear about it.

100th window is growing further on me, it is soft to listen to and has layers that keep unfolding with listens. I love the depths they go to in a surface obsessed culture.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Could you recommend....

Hey, you guys obviously know your way around this school of music, which I don't as much. Could you recommend other, specific artists and their releases for a Massive/Tricky devotee?
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Could you recommend....

Quote:
Originally posted by Etnier
Hey, you guys obviously know your way around this school of music, which I don't as much. Could you recommend other, specific artists and their releases for a Massive/Tricky devotee?
Try Sneaker Pimps "Becoming X".

Bjork's "Debut,Post or Homogenic".
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks... I'm all over Bjork- have been since Sugarcubes...
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks... I'm all over Bjork- have been since Sugarcubes...
Tricky did some of the tracks on Debut and Post.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Any other artist someone might recommend?
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Could you recommend....

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Try Sneaker Pimps "Becoming X".

Bjork's "Debut,Post or Homogenic".

Add anything by Nellee Hooper, Howie B,Dj SHadow,Dj Krush,K&D,David Holmes,Portishead "Dummy"and Violent Indiana.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks!
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any other artist someone might recommend?
Thrill's list is very good.

I would add-going back in time- anything from 4AD particularly Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil, and The Cure.
Contemporary- Craig Armstrong, Dusted, Goldfrapp, Lamb, Sigor Ros and even Aphex Twin.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Renie and Thrill may as well have scoured my CD library with their list, great suggestions there!

I would also add to that:

Amon Tobin, DJ Vadim, Peace Orchestra, Spylab, Fila Brazilia, Lovage, Dr. Octagon, and more...

key albums:

Kruder Dorfmeister - Sessions
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Portishead - both studio albums, and the DVD 'Live at Rosleand, NYC' is wonderful.
DJ Vadim - The art of listening
Amon Tobin - Supermodifier
Xen Cuts - 3 CD compilation of Ninja Tune artist.
Fila Brazilia - "Another Late Night" (a series where the artist picks their favorite tracks, this particular one by Fila B is excellent)
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Tricky did some of the tracks on Debut and Post.
Big BjΓΈrk fan!! If I had to suggest an artist who I think has been innovative and fresh throughout a career, it would be Bjork. Debut blew me away when I first heard it. Hyperballad off Post had a similar effect.
Has anyone heard the remix album that came out after Post?(I forget the title) That was pretty cool too.

I've been working with another producer recently, Ian Caple, and he's worked with both Bjork (Sugarcubes) and Tricky. Whilst he was working with Tricky, Tricky was having a relationship with Bjork and Ian told me some really funny/mad/bizarre stories of studio goings on at that time. I wouldn't want to repeat any on a public forum but, needless to say, he confirmed what I would have imagined Bjork to be like .

Somebody mentioned Sigur RΓΈs too, who I think are fantastic. I imagine them to reflect their culture very well and I always think this is an important element of what makes a band/artist great. Bjork does it, Massive Attack "did" it (IMO), The Beatles did it, Elvis did it, The Beach Boys did it, Nirvana did it, etc...
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah

I've been working with another producer recently, Ian Caple, and he's worked with both Bjork (Sugarcubes) and Tricky. Whilst he was working with Tricky, Tricky was having a relationship with Bjork and Ian told me some really funny/mad/bizarre stories of studio goings on at that time. I wouldn't want to repeat any on a public forum but, needless to say, he confirmed what I would have imagined Bjork to be like .

I thought about Ian Caple due to the turns of this thread. "Tindersticks" are worth checking out too for the curious. Funny when I met Ian he told me a story about Tricky!!!

πŸ“ Reply