How loud do you monitor your mix? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How loud do you monitor your mix?
Old 18th July 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk106 ➡️
I have found that for me, a static volume (or static listening perspective) doesn't work as well. It feels too stale, my head and senses tends to fall asleep like how your feet falls asleep if you stand static on the same spot all the time. I start adapting to the sound instead of the other way around (Habituation), I feel like I lose perspective, miss details that I later will pick up on like "gah, how could I have missed that?".
This is gold.

I normally do monitor fairly low, but the problem was when the volume cranked up I worried about how much my crappy untreated room started to affect my judgment. Maybe I should try monitoring loudish with headphones?
Or just keep bringing my mixes over to my friend with the duntechs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
79db-82db.

Yes I am careful.

Not too quiet to me(but others would beg to differ).heh

No my hearing is still mostly intact(and I grew up spinning at parties and in clubs).

Yes monitoring in this range(79db-82db) has always worked for me.

Peace.
+10000000000, what Thrill said! To add to that, my monitoring is accurate and resolves well at those volumes. If your mix is good and punchy at that volume, it will be at any volume! I have protected and retained my hearing as well, mostly because I don't mix at loud volumes.
I mix so low that sometimes the client is wondering what the hell I'm doing lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy like sound ➡️
This is gold.

I normally do monitor fairly low, but the problem was when the volume cranked up I worried about how much my crappy untreated room started to affect my judgment. Maybe I should try monitoring loudish with headphones?
Or just keep bringing my mixes over to my friend with the duntechs?
Try to learn how your room and monitors etc. affects the sound at loud levels, and take that into account. Just like you will need to learn your own personality, and take that into account when relating to other people - or else you'll have endless conflicts.

You're not flat like a robot, you got personality, and similarly there is no speaker, room or level (or engineer) that will be flat either, no tools or environment that will enable you the utopia to "just listen and trust what you hear". Everything has personality and the only way to counteract that is to learn what that personality is, and take it into account.

Any attempt to reach the "just listen and trust it" utopia, usually tends to fooling oneself with mixes translating bad. My way is to listen to everything, in all kinds of configurations and combinations, from every angle and perspective I can find. I would do that even if I was sitting at Oceanways or some other studio palace. Lower volume will probably stress your ears less and make it easier to work longer hours. But just learning your environment is essential.
📝 Reply