🎧 15 years
Royer 122 + MoogerFooger Ring Modulator

I just ordered these two goodies...

http://www.royerlabs.com/activemics.html

http://www.moogmusic.com/cgi-local/S...a94+1070654481

To be delivered by next Wednesday...

rollz Anybody want to prime the pump with
rollz some amusing & helpful anecdotes regarding
rollz either of these delightful devices...?

AlphaJ, you've got a bunch of MoogerFoogers, don'cha...?

Thanks,
Old 7th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i have SEVEN moogerfoogers. 2 lp filters, 2 phasers, the analog delay and the ring modulator... along with the CP251.

how is this for multiples? we are going to do another pic soon with my seven with another 13 my friend owns and the voyager....

so what do you want to know? i use the ring modulator mostly as a treMELLOW.... i hope you got an expression pedal for it too, makes it VERY versatile.
Old 7th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
One thing to remember with a Royer R-121 [or an R-122] is that the ribbon is mounted 'off center' in the magnet structure... so the back [non logo side] is brighter sounding than the front [logo side] of the microphone... so, if you are looking for a brighter tone... flip the mic around backwards. It's still a 'figure 8' pattern... but the net result may be more to your liking.

They also have an interesting "off axis" response... so, by turning the mic in like 5 degree increments, you can use this property of the microphone as one of the best equalizers you'll ever meet when getting a guitar tone.

Enjoy.
Old 7th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i have SEVEN moogerfoogers. 2 lp filters, 2 phasers, the analog delay and the ring modulator... along with the CP251.
I need to play with one of the ring modulators - I've thought about getting one for years to do the Don Ellis thing. In fact, somewhere around, I may have the schematics for Oberheim's Ring Modulator - the brand Don used. I was planning on having someone build it for me, but never got around to it...
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So does Bob bring those by, himself?

He's up there 'on the hill' with ya, ain't he?
Old 7th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
nah... but i do know most of moog music and have talked with bob a couple times and see him at the shop every so often. dont really know what to say to him other than he builds some pretty wicked pedals.

i dont know how it compares to the oberheim... im not that big of a fan of [metallic] ring modulation... like i said, i use it as a wicked tremelo, you can actually set it up like a traditional tremelo or you can have it vary between two speeds to be like

baaa
baaa
baaa
baaa
baa
baa
ba
ba
ba
ba
baa
baaa
baaa
baaa
etc...

which is pretty damn cool.

my favs are the other 3 pedals [analog delay, phaser and lp filter] and use those more often. the lp filter is incredible on bass... and i got two to do some wicked stereo wah tricks like having one go up while the other goes down. have two phasers which is just sick in stereo when you get the two sync'd together.... add that CP251 into the analog delay with the sample and hold is pretty kick ass as well.
Old 7th February 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
The Royers kick ass
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
One thing to remember with a Royer R-121 [or an R-122] is that the ribbon is mounted 'off center' in the magnet structure... so the back [non logo side] is brighter sounding than the front [logo side] of the microphone... so, if you are looking for a brighter tone... flip the mic around backwards. It's still a 'figure 8' pattern... but the net result may be more to your liking.

They also have an interesting "off axis" response... so, by turning the mic in like 5 degree increments, you can use this property of the microphone as one of the best equalizers you'll ever meet when getting a guitar tone.

Enjoy.
Don't forget to flip the phase on your mic pre when you do this.

Alpha, I'm quite jealous of your moog collection. Specifically the analog delay pedal.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
so what do you want to know?
Alpha,

Do these MF pedals 'expect' a Hi-Z (guitar, etc) input...?

IOW, if I use the Ring Mod to process a pre-recorded track,
do I need to transform from Lo to Hi-Z (i.e. w/a 're-amp')...?

And thanks everybody for your tips and suggestions...

P.S. Nice avatar, Kent...yuktyy
Old 12th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 20to20
Alpha,

Do these MF pedals 'expect' a Hi-Z (guitar, etc) input...?

IOW, if I use the Ring Mod to process a pre-recorded track,
do I need to transform from Lo to Hi-Z (i.e. w/a 're-amp')...?
i never have... but i usually run it out my unbalanced outputs on my 2408. i have never tried running balanced i/o. i will ask them. i should hear back tomorrow... if i havent i will call down and ask, hell... i'll be in town and stop by.
Old 12th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Be a little more careful with High SPL sources when flipping the Royer around 180 degrees like Fletcher mentions. The Ribbon will now be closer (since it is mounted forwards a bit) to the magnet structure on the opposite side of the mic. Higher chance of the element hitting somethingtutt
I've never experienced this... have you?
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No - I've got R-121 and a SF-12 - no problems for me when switching backwards. Obviously - it works fine on the stereo unit too.

slightly off topic - I've only got two moogerfoogers - but they are both ltd edition Analog units - I like using them to create swoopy stereo analog delays (set slighty different). Here's a nice picture of the pair along with their friend "Luci".
Attached Thumbnails
Royer 122 + MoogerFooger Ring Modulator-dualmf104b.jpg  
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Oh I hope that picture wasn't too big for you 56k dialup guys. I connect them unbalanced (and with a crap cable if you didn't notice).tutt
Old 12th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i PUNISH my royer R121 on LOUD LOUD LOUD half stacks... takes the beating like a crack ho does from her pimp.... front and back side.
Old 13th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
my reply from dem:
Is a very good question, no? Input expects a signal from -16 dBm to +4 dBm - we call that instrument level to line level... Input impedance is 1 meg...
You don't NEED a Reamp - but it would be interesting to see the difference in performance...I know some people use them.
The manual states the nominal output as -4dBm (max is +8 dBm I believe), 600 Ohm impedance.
Inputs and outputs are Unbalanced...

actually ran into him in town today but this is the email reply.
Old 13th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Be a little more careful with High SPL sources when flipping the Royer around 180 degrees like Fletcher mentions. The Ribbon will now be closer (since it is mounted forwards a bit) to the magnet structure on the opposite side of the mic. Higher chance of the element hitting something
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I have experienced this, recently in fact. I blew one of my 121s on a gtr overdub session late last month. It started with a cranked (ear splitting level) early 70's fawn Marshall JCM into a 4x12. I had used the 121 with the same player and amp at the same volume before, so I threw up the ribbon logo side about 5 or 6 inches from the cab. We got a happening sound did a couple of takes and decided we needed it a bit brighter. No problem, just flip the Royer and grab some more highs. Big ****ing problem, three chords and she was gone. I grabbed my db meter after the incident and it measured 126db at the mic's location. It is a Radio Shack meter and its max is 126db so, I'm not sure if that measurments very accurate. I've had my 121s for three years and didn't think I'd ever blow one. Oh well, live and learn!! It did sound balls for those three chords though.

robp
www.witchdoctorrecording.com
Old 13th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
first one is free i think.
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey AJ,

Thanks for your 'from-the-horse's-mouth' reply...

I got the Royer today (!!!), but the new
delivery date for the Mooger is next Monday...

So, I'll try the two approaches, and report back...

FWIW, I just rigged-up a little 'Reamp' circuit...

I used an Imp (Whirlwind transformer/adapter)
+ a short, homemade 1/4"TRS - XLR(M) cable...

And then hooked that up (in the back)
to a channel on a balanced patchbay...

So now I can just hop a patch from AUX OUT (from my mixer),
thru the 'reamp loop', then into a stompbox...

I'll probably then go from the pedal into the DI of my RNP,
then back to a new mixer channel...
πŸ“ Reply