Quantcast
Cheap slutty mics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheap slutty mics
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cheap slutty mics

One of my recent purchases was one of the Chinese mics from Studio Projects, the C1. It has a really clean sound but not a mix popping result for vocals. Anyone use these chinese mics? Any strong recommendations in the under $300 category? Looking mainly for vocals.
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try the octava md-319 available at yer local L.G.S.(large guitar supermarket...or evil empire) for under 2hunnerd...be sure and try out as many as they stock cause the differences in each mic is considerable...there are 'good' ones to be had and its rooskie not chineese....through a decent pre mine sounds great and itll take quite a bit in spl....luck...
Old 7th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Vocals are one of those things where you need to try a bunch of different mics to see what works well on your voice or the singers voice. For under $300 I'd suggest trying an SM7, RE-20 (about that used), 421, AT4033, Oktava MC012, and the good old SM57.
Old 8th February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Oldone, cutting 2dB @ 12kHz does the trick on my voice with the C1. You may also want to experiment more with EQ too.

Chris
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My voice gets really boomy in the low-mids with the C1 for some reason. After I cut a little of that out though it sounds nice and airy and is an excellent choice if the song calls for that.

As for the Oktava mics, if you're going to get some don't buy them from GC. They get good ones every so often, but finding the right ones is quite a task and if the one's near you are like they are in CA., they won't let you return mics if you get a turd.

To avoid this scenario (and also having to search for a decent one) you might get some from http://www.sound-room.com/. I bought a matched pair of MC012's from there and they rock. Really nice mics for cheap and all tested for quality and matched one by one.
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
infiniteposse,

I use the same technique on the C1. I roll off the lo end and it starts to work. However, in my experience I have to spend an inordinate amount of time getting a voice centered track to stand out with it. I would relegate it to a great background vocal mic but it doesn't carry the detail that some others do for a ballad or pop type of song.

It's funny. I was going to buy the Oktava at GC today but decided to hold off. Good advice.
Old 9th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
...I'd suggest trying an SM7, RE-20 (about that used), 421, ...and the good old SM57.
And I wouldn't waste a dime on cheap condensers until I had good dynamic vocal mikes and a decent preamp available. The Beyer M-88 is another "must."

Each of these mikes regularly beats even the high-priced spread in the real world.
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I concur that the the Oktava's build quality/reliability is pretty dicey. I have 3 I got in trade and never used them again after a "random spluttering noise" episode. In fact, I'd advise you not to buy anything Russian that isn't labelled "vodka" !

My crazy old man wants me to go on the trans siberian express -it's bloody dangerouse enough going to Paddington these days
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by adam_w
I concur that the the Oktava's build quality/reliability is pretty dicey. I have 3 I got in trade and never used them again after a "random spluttering noise" episode. In fact, I'd advise you not to buy anything Russian that isn't labelled "vodka" !

My crazy old man wants me to go on the trans siberian express -it's bloody dangerouse enough going to Paddington these days
I took an internal flight from in the Ukraine from Kiev to Dnepropetrovsk on a Yak 40!
The seats were loose, the seatbelts didn't work and one of the tyres on the plane was bald! Only reason I agreed to get on board was that it had three engines and I couldn't believe tat all three could fail on a one hour flight!!!
lovl

Regards

Roland
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I dont REALLY recommend buying the octavas either unless you have a BUNCH to pick from...our local 'evil guitar empire' here was having this gigantic sale and they had 20 of these md319s in stock...i went into their 'mixing room' ya know ...the mackie mausoleum...and through a little vlz mixer dinked around with evryone of those mics till i found two i liked...they were such a wide range in responses that through a set of phones it was very easy to tell which ones were 'off'...anyway we got a 'good' one...i looked at that octava testing site and i think i'd rather put in my personal time trying them out than paying 'retail' for em...JMHO
Old 10th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
One of the "problems" with doing that is that the mic you buy and spent all that time finding might die within a short time. I bought about 8 or 9 MC012's and tried them all at the studio on acoustic guitar until I found two that were similar and bought those. About three weeks later one of them died and I got a random replacement because I was within 30 days of the purchase. If I was out of that window I would've been SOL. Still for vocals I'd look into solid dynamic mics like the SM7 and others I mentioned.

Best of luck in the search,
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Still for vocals I'd look into solid dynamic mics like the SM7 and others I mentioned.

Best of luck in the search,
I don't know what it's like in the States, but SM7's seem very thin on the ground in the UK. Has anyone seen any in the UK recently? How much are they going for now?
πŸ“ Reply