Favorite vocal processor-eq?
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Gotcha

What kind of things can you do to salvage overloaded vocals? I've messed multiband compression for this a bit, but it always feels like turd polishing.

And there are definitely times where I don't/can't retrack, even if the sound sucks.
Well the way I multiband is I split the vocal on different tracks with different chains of EQ/compression. What I do is automate between different chains.

For eg: If the vocal has digital distortion on some passages(usually on the Choruses or high points) and the verses are fine, I would try an "all tube chain" or all "iron"or a mixture in the chorus and a "regular" chain in the verses.

All tube might be: Massive Passive-->Gates STA-level,LA2A,TSL1 or EAR 660 through a Pultec.

All iron: Usually a Neve combo: Comp(2254e or 32264a) to a 1073 or 1081.

A mixture might be:Massive Passive---> Neve comp with Pultec or 1073 with a Gates STA level

Another trick is to run the vocal through a "tube" multitrack machine(usually an Ampex 440).Some mastering guys i know have these around to warm up stereo tracks that lack warmth.

Another is to run it thorugh a Class A line amplifier-ML,Krell or Threshold.

In all these cases I am creating a "new" vocal sound that I will finish up with some radical EQ and other things. Sometimes you have to split the vocal even more. I will put it back together with automation.
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You know I almost forgot the TC DBMAX.

A most indespensable tool for digital problems. It has great programs for fixing the problem above and many others.

I also use it for its radio presets and MP3 presets.
📝 Reply