Quantcast
DAC1 Production Shots - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAC1 Production Shots
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DAC1 Production Shots

I figured that I'd post some pics of part of the next batch of DAC1's waiting to go to their new owners. The shots you see are units awaiting the power supply trannies, hence the large screw sticking up out of them. One of these could be yours!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DAC1 Production Shots-dacsc.jpg  
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heh
Attached Thumbnails
DAC1 Production Shots-dacsa.jpg  
Old 5th February 2003
Old 5th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can just make out the one that has my name on it... somewhere in the back there towards the far left corner....

It's kind of sobering to see the DAC1's in mass production. Takes away some of the romantic notion that the one I'm going to win will be unique!

heh
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's hardly mass production. There are a grand total of 39 of them in that picture. we're waiting on trannies to come in for the power supply. Just to the left of the shelf that they are on in the picture is the workstation of the tech who does all of the final assembly on every DAC1, Joel. All in all about six people work on every DAC1 by hand to get it built. All in this little shop in freezing cold Syracuse NY . The only reason that all of those DAC1's are even in a stack like that at all is simply because we don't have the stupid transformers in yet! Oh well.
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Can you put a cover on mine, I don't like it to get dusty
inside.

Thanks in advance,
ISPdeRuiter
Old 6th February 2003
Founder

There is a half eaten jelly doughnut just visable in one of the open units...

Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
There is a half eaten jelly doughnut just visable in one of the open units...

heh heh heh

I told them no Krispy Kreme in Productionheh
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hello there,

I´m new on this forum and maybe shall introduce myself in short before asking. I´m not so much experienced as many of you seem to be, got only a Digi 001, Mindprint A/D, Yorkville active speakers and a Demeter preamp to come. Yet, I love good sound for sure and consider myself quite gear addicted.
Coming from the Digidesign forum I decided to check in here too as it appears to me that old hands here have a lot of knowledge which could certainly be enriching for me when I should have questions.
BTW; I´m no native speaker ( from Germany ).

Atticus,
I have one question to you since Benchmarks customers service e-mail doesn´t work ( mails return ).
Having just ordered the DAC1, I wonder if it was possible to find a way to hook on speakers as well as outboard gear ( for overdubbing ) without having to unplug the one for the other each time.
( Unfortunately the scond pair of outs is only unbalanced RCAs. )

If I would plug in an adapter cable on the balanced outputs of the DAC1 and hook up two receiving devices in order to switch between the receiving units ..

Could it cause damage if I would eventually forget to switch off one of the receiving devices, so that both were still on while being connected to the DAC1?
( Provided, this happening while the DAC1 not being turned up to max levels anyway, I mean.)

Thankx for any advice,

Ruphus
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ruphus,

If you put a splitter after the output of the DAC1 I can't see how any damage would be caused. Mastering engineers do this within their consoles all of the time and not one of them has ever mentioned a problem to me about it. If you need to e-mail customer service (that wouldbe meheh ) the e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks David,

I wasn´t sure if it could cause problems to split the signal in a passive way.
Nice to hear that it is no problem to do so.

Thank you for your help and have a nice weekend,

Ruphus
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just an FYI but all of those DAC1's in the above picture have now been completed and shipped. I know that Mercenary will have stock of them, and so may Leo's Pro Audio in San Francisco, and Studio Tech in Texas. We are almost done planning the contest for the DAC1 giveaway so it won't be long.
Old 21st February 2003
Founder

David,
What would you recomend for as a switcher device betweeen my Main (self powered) and alt (ghettto blaster) monitors?

TIA
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Takes away some of the romantic notion that the one I'm going to win will be unique!
The one you're going to win!?!?

Oh no you DI-INT!!.... That's mine, Beeotch.

heh

-dave
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
David,
What would you recomend for as a switcher device betweeen my Main (self powered) and alt (ghettto blaster) monitors?

TIA
You could probably get something from Coleman Audio, but I had our tech build a box with a button on it that switched a relay on one of the monitor-output pairs of of a ProControl at my old studio.

The output of that relay box then sent the signal to any pair of amps (or active monitors) and I used it on occasion to switch between the big nasty "mains" and a pair of little 3" Archer speakers I used as my "worst-case scenario"-checkers.. The relay box worked quite niftily, cost very little in parts and took him about 15minutes to build.

Oops, wrong David...

-dave
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd go the homemade, passive route as mentioned above. It would be cheap and clean Really all you would need is a switch. I also have found a cool way to monitor several digital sources through one DAC1. You can just use a cheap video switcher box going into the coax connector on the DAC1. All video switchers are 75ohms anyways so it really works well.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules,

If it helps you any, I just bought the Coleman LS3 3 way monitor switcher for a little over $100. It's passive, and transparent. Something you might want to take a look at.

They also make a rackmount version, the MS6R Alternate Speaker Switcher $425.

Imagine
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wooo hooo i can finally post
📝 Reply