Quantcast
The Omnipressor® - Eventide - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Omnipressor® - Eventide
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Omnipressor® - Eventide

Eventide's new PT plug's look very interesting and well priced $695 for the bundle.
I'm curious about the Omnipressor, from the website:
"The Omnipressor® (1971-1984) is a compressor with an attitude._ Widely used on hit records throughout the 70s and 80s, one of our first customers was Brian May, lead guitarist of Queen."
Does anyone have experience of the hardware version?
Old 3rd February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Yes... it has a very unique tone and texture... a little difficult to describe with words... but cool none the less.
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you've every seen Dave Derr do a demo of the Distressor when he puts it into overdrive, you've sort of got the idea. It mixes compression with expansion. You can ridiculously clamp down above a threshold and give gain below, with indepedent control of each. You can go ott with rooms or overheads for an obvious example, or in the case of May, use is to increase sustain in a guitar while taming pick attacks. If you don't have great room mics, it can hammer the oh's into oblivion on the way into a verb and voila, real loud drums in a room. Interesting stuff, and the plug does a great job of it.

ps. the bundle is fantastic. the first plugs that actually sound like a record is supposed to sound.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
that is the exact sound I am looking for which was one of the reasons I was gonna buy the distressor...but I'll try this first..I was looking for the Fatboy Slim/Chemical Brothers drum sound...hopefully this will do the trick
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'd buy em in a minute if they also had them for mas or au or whateve the hell i'll need this year. i use a mix plus alot at a place i freelance at, but only have two PT le systems at home , the big one also has a great DP setup, which is what i mostly use at home. anyhow, i'd love to get the eventide set of plugs for that. i know know, they don't have anything yet and haven't announced anything. but i absolutely would pony up the dough if they were released in some native form. hey eventide, give me MAS !!!pretty please.

ps: i still really enjoy my eclipse
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds interesting, thanks for the info.

If it rocks at the 'bigbeat' style that will be cool.

Hopefully a demo will be available soon, certainly could do with some more quality compressor flavours in PT...
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Give me RTAS!

Everyone's so worried about the piracy thing - but the people that pirate software would never actually pay money anyway. It's a lost cause.

In the meantime though they are missing out on people like myself who would actually buy the stuff, but can't cause it's not available for native systems.

Stepping off soapbox...
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
Give me RTAS!

Everyone's so worried about the piracy thing - but the people that pirate software would never actually pay money anyway. It's a lost cause.

In the meantime though they are missing out on people like myself who would actually buy the stuff, but can't cause it's not available for native systems.

Stepping off soapbox...
Oh right TDM only, I didn't notice. At least there are lots of new RTAS developments for the PT platform. But yes, exclusion round these plug-in's is disappointing for the non-TDM crew.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Little known secret, but as I understand it, Digi decides if you can make an RTAS plug or not. It's part of the licensing agreement. They're not very interested in letting TDM users jump ship and go native.
Old 5th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by robdarling
Little known secret, but as I understand it, Digi decides if you can make an RTAS plug or not. It's part of the licensing agreement. They're not very interested in letting TDM users jump ship and go native.
grudge

Rob,

Have you got Waves Soundblender plug's? If so how does the new Eventide plug-ins compare? It's supposed to be another Eventide bunch that designed the Waves stuff....
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never really been a fan of the soundblender stuff. Tries to do too much and doesn't get it well. This bunch of Eventides stays simple, in the land of the old boxes, and doesn't **** it up. Very musically useable sounds.
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by robdarling
I've never really been a fan of the soundblender stuff. Tries to do too much and doesn't get it well. This bunch of Eventides stays simple, in the land of the old boxes, and doesn't **** it up. Very musically useable sounds.
Yep, it's way too awkward, but after persevering with it, I have gotten to like what it can do. Look forward to the Eventide bundle..

cheers
Old 7th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Just thought I should clarify - SoundBlender is made by Wave Mechanics (not Waves). We are a bunch of ex-Eventidys. Bob Belcher and Dave Derr and myself conceived and designed the H3000. Bob (who worked round the clock designed the hardware and software works here at Wave Mechanics). Dave owns Empirical labs and built the amazing Distressor and Fatso.

I agree about the SoundBlender interface being overly deep. I designed it, and still find myself occasionally needing to read the manual (even though I wrote that too!). I haven't had any complaints about the sound or musicality, though. It's really capable of creating effects that you can't get anywhere else, and the pitch-shifting and filters are definitely better (in my opinion) than the ones that we coded into the harmonizers.

As far as the usability goes, our new line called SoundToys has both great sounds, and simple UIs. And they'll be available for RTAS.

-- Ken
Old 7th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by KenBogdanowicz
Just thought I should clarify - SoundBlender is made by Wave Mechanics (not Waves). We are a bunch of ex-Eventidys. Bob Belcher and Dave Derr and myself conceived and designed the H3000. Bob (who worked round the clock designed the hardware and software works here at Wave Mechanics). Dave owns Empirical labs and built the amazing Distressor and Fatso.

I agree about the SoundBlender interface being overly deep. I designed it, and still find myself occasionally needing to read the manual (even though I wrote that too!). I haven't had any complaints about the sound or musicality, though. It's really capable of creating effects that you can't get anywhere else, and the pitch-shifting and filters are definitely better (in my opinion) than the ones that we coded into the harmonizers.

As far as the usability goes, our new line called SoundToys has both great sounds, and simple UIs. And they'll be available for RTAS.

-- Ken
Ken,

Thanks for the post and clarification! It's great stuff to know.

Looking forward to hearing the SoundToys.

I hope you don't drop Soundblender!!

Renie
Old 7th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
We're not planning on dropping any of our plugs. They've all just been ported to OS X for PT 6.0 compatibility, and should be available within the next week or so.

-- Ken
Old 8th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey Ken do you plan on doing a SoundToys bundle? I am going to buy filter freak but I will probably get most of the others and rather save on bundle if that means waiting...also will most of the plug-ins be out by summer?
Old 10th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, and yes. We will offer full credit towards the bundle for anyone that buys FilterFreak now.

-- Ken
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You're great, Ken. I'm Jonesing for the SoundToys stuff, but I really want to see TDM. When do you expect that to happen?
Old 15th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
We don't yet have any dates for TDM release yet. We've been working pretty hard on both the SoundToys, and on getting UltraTools shipping on OSX - this has kept us really busy! The first SoundToys release will be both RTAS and HTDM, which will at least give you the ability to use the plugs in a TDM session, albeit with some of the drawbacks of the HTDM format.

-- Ken
📝 Reply