TL AUDIO VTC - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TL AUDIO VTC
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TL AUDIO VTC

Hi

I am looking for a console at the moment and have had lots of useful things come up in Gearslutz searches. One of the things I cant find is info on the TL Audio VTC.

I am running pro tools so I'd rather have something with colour than totally transparent. I would rather have a great eq than loads of features. I want a desk that will be a focal point for the studio and the clients, rather than loads of rack gear instead. Having said that, I dont have time or money to get a really big desk, and this one seems fairly compact. I like the idea of finding a 16 channel one and then being able to add to the frame in a couple of years, which I understand you can do. I have not had very good experiences with new TC outboard, finding it all fuzzy rather than warm, but I have read that this desk is a different sound altogether. I love the sound of my Chiswick compressor becuase it's warm and huge but still airy. If the VTC sounds anything like that it would be very popular around here.

I'd appreciate any opinions from you guys....

Thanks

Jack
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sly.....

A dealer had one in stock last year... i had a fiddle with it for a few hours and it did not give me a 'euphonic valve' hardon! that a lot of 'GOOD' tube gear happens to give me..... but im spoilt cos i have only really known Neve.

I must admit i was VERY interested in the concept of the all valve console. But from my experience TL audio stuff isnt exactly 'all valve', it mainly just ****ty ICs that pass through a tube stage at some point int he circuit. But the promo for this desk was very kool so it more than piqued my interest. But i was caught int he moment of a valve console and failed to realise that its a commercial product and sonic compromises must be made somewhere... unless u r from that crew in german y making that truly all tube monster console where money truly was no object in the pursit of sonic excellence... i digress

The EQ was kinda useable but on the same hand broad. Dont expect a kik drum to make NS-10 cones shake like thunder when u EQ them. I didnt get to try the mic pres so i cant make an informed statement about them.

If you are searching or a console that is 'novelty' and will attract some cleintel cos its 'valve/tube'.. it will only really attract sheep clientel thos that know will go for classics like the big names etc. If you are trying to get external engineers in who have had some time on 'regular' studio consoles they prolly wont dig it cos the novelty factor will prolly end up turning them away... maybe its just me but it didnt rub me up the right way. Suffice to say if it gives you a woody and does everything that you are looking for go for it!!

Me personally i woould spend $45K Aus far wiser with a nice second hand desk with the rest of the moeny devoted to mics and outboard AD/DA and EQ/FX and com and pres.... YMMV

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Wiggy. That confirms my gut instinct about it....great on paper but not quite there. If I'm to spend money on a console, it needs to attract people who want to mix on it. I think I'll see whats up with the Calrec at FJ. Much cheaper.
J
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah... Calrec ROCK and are very underated... that one in partiuclar is a monster desk with lotsa EQ/channels etc and it has lotsa stereo channels!

check it

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 29th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have any more experience with this console, any positive?
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a fair amount of experience using TLAudio outboard mic pres when I first was getting started. While they can sound nice on certain things, they suffered from having very little headroom, or at least that's how it seemed to me. Didn't take much to drive them into unpleasant distortion. Plus the pots seemed to get noisy very quickly.

I will say that the console looked pretty cool when i first saw it at an AES show a few years ago. Might throw off a lot of heat though. But as Wiggy said, I think it looks a lot better than it actually sounds, and I wouldn't trust the build quality particularly either.
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you want a killer tube front end console than check out the Inwards Connection MP820:

www.boutiqueaudio.com

I've talked to a couple guys that have it and they think its bananas!!!

Transformers and tubes.
Old 29th May 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
If you want a killer tube front end console than check out the Inwards Connection MP820:

www.boutiqueaudio.com

I've talked to a couple guys that have it and they think its bananas!!!

Transformers and tubes.
Holy Shi#t! that thing looks sweet...and you can get with pultecs or la2a's built in...sweet!

Now I need a 16 channel version with 4 la2a and 4 pultecs... thanks TF for the lead.
πŸ“ Reply