Califorication snare sound? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Califorication snare sound?
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Califorication snare sound?

Love the snare on this Red Hot CHilli Peppers song. Anyone have knowledge of the signal chain? Seems like it isn't too squashed?
Old 30th January 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
RR squishes evrything without mercy and without exception. Maybe he was using a loose snare and only tape compression.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry to sound ignorant, but who is RR?
Old 30th January 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Rick Rubin
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There is a great article on the recording of that album. If you go to www.sospubs.co.uk and type in red hot chili peppers in the search area , it will bring it up. They talk w/ the engineer who did it all.

Hope this helps.

Farm Sounds
Old 30th January 2003
Founder

Sounds to me like a piccalo with a Distressor on it..

Jules
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it just me or is that record one of the absolute worst mastering job of all time...
Old 30th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I'd guess that the snare was in the 5 1/2 to 4 1/2 x 14" range, tuned fairly tight but not quite screaming for it's life. Add some room mics and lots of compression. Oh, and Chadd Smith.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm sooooo bored with the piccolo into the distressor sound.
Old 30th January 2003
Founder

Well its super loud! Add to that the fact that the Peppers have joined ranks with Lenny Kraviz and to make autotuned vocals part of their vocal 'signature sound'... and you have what I call a 'cyber album'...

Old 30th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Wow, I never realised that.
Kravitz so obviously idolises people like Hendrix and Sly Stone, I never thought he would over use something like Autotune.......
and with a studio full of boutique vintage gear.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chad Smith has his own signature snare that sounds just like the snare on that record. I dont know what the dimensions are, but I'm sure its on the Pearl webpage under the signature series.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yes, I have also noticed the mastering on that record. Through hi fi headphones I can hear clipping everywhere, and through HD600's, it's painfully obvious. I can't believe they released something that sounds like" digital" clipping.tut

But what do I know , it was a huge hit that sold millions, go figure.
I see the same guy mastered "By the way" and it sounds really good. Can't believe the auto tune though. Am I the only one that hears the "warble" on the "Zephyr song"??

It's almost like nobody is doing any critical listening through phones???

Farm Sounds
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Farm sounds
Yes, I have also noticed the mastering on that record.
Farm Sounds
Their was a thread on this a long time ago on how this was done on purpose.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Well its super loud! Add to that the fact that the Peppers have joined ranks with Lenny Kraviz and to make autotuned vocals part of their vocal 'signature sound'... and you have what I call a 'cyber album'...

In the case of the RHCP it's clearly necessary! Have you ever seen them on a late night show? Yikes.

Seeing them in '89 was still one of my favorite shows though.
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Farm Sounds, The article was cool. He actually used an 1176 at 4 to 1 on the snare according to the article (Neve pre and 57 mic). The snare on that song just sounds so natural to me. He said he didn't use any reverb on it either which may be a part of it. Interesting about the digital clipping because it was recorded on 2 inch and mixed onto 1/2 inch, so it must have been in the mastering part. The vocals were done with a 57 as well. Interesting stuff.
Old 31st January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
In the case of the RHCP it's clearly necessary! Have you ever seen them on a late night show? Yikes.

Seeing them in '89 was still one of my favorite shows though.
I'm jealous. In '89 I was 11 years old and watching them play Higher Ground and Behind the Sun on MTV. My two favorite RHCP albums are Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar though Uplift Mofo Party Plan doesn't exactly suck. Still, they're albums have never sounded all that great. That all changed with Mothers. Still, they're a pretty straightforward band. It's kinda hard to **** up four guys who know how to play what they play.

And when I listen to the Peppers I really don't care if Anthony Kedis' vocals are in-tune or not. When I put on a Peppers disc that should be the last thing I worry about. If I want to hear great singing I'll throw on some Sinatra or whatever. **** that. I think Auto-tuning Peppers vocals is moraly wrong. Would you put Parry Ferrel through Auto-tune???? I mean, you should do what's right for the music and tuning RHCP vox is not the best thing for that music IMNSHO.
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto above post!
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
As an old shool RHCP fan, I can't imagine that they would have a problem with slightly out of tune vocals... it's part of the character for them... I haven't owned any of their more recent albums, but from what I've heard on the radio, the vocals are still intonationally challenged here and there...

Jules are you sure about that?
Old 31st January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
autotune in all the wrong places

Anybody remember the band "X"?

A big part of their appeal was that Exene Cervenka could not sing in tune. She always sang about a half step down... it was uncanny how it worked, and she wasn't trying to do it.

I'm trying to imagine what they would've sounded like if autotune existed and was the norm then. Probably ****ty.
Old 1st February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Speaking of out of tune vocals that work... what about the Dead? Three and four part harmony that's so out it's sick but they get away with it. Auto-tune would never work for them.
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't even get me started on the Dead...
Old 2nd February 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
RHCP snare sound? *BLECH!!!* Hey, I know it's all personal taste, and everyone has thier likes and dislikes... But I just can't stand that californication snare sound. I think Rubin could have done better by miking up a garbage can lid!

Again, it's all personal taste, but I'll take an 8 inch maple Craviotto any day over a Chad Smith signature snare.
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
RHCP snare sound? *BLECH!!!* Hey, I know it's all personal taste, and everyone has thier likes and dislikes... But I just can't stand that californication snare sound. I think Rubin could have done better by miking up a garbage can lid!
Again, it's all personal taste, but I'll take an 8 inch maple Craviotto any day over a Chad Smith signature snare."

Well like you say it's personal taste. I grew up listening to Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix so maybe we have different view points. I personally am not fond of the Metal sound. Present day I'm more digging like Pearl Jam (and some others), so maybe we're just into a different vibe.
Old 3rd February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
It's all for different tastes. RR hates reverb and loves compression, and the mix between HiFi LoFi. His productions are always clear and intelligible, and you can turn them up with the GEQ on your boombox full out and it somehow sounds the same as it would on a good system. It's his style, maybe it wouldn't work for the London Symphony, it would surely be interesting.
Old 3rd February 2003
SawSlut

🎧 15 years
Hey, I've got no problem with Rubin... Go check out "Seasons the in Abyss" Now THAT is a great snare!
Old 14th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rojo7 ➑️
RR squishes evrything without mercy and without exception. Maybe he was using a loose snare and only tape compression.
Wrong,
Rick Rubin doesn't even touch a button
m03
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo ➑️
Wrong,
Rick Rubin doesn't even touch a button
Maybe he still did 16 years ago, which was when this thread was last posted in.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds ➑️
There is a great article on the recording of that album. If you go to Sound On Sound | The World's Premier Music Recording Technology Magazine and type in red hot chili peppers in the search area , it will bring it up. They talk w/ the engineer who did it all.

Hope this helps.

Farm Sounds
I just read that article not to long ago. It was very informative.
πŸ“ Reply