Quantcast
Genelec 1031 or 1032 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 1031 or 1032 ?
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Genelec 1031 or 1032 ?

What's the +/- , I can either purchase new 1031's or used 1032's in good condition. What do you think?

The 1032's might help me skip on purchasing a sub, (not for monitoring, but for rumbling the tamales of clients), then turn of the sub for mixing.

the 1031" I will need a sub, eh?

thanks,
Bruce

I have been asking many question lately, thanks for all the help and advise.
I'll try not to over do my welcome.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Buy 1030 and a 1092a sub. Killer combination.
They 1030 have more definition (to me) as the 1031 and with the sub, you have about the same spectrum.
Try to get a test pair and listen. Then buy what "you" like more.
Or Dynaudio BM 15 ? More Hifi, but very pleasing to my ears even without a sub.

kosi
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
Buy 1030 and a 1092a sub. Killer combination.
They 1030 have more definition (to me) as the 1031 and with the sub, you have about the same spectrum.
Try to get a test pair and listen. Then buy what "you" like more.
Or Dynaudio BM 15 ? More Hifi, but very pleasing to my ears even without a sub.

kosi
You Bastard!!!

I rarely read someone else's post in which I agree with every little point they make, particularly about monitors.

But you're exactly right, and I agree with every thing you say.

I have had these on long lends in order to compare (Dynaudios, Genelecs, etc.), spoken with Genelec engineers who prefer the 1030 to the 1031, and agree with every word of your post.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 28th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Ditto above, although I think the 1031's and a sub is still a nice combination if you need more SPL. In any case I'd stay clear of the 1032's, the mids seem very scooped out and the bottom end is an unfocussed mess.

Old 28th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Genelec 1031 or 1032 ?

Quote:
Originally posted by renshen
What's the +/- , I can either purchase new 1031's or used 1032's in good condition. What do you think?

The 1032's might help me skip on purchasing a sub, (not for monitoring, but for rumbling the tamales of clients), then turn of the sub for mixing.

the 1031" I will need a sub, eh?

thanks,
Bruce

I have been asking many question lately, thanks for all the help and advise.
I'll try not to over do my welcome.
I've gone on record expressing my opinions on the smaller Genelec monitors.

If you start adding a sub, that brings in a whole different set of issues(in my discoveries you need a double sub to really get the benefits that a sub can offer). Also on some systems you can't tune the crossover point(also important when setting up your monitors).

My opinion is to look for a full sounding system. They are easier to integrate and you can move them around to get the best bass response in your room.

Again just an opinion,

Good Luck.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1031 : very good quality nearfield ... not to use too loud for longer periods of time ....

1032 : YUK .... double YUK ..... triple YUK .... not worth the brand name ... real earbleeders too.
Old 29th January 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I work with someone who swears by 1032's. He's a very knowlegeable, sensitive, overworked and highly paid AE (neoclassical-jazz).
I have a pair of 1030's.
The thing is: when you have a pair of each in a room, they sound the same. If you work in a very subjective manner (objective is for researchers, if you don't approach this biz with opinions and subjectivity you end up working double long hours or not at all) with all the little switches on the back, there's enough room there to match the space that you're listening in.
Subwoofers make me nausious. Just because bass is OmniD doesn't mean that you don't notice the under 90Hz split of the signal arriving at a different time than the other part of the signal, highly unnatural, great effect.
It's best to have at least one pair of full range monitors in a studio. This would mean that it's better to have a pair of 1032's than a pair of 1030's with a subwoofer.
Now that 5.1 seems immenent I must buy a subwoofer and speak bass management. It will be a 1092a because I already have a pair of 1030's. However?
πŸ“ Reply