Quantcast
A manley Budget - what to get? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A manley Budget - what to get?
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
A manley Budget - what to get?

Hey guys, as I put together my HD III system I have decieded to spend a portion of the budget on some Manley gear. I can justify about 10k on the stuff, I can dream of a lot more.

Slam, Dual mono pre's, massive passive eq, ..............so much gear so little, er money.

I would like to use it on the front end for tracking, inserts for fattening up things, and last for mixing / mastering.

Send your thought and experience my way.
Thanks for all the help,
Bruce
Old 28th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Massive Passive... can't really go wrong with that one.

Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's no question in my mind, you should get:

SLAM

Massive Passive

If any $$'s leftover, keep saving up for the SLAM converters.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, with what's leftover I'd probably get a 4 channel SPL Transient Designer and buy the SLAM converters another time.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: A manley Budget - what to get?

Quote:
Originally posted by renshen
Hey guys, as I put together my HD III system I have decieded to spend a portion of the budget on some Manley gear. I can justify about 10k on the stuff, I can dream of a lot more.

Slam, Dual mono pre's, massive passive eq, ..............so much gear so little, er money.

I would like to use it on the front end for tracking, inserts for fattening up things, and last for mixing / mastering.

Send your thought and experience my way.
Thanks for all the help,
Bruce

You just put together an HDIII system and you have 10,000 left over? There was a thread recently concerning what makes a studio "high end", and I think cash overflow like yours definetly seperates the boys from the toiz.

dfegad dfegad dfegad

The massive passive is transparent when EQing but when put inline without gain or boost, it does distort the tone a bit. Makes it sound "more better" and a little chunkier. Has anyone else noticed this? I first noticed this on clean electric geetar.

There's fatter pres than the manley pres- according to hearsay. I'm about to try out the Funkenwerk pres and I'll post what I think about em.

If I just wanted fatness, I probably wouldn't get an EQ. EQ is super cool but you can just break and **** up **** if you're stupid, even with an ultimate piece like the MP. I personally get all fatness from compression. I find that boosting all those quiet harmonics makes things sound much fuller.

SLAM seems nifty. I'd probably check it out if I could get it without the pres. I already have enough ampage! Grrr! I think I read that Manley is gonna put out a preless SLAM though. If so, here I come! I need more compressors.

What are you recording in your studio? Different material likes different engineerage approaches.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The SLAM is truely amazing. I've had mine for 2 weeks and it sounds great on everything I've tracked with it. I think it's THE Manley piece, much more worth the money than anything else they make.
Old 28th January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Having used both... [and even used them together!!] I can say from experience that the SLAM!/Massive Passive combination will indeed blow your mind!!!

The pre's in the SLAM! are wonderfully musical, the FET and Opto compression will allow you to tailor any tone... and the Massive Passive is one of the most musical and versatile equalizers I've ever experienced.

Best of luck with your search!!
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it were me I'd score one of the 8x8 mixers so you can be Manley on both ends
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
A MAN-ley sandwich huh? That's sick.
Oh please...........
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wish I could spend my money on the SLAM! but ...
I'd get a Slam! first (with pres - you never have enough colours) and the EQ second

Jo
πŸ“ Reply