Quantcast
Antares "Tube" Plugin - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antares "Tube" Plugin
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Antares "Tube" Plugin

I just saw it for sale for $99. It's supposed to be based on the tube effect included with the antares mic modeler. So the question is, how does it sound? Anyone used it? If someone downloads the demo and lets me know what the deal is, i'll owe them a beer.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm curious as well... $99 for an extra level of distortion sounds like a decent deal to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Antares "Tube" Plugin-autotube.jpg  
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been playing with it a little, and it's pretty cool (definitely for the price) Fattens things up a bit, fun on the drum submix, vocals, and acoustic guitar. The "orange" setting is a bit over the top, but might be good for really twisting up the distortion on stuff. Try the download and see what you think. I can see enough uses for it that I bought it! I'll post more as I play more.... TommyD
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it might be worth $99 based on looks alone. clients love slick looking plugins. if i brought it up on the screen in bypass mode and told them how warm their tracks were now they'd eat it up

They say that got 40 of them to run on a Powerbook 400 mhz so it's very efficient as well. I'm very tempted...
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tommy, What kind of presets does it come with?
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Presets?

We don't need no stinkin' presets!
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What the... My presets save me hours of time...
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, i've played with Tube for about the last hour. First, there are no presets. You probably don't need any either because all you can adjust are input and output volumes, which tube you use (angel or devil), and the gain on the tube itself. Very simple.

I tracked drums and bass yesterday for a rock band, and the first thing i did was throw tube on the entire mix (why not?). Basically anything i did sounded like crap...i'm not sure if i was driving it too hard (i had the master fader up loud) but it just sounded terrible. Then when i muted the bass guitar and just left the drums, i started to see some positive results. I pretty much liked ALL of the settings on drums (maybe not for that particular song, but i'm sure i could find a use for both the most mild effect and the most drastic in some songs). The drums i tracked were tuned and recorded to sound like a very 70's rock kit so of course adding a little bite just comes with the territory on those kits.

I tried the Tube on a soloed bass guitar and it sounded rediculously bad. But when i put it back in the mix, it did cut through and once again, add a little bite that i didn't have before. I guess i'd have to play with it more to find an ideal setting but it definitely could be usefull. But it definitely does not give you a "fuzz bass" sound or anything that sound like a bass through an overdrive pedal. At least on this particular bass that i recorded.

From my short time using it, it seems that the blue on +12db sounds exactly the same as the red tube on 0db, so i don't think they are different algorithms or anything. The red one just means "more tube" and more gain.

I tried it on soloed individual drums (snare, bass drum, toms) and didn't find that the tube added too much. It worked much better on overheads and the entire kit. Of course, it depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Am i buying it? Yeah, in 10 days when my trial is up.
πŸ“ Reply