Quantcast
musicians-gear.com question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
musicians-gear.com question
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
musicians-gear.com question

Anybody ever order from musicians-gear.com. Their prices are extremely low and I was just wondering if there are any concerns one should have about dealing with them and are there any hidden prices on an order to NYC. For example, I am pricing a Beyer m160. Full compass is selling them for $512 US dollars and musicians gear.com is selling them for roughly $390 US dollars. Are there customes fees, high shipping charges etc?What gives. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I believe the term is "greymarket".

1. Yes, you have to pay import/customs fees [~6% iirc]

2. If you need to invoke the warranty on a piece of gear, usually you have to go through your dealer, which would be difficult b/c they're in Germany and...

3. Their responsiveness and customer service is abysmal.

4. That said, it's cheap as hell. If you're buying somehting manufactured in Europe, it's probably the cheapest way.

I ordered a synth through them, which took 4 months to arrive questionably packed with the wrong accessories and no manual. They weren't really cooperative, but I managed to cope [had to order a power supply elsewhere...]

The lesson was, don't underestimate the value of going through a good dealer. As much of a cheapskate as I am, the cost savings was probably worth the hassle though. YMMV.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Six_Wax made a hell of a lot of good points. After the import fees and shipping (and insurance) it's going to come out to around $450. What you have to decide is if it's worth it to you to save $62 US dollars in the short term, but if the microphone breaks (or arrives DOA), risk having to send it back to Germany ($50 or more approximate round trip shipping to Germany and back to you). Also you can count on not having the microphone for 2 or more months if that happens. Also the long distance phone calls to recieve an RA number to send the mic back in that event. But there is always the chance that it may never break and you saved a few bucks in the end.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I think you both have a good point. On the Beyer's though, where can a check out the m260 n.80. I can't even find one on the web, but apparently this mic is being made.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Don't know who carries them state-side, I looked into them awhile ago and found out they were the same as the old M260 but with a different output transformer. This version has a heavy low-end roll-off so they're not really useable at any kind of distance, just as a close voice over mic. Stephen Sank can swap out the transformer with the older model for $45, making it essentially the same mic. HTH
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I considered buying something from them. Then I found out that they want to be paid in Euros not DM. USD to Euro exchange is pretty much flat, compared to DM where USD is/was greatly favored.

Not worth it.
πŸ“ Reply