pro control or control 24 ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pro control or control 24 ??
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
pro control or control 24 ??

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the advise and input, So just one more (ha) question.

Purchase a pro control setup or a control 24, and yes budget is a concern. However I want to spend it on the most effective area's.

Pro control, 1 or 2 fader pack and an edit pack maybe $26,000 +/-,
control 24 $7000 +/-, quite a difference.

This will be used for post, mixing and some project from start to finish.

I think the pro control is due for a change, so I worry of it's value the day after I buy it and it's discontinued and replaced by the space shuttle console for the same or less.

I think the control 24 will hold its value better, but then again this isn't the stock market and eventually this stuff will all be worth dirt.
So what gets me the most productivity and value? Somtimes I think if you are going to buy something don't skimp, and think everyday (if only I would have bought the....).

This wouldn't be the first time I've spent money foolishly, but at my age it's time to be a little wiser.

Sorry for all the hot air, so go ahead and bash me if you must, but toss in a little help at the same time.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
hey by the way there is someone trying to sell a pro control and fader pack for $8k, seems like a great deal, but I it sounds like he is trying to get rid of it quick, so you may have to act on it soon. There is NO WAY I would buy pro control new...
I've really gotten used to the mouse, although if I had a control surface I would probably use it for tracking if it were as good as a pro control, but for mixing, automation (for me) is more accurate and faster with the mouse ...but I think the price of the Pro Controls is bound to fall in the near future. As you're really paying for technology and lack of competition. I guess what I'm saying is to think about what point is the threshold of getting the pro control. If you only have $50k to spend, and you're getting HD3, Pro Control for me wouldn't be in that plan. $100k, uh, maybe...
On the other hand, quality outboard Pres, EQs, Comps, and maybe something like the Boutique Audio mixer...will retain there value for a LOT LOT longer!

You also want to make sure that you have plenty of outputs and inputs of DAC/ADC (192i/o's I assume)
Old 26th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It's 9K and I do want to move fast only because I have a new 72chnl 9098i and I have no room for PC and the Fader Pac nor do I need it anymore, great deal for someone though considering its only had about 10 mixes done on it.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
It's 9K and I do want to move fast only because I have a new 72chnl 9098i and I have no room for PC and the Fader Pac nor do I need it anymore, great deal for someone though considering its only had about 10 mixes done on it.

Thanks,
Ted.
sorry about the mis quote! Still good deal
Old 26th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Renshen

I guess a lot has to with why you want a control surface in the first place. You WILL need a keyboard and mouse for editing in either case, Digi's "now you can throw away your mouse" blurb is not realistic. ProControl is a more "professional" bit of kit, although I've seen a lot of problems with Edit Packs. C24 is built like a dog, and if anyything goes down you've got to send the whole lot back to Digi... if you've had your hands on both and I guess this is fairly obvious.

On the other hand, having faders for mixing is unbeatable. But you could get away with a HUI for this. Bear in mind for the same outlay as a PC Main Unit you could get a Yamaha 02R96 which will give you 24 channels of HUI control and a fully fledged mixer. If you get the meterbridge, you'll also have plenty of flashing lights - important (sadly!) if you need to impress clients. If you're looking at 24 faders of ProControl, you could probably get a DM2000!

I guess my main problem with Digi controllers is they just seem such bad value for money and I can't see it adding any genuine functionality to the software other than hands-on faders. In a lot of ways, it's more of a pain in the arse than a ยฃ50 keyboard and mouse!?
Old 26th January 2003
Founder

ProControl allows me to run a rock friendly DAW based studio studio.... I am sure a Control 24 would too...

Key points for me are..

Central focal point / console "look"
Moterized faders that anyone can grab
Reasonable footprint (more than a mouse mat, less than a "millstone" analog console)
LEDs that show whats muted whats on what track etc...
Old 26th January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey Jules

Out of curiosity, with "HUI-enabled" digital consoles available now, if you had your time again, would you still go for a ProControl? And do you tend to select and tweak plug-ins from the controller or your mac screen?

Rab
๐Ÿ“ Reply