please help me purchase my hdIII system - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
please help me purchase my hdIII system
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
please help me purchase my hdIII system

Hey guys,
I will be purchasing an HD III system this week along with a pro control setup , 192 i/o', digipre's, drives, outboard, etc. Please feel free to warn, advise, hassle, encourage, laugh out loud, or pitty me.

I need to be careful how I spend the cash on this, I'm no Donald trump, Hell I haven't even been bankrupt YET!!!!

Main purpose of this set up is post, mixing, and selective projects from start to finish.

Also I've noticed its easy to get lost in plug in hell, advise plug in versus outboard if you feel strongly on a particular product.

With the business being what it is and the world in such great shape, maybe I should buy a cabin in the hills instead.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Sincerely,
Bruce
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the only plug worth buying is Sony Oxford GML option.
otherwise BUY REAL GEAR.
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Obviously just an opinion here, but is the ProControl worth it?!?! If you are depending on other clients that come in, I imagine it has some appeal,but what about the C24?

As far as plugs I would at least get McDSP's plugs (Filter, compressor). If you don't get the waves Platinum, you probably at least want their Mastering Suite. For EQ you may also want the Sony Oxford. These are the bread and butter plugs.

Go with firewire drives, no need to go SCSI (IMO), even syncing picture....I would get a least 4 of them to start, make sure they have oxford 911 chipset, and maybe a western digital drives.
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I agree on the Pro Control. It looks good (for clients), but I was in a post pro place a few weeks ago and the sound engineer said he just used it as a set of faders.
My opinion about plug-ins.......buy the hardware.
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Point taken Erik! Apologies.
It's just my personal opinion anyway.
I have found myself dissapointed with pretty much every plug-in I've used or heard.
The exception is the odd mastering plug in.
I like some of the DUY stuff as well.
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no apologies here...sorry Erik.
I don't use -pretend to use or pretend to NOT use ANY plugs besides the Oxford.
maybe a delay here and there.
I use outboard gear for EVERYTHING else.dfegad
I know alot of peeps who do exactly like Erik says.
I'm not one of them.fuuck
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
I know alot of peeps who do exactly like Erik says.
I'm not one of them.fuuck
I think the point Erik was trying to make is that you want to make sure your system is accessable to everyone. If you walked into a studio that had every plug in known to man, it wouldn't affect the way you work. If someone else walked in and only found the Sony Plug in, they'd be screwed. I'd try not to alienate any markets, even if I WAS doing everything in house.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
with the amount of outboard available you/I/anyone would be far from screwed.
plug-ins suck.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lets face it

lets face it, even if you have the cash to buy real gear only, clients will still demand pluggins if you go for PT HD.
If you chose that path, go for Waves bundle, antares, every popular pluggz you can buy, buy a pro control,get rid of your "old desk" chose PT updates over good and expensives preamps, choses BF emulation pluggins over used 1176LN or Pultecs or LA2...

Why ???

because if you are hired by clients for your PT HD, they won't give a damn bout your old dusty rig. If you have both plugs and real thing, they WILL go for PT pluggs and for a mix that they can recall just in a finger snap.
It will be even better than that: they will book additional lockouts just to get back to the mixes and change some insignificant details, why not, it is so damn easy !

That is of course if you choose the PT option for commercial reasons.

If you buy PT HD because you think it is the best way to achieve a nice and smooth sounding project, well ...

don't

malice
πŸ“ Reply