Quantcast
being a producer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
being a producer
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
being a producer

sorry if this is not the right place for this post, i didn't know where to put it and i need to figure out my problem by sat. morning.

ok. . .
i've been making hip-hop beats for myself along w/ rappers and groups from around the area. i'm now getting into more serious clients with more serious budgets.
i now need to get some sort of contract or something, for me (the producer) and them (the artist) to sign.

i went to www.bandradio.com for other contracts before. but i'm not even sure what i'm looking for now.
i just have a lot of questions. . .like, if i sell a beat to an artist, and they don't really do very much with the song, can i re-sell it to another artist after a certain amount of time, or anything like that. i'm just trying to find out how it works, and of course i need to figure something out in 2 days cuz i kept putting it off.

am i making any sense??

thanks,
the stressed one
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Beats are hard (impossible!!) to copywrite, basically ya can't. If your workin with rap/R&B trackamundo, unless you wrote the words your screwed. Copy law still favours the melody or word writer.

You need to be paid up front for your engineer/producer qualities, if not just wait to get burno if ya don't.

Engineer just eq's to clients taste

Producer say's fuk that my client is thick...I eq/comp/efx to my tastey's, cause I know what A&R man knows/wants.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
so basically. . . . .

once i sell a beat, i'm done with it. even if it's an 'amazing' beat, but the rapper(s) suck, so it's never gonna be a hit.

if this is the case. . .what kind of contract is used to transfer ownership? or is it money and a hand shake.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Beats are hard (impossible!!) to copywrite"
once you produce them into a song ...if you are a producer you should have a contract stating your pay or percent of the product....just incase...you can copyright an arrangement...or productions..and there are new laws being written as we speak to allow for sample copyrights....a good book is this buisness of music...it explains the law and has sample contracts which you can use ....at the very least you should have the client sign an invoice with the date and project and proceedure performed so you have some proof in writing....i had to learn the hard way ....
Old 2nd September 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
reviving this one too. trying to get some legal information flowing on this site.

and of course "beats" are copyrightable, maybe a misunderstanding of slang.
"beats" are not just drum tracks, they are the whole instrumental. all of dr dre's tracks are beats. and they are all copyrighted.

the question i want the answer to is how do you copyright the instrumental seperately from the rappers verses.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
dude,

you're the chief engineer - sounds like you should know
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
man, beats are adime a dozen same as rappers, as well as actors, and musicians unless its a tuba player that does jazz and tex mex.

so sell your beat at a good price, make another one based on a template of the one you think is great, change a few things here and there. move on.

if you reeeeeeeeally want to keep THAT beat then figure some sort of license deal.
you copywrite the material (which WILL have melody right? if not its drums and chords no matter if you, the person u selling it too or any other can cpywrite and it wont make a difference. ) then you get a standard license contract or make up one where you are able to sell the beat to whom ever u want. cause to keep it real, if u think the rapper sucks then HE SUCKS.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➑️
dude,

you're the chief engineer - sounds like you should know
that was funny
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike ➑️
i just have a lot of questions. . .like, if i sell a beat to an artist, and they don't really do very much with the song, can i re-sell it to another artist after a certain amount of time, or anything like that.
Umm. I wonder how much I could get for 4/4! Gotta be worth sumthin'!
Old 31st August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
As far a copyright goes, you have to treat beats the same way that a normal music writer or publisher would treat an instrumental. Of course you can copyright them. People copyright beats and/or instrumentals everyday.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…