Quantcast
Has anyone made their own Digisnake D25-TRS cables? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has anyone made their own Digisnake D25-TRS cables?
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Has anyone made their own Digisnake D25-TRS cables?

I don't want to have 3 x 12 feet digisnake cables between my 192 interface when everything in my rack is only a few feet away from it. I've got most of the bits to make a loom up (Van Damme Blue series 8 way multi-core and Neutrik TRS jacks). Any suggestions where I can get a suitable 25-pin D-sub (in London)? I've only ever used these for shifting data around rather than audio. Any suggestions? Will a standard aluminium D-type do the trick or is there some quality gold-plated audiophile effort I should be looking at?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I just soldered up six DB25 snakes to run from a patchbay to a Mackie 24 track. The Mackie didn't use gold pins on the chassis-mount jacks, so I went with standard DB25 plugs. If the 192 uses gold pinned DB25s, definitely track some matching plugs down. If they are standard jacks though, buy a like contact plug. You're better off using like metals for unsoldered connections, like nickel to nickel or brass to brass, than using gold on just one side. HTH
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I've just finished to make two snakes for my DA 78 i/o's, DB25's to XLR's, and i can tell you that working on this multipin is a major pain in the ass.
Remember you'll need to carefully isolate each wire with some heat shrink tubes to avoid any possible short/contact. At least this is what i have done.
I don't think there is any "better/gold" version of the DB25 multipin connector. I was trying too to get possibly something less ****ty but i've been told that THAT'S IT ( competent tech). Feel free to try anyway ( CANFORD AUDIO?? may be a good bet).
What IS different is eventually the hood/shell. I was able to get this really solid stuff made in Germany. They are : FMK3G, FCT MUNCHEN. They rock in my opinion and worth the little extra money.
Good luck.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Any Dsub should work well. Have fun soldering!
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
And how the cold winter evenings flew by, the only warmth being cast from the tip of my trusty 25W soldering iron......

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Mike
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…