Quantcast
Amek "Big" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amek "Big"
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Amek "Big"

Anybody having any experience with these consoles?
Thanx

Lars
Old 23rd January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Several experiences with that desk... none of them pleasant.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fletcher,

Could you elaborate? I am curious what types of problems beacuse I have heard some great mixes done on that desk, although I have never used one... I am just curious what types of issues the engineer had to deal with. ( ie: I have heard good stuff done on a mackie as well, but that doesn't make the desk good, it makes the engineer brilliant.. )

Thanks !
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i asked the same question once . i thougt the " big " could be on my " can afford " list someday . ( i would like to have a good & analog setup . i thought well , the big would probably be a big improvment compared to my whackie ) .

all the feedbacks were like :

its not any good , it has no sound , etc ...

matterfact i heard it just one or two times . imho it has some nice features and the sound & the options was way in front compared to some other stuff . i saw those 44 chs amek bigs for like 10000 $$$ . maybe you guys could compare it to the products in that particular price range .

otherwise it sound like

" is the pcm 91 any good ??? " ---> " no , the 960 is better "

i guess most of us know that already heh

ssl , neve , etc. are some nice words . but thats like planning a trip to jupiter for some of us .
Old 24th January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
OK. I gotta stick up for the 'BIG' here.

Fletcher is on a mission to bury the 'Big' and any of the AMEK 'dead guy' series as he calls it.

He's entitled to his opinion. Here's mine.

Some of the AMEK 'dead guys' have helped me cut hundreds of records in the past decade. I find many of them useful and practical tools perfectly capable of making very satisfying records that stand up just fine in the long haul.

Back to the 'BIG'. These little desks were a marvelous help to me in building my business. I have owed several over the years. I can say the exact same thing about 10 other small studio owners I can think of off the top of my head. I still have one kicking around in my smallest room. They can be MASSIVELY improved in basic performance with a VERY simple mod that I can provide for the TRULY needy. ie. You bought one. It's basically a swap acrosss the entire desk of THAT 2151's to THAT 2181's. Like taking a blanket off. HUGE performance and sonics gain.

Regardless. Mod's or no mod's....

In the 100% ANALOG domain(signal path), in a 44 input IL desk WHERE ELSE are you going to get 108 inputs on mix, 8 discrete mono auxes, 4 automated stereo ruturns with Eq, 4 stereo FX returns, 40 channels of dynamics(10 different devices assignable and controllable thru the computer), fader, mute and some aux automation and a totally workable Recall system. Extremely good build quality for a $40k class desk, very low maintainence, fast, easy and flexible automation, simple MIDI control from cue lists, a 'decent' sounding 4 band EQ on every channel card, 44 admittedly 'slow' but solid sounding and fairly quiet pre's, and a footprint of about 5-1/2 x 3 feet.

Yer not. Period.

If you can't make a decent record on a 'BIG' appended with some decent outboard and a solid mic locker. I can't help you. Nobody can.

I have made records for Capitol, MCA, Roadrunner, Epitaph, Mercury, Island/DefJam, Universal, and a fairly gigantic host of other majors, 2 deeps and large indy's on these desks. A couple of them ENTIRELY on these desks. It may not be ideal. But it sure as heck can be done.

To drop the 'Big' in esteem to the Mackie or Ghost level is a serious mis-assessment of the system both sonically and in terms of pure functionality.

These little guys are solid performers and continue to deliver for my shop every day almost a decade after I bought the first one.

Making Indy label records is largely a practical undertaking. For price point and frame size, in the analog domain the 'Big' is the most flexible and practical self contained tracking and mixing system ever conceived, IMHO.

Thanx for your gracious attention.

SM.
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow Fletcher, nice to see you " reconsidered"...

Sm, Thnaks for the review, as i said, I have yet to really use one of these desks, and I was curious what sort of issues were there to contend with.. Could you elabourate on the Mod you mentioned, or is it as simple as swappig the componets you listed? take a long time?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
HOLY COW. EEK.

Fletcher was the last guy using this computer in my 'A' room. I inadvertantly logged on and posted as him.

Hilarious!

Keystone cops!!!!

Sorry dude. Honest mistake.

He's gonna KILL me!

He HATES the 'BIG'

WHAAAHOOOOOOO.

It's too good.

SORRY.

SM.

PS. A 44in BIG has 104 usable inputs on mix. Not 108. I once did an "industrial" album where we used darn near every one of them! HOHO.
Even more circumstantial evidence that Fletcher is Mixerman...
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
....yeah....you can hardly tell em apart......:eek:
Old 24th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
"Even more circumstantial evidence that Fletcher is Mixerman..."

No he's not...promise.

Thanks,
Ted.