PT input suggestions please - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT input suggestions please
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
PT input suggestions please

Hi Jules. Hi everyone

I need a bit of advice. I am soon going to be building a proper sound proof live room and will consequently be able to track drums. At the moment I really dont have that option at my studio. I am using pthd with a single 192, which I absolutely love. My main input channel at the moment is a focusrite isa430 into the 192. I also have the smallest mackie mixer which I use to submix hardware synths. Include my hardware processing and I'm out of inputs. Clearly I could use the mackie to submix a kit and bring it in on a stereo channel but that would seriously limit the processing I could do. I dont really like the Mackie pres all that much anyway. How can I get myself another 8 pres and ins cheaply. I could go for the extra input card in the 192, but then what about the pres. I'd like to know what you all recommend.
Thanks
Jack
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
There must be quite a few options.
The Api 3124+ (is that the right number?) off the top of my head. I hear it's killer.
On a complete other angle, www.vintageking.com have a 10ch Raindirk desk with 2 x F760 compressors (which are amazing!!!!). The sound is apparently creamy, basically the same as a good Helios desk. I got all this from asking around (especially Cyril - Mr 'Raindirk') BTW, not from Vintage King. The price is $9,500. They've had it a long time and I tried to get them to drop the price but they wouldn't.
Old 22nd January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

๐ŸŽง 15 years
If you don't want to blow too much budget, you could look at the Focusrite OctaPre with the ADAT option card which would feed the ADAT ins of the 192, leaving your 8 analogue ins free for other stuff... along the same lines, you could probably pick up a Presonus Digimax fairly cheaply at the moment. If you want something a bit posher, the new Focusrite Blue quad pre looks cool - I think it's around ยฃ1000. Hope that helps!

Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for that guys.

Rab I was having a look at the specs for that Focusrite thing. It looks really really cool. You get 4 ISA mic pres, and 8 line level inputs. All that can go to a 192 digital card which outputs pretty much whatever you want. Adat would be easiest for me as I can stick that staight into the 192. So not only is it 4 pres but it's also an 8 channel balanced converter. I can just clock it to the 192. All this for 1500 gbp list, so I can probably get it for less. Does anyone have any opinion about the focusrite ISA A/D cards. I had one very briefly in my 430 but never really got to use it...I got rid of it because it didnt work with the compression listen mode... reason being that the compression listen only outputted to the analogue stage so you heard no change through the digital card. There were a couple of other problems which I discussed with Focusrite and in the end just decided to run it analogue. I imagine this new board is well, 'new' so I reckon I'll just try to get a demo unit.

Thanks

Jack
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
The OSA (Old School Audio) line of preamps are a hell of a great value, considering the level of quality & choices they give you in comparison to the price.
๐Ÿ“ Reply