Keep 1622 or buy a mixer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keep 1622 or buy a mixer?
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Keep 1622 or buy a mixer?

Hi Folks,

I've just upgraded to an HD system with a 192 i/o and will be selling my Mix+ setup. I'm kinda tempted to keep the 1622 linked via the legacy port to run synths through. Alternatively, I could run everything through a mixer. (Just sold my LM3204. Damn!) The final option is to run things live into the 192 though that limits me on the number of synths I can use though I'm using soft-synths and samplers more and more these days. What are poeple's thoughts?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 22nd January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
For the money you'll get for the 1622 it's probably worth keeping it for extra inputs for those times you want to apply TDM effects directly to synth sounds. The obvious downside is that your sessions will be limited to the 48kHz sample rate of the 1622 when running this, which would be a shame as the 192i/o sounds great at full tilt.
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are you using a patch bay?
It seems to be really convenient to monitor through the 1622, and then if you print, is there an easy way (via patch bay) to hook the synths up to the 192 for the superior AD. The problem is if you want to work in a 96k session?!

I use a Mackie 1402 for monitoring and talkback. What do you use for monitor control?
Can you afford (or do you want to) the 96i/o or better and cheaper yet, an additional AD card for the 192? With your soft synths and stuff, is 16 inputs enough?
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Mornin'

Thanks for the advice. Looking at my setup, I'm not actually using that many synths/modules these days and this might push me into minimising my setup even further (anyone want an EMU sampler?). I can't recall the last time I used more than about 8 inputs running live through the 1622. The rest is soft-synths and soft-samplers. On a bit of a tangent, but I wonder how many people actually use all of the outputs of a multi-output module.

I'm running everything through a patchbay so it's easy to re-route stuff. I used to use the LM3204 for monitoring but decided I didn't need it & sold it. My thoughts are to get a small Mackie mixer and use it as a submixer into the 192.

Regarding monitoring, are you using your mackie solely for monitoring?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 23rd January 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Despite my previous comments, I have to admit I only have 8 inputs on my PT rig and very rarely need more than 4 of these at a time. Like you, I'm going more towards soft synths (and subsequently also have an E6400 to get rid of!). I use a Mackie 1604VLZ for running hardware synths etc live in midi when writing, but tend to print to disk before mixing anyway, so I have a purely audio session. The Mackie is pretty much a monitoring desk.

Regarding synths, I've always found feeding directly into PT interfaces sounds a bit gutless... running the outputs through the Mackie tends to consolidate the sound better. I guess if you sold the 1622, it would pay for the mixer anyway, and at least that way you know all your A/D's are tip top.

Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the Mackie for monitoring, talkback, and to send signal to headphone amp. And it's nice to have an option to monitor some stuff live or play an idea without having PT up if needed.
I always print individual parts straight into PT, actually lightpipe with Triton and Direct Connect on a lot of soft synth stuff. But for a couple other things I repatch directly into my 192 (not through the Mackie).
Since you have a patch bay, I would monitor what you want to go through the Mackie and then repatch to go straight in or through some other mic pres/compressors....
I have friends that have gotten rid of their bigger desks and have been very happy with the smaller Mackies.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the advice. I think you're right. I've decided to sell the 1622 and get a small Mackie desk at sometime soon.

Cheers,

Mike
πŸ“ Reply