Quantcast
Help me Spend $1900... puh-leeze - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me Spend $1900... puh-leeze
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Help me Spend $1900... puh-leeze

OK. so i thought i needed an all in one box, but I don't think thats gonna cut it.

I need something to:

1. Fatten up my synth sounds. (i'm doing a lot of electronic, urban musics)

2. Something good for vox. (any kind of pres better than the ones on my mackie.)

3. Something to compress the vox before it goes into my MOTU 1224. (it dosent have to be phenomenal, just someething so my vocalist doen't clip.)

4. Finally (the most optional one) something to run my mix thru.

and the budget for this is $1900.

i was looking into the Avalon 737, theres a pre, comp, and i can run my 2 mix one side at a time and bounce that...

i bought a Mindprint DTC, but there seems to be a lotta floor noise when i convert from my synths into my sound card. this is definetley not optional...

there were a lotta pros for the AMEK CIB, but this is like $2450, so thats outta the question.

If I were to to it independantly of each other, i was looking into a RNC for compression, an Anthony Demaria 300G DI box to fatten up synth (3 tubes), and I'm sure i can get a good pre for under $800...

any suggestions on any of this stuff?

thanks in advanks
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Help me Spend $1900... puh-leeze

Quote:
Originally posted by JoHoozaFats...
OK.
i was looking into the Avalon 737, theres a pre, comp, and i can run my 2 mix one side at a time and bounce that...

thanks in advanks
No you can't.........stereo compressors that are used on the 2-buss have a link between the L/R channels, so that each channel is compressed the same ammount......you need this otherwise your stereo image will wander all over the place....it will sound strange (actually bad) if the 2 channels aren't linked....

....one workaround would be to key both sides with say the left channel only, or sum the mix to mono, and use that as the key.....but then you'll need to match the tracks back afterwards.....even one samples error and it'll sound sh*t.......also, you won't be hearing the overall effect of the compression you're applying on the stereo mix in realtime......basically compressing by numbers...a recipe for disaster......i wouldn't bother.....i'm 99% sure you'll mess it up.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
2 x Groove Tubes DITTO DI's for synth, 1 x Great River MP-1NV for mics, with FMR RNC for compression...easily at your budget.
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gyratec II should do...?

The Gyratec II would be something in that range:

www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gyratec2/index.htm

It's a mic pre, an eq and a compressor. And it's tubes all the way. And transformer balanced both in and out. Recently nicely reviewed by George Shilling in "Resolution Magazine".

But no distribution in US yet, if that's where you're at..

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about a RNC and 2x Avalon U5?
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh yeah..........i think the RNC sounds fantastic on synths......i think this is its no.1 application!
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm on a similar search, but am placing a little higher priority on the 'run the mix through' requirement. Most of my mixing is internal to the DAW, so I'd love to have something to add some analog "body" to particular tracks or the 2-bus.

Is there anything with this versatility in the price range? [that doesn't sound like complete crap?]

also,

would anyone seriouly run a mix through linked RNCs?
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
...would anyone seriouly run a mix through linked RNCs?
Considering the fact you can't "link" multiple RNC's and it happens to be a stereo unit to begin with... nope.
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can put 2 RNC's in series, though.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[slaps self in forehead] mybad. ok... try this:

would anyone seriously run a mix through an RNC?

--------------

the canonical rule of message boards: no-one will pay any attention to your point if there's anything impeachable in the post.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sure... I do it quite a bit. It's not the ballsiest(sp?) comp out there for 2mix but you can get some really fine results through one... or two.
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While we're revelling in my analog newbiedom, are there other budget comps that do well for this purpose [mix bus]?

Some speak well of the Drawmer 1969. Comments?

Thanks for the advice, gents!
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've had my 1969 for about a year and a half now, and I'm still finding good uses for it. It is great on the 2-buss. I use it a lot as a vocal tracking box( nice pre with excellent compressor and lots of output) It also works really well as a DI for bass. Just plug the bass into the tube DI, eq a bit, run through the tube comp and tube output stage and walaa!, great bass track. It dosn't have dual 1/4 ins unless you go into the comp via the inserts on the back, so keyboard tracking requires some 'around the back' patching. But the keyboard tracks I've done with it have come out sounding great. I really can't say anything bad about the thing. It dosn't kill the high end like the 1960 did, as a matter of fact I think it may have a slight high boost, maybe 1.5 db above 6k.

Think of it as a better than average dual preamp with a very transparent dual tube comp, and a variable gain tube output, with a tube DI that you can route through the comp. With all the extra knobs and switches you'd expect at that price.

I love it!
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Can I puke now?
πŸ“ Reply