Quantcast
AKG 414 TL11 Verses 414 ULS - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG 414 TL11 Verses 414 ULS
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG 414 TL11 Verses 414 ULS

Does anyone have both these mics? I used the 414EB in the 80s but they are not made any longer. I used to reckon if I had no other mics I could happily do a session with the EBs alone.
However, now we have the TL (transfromerless) and the ULS. I have the TL and to be honest I find it a little muddy on vocals. Has anyone any comments on the ULS version?

Thanks,
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just have the TL version, but from what I understand (aside from all the explicit comparisons), it's more like the old 414s, and better than the new ones.
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt
I just have the TL version, but from what I understand (aside from all the explicit comparisons), it's more like the old 414s, and better than the new ones.
The TLII, to my ears, is nothing like any other 414. It attempts a more airy high end and a fuller bottom, a scooped middle if you will, and strikes me as a poor (very poor) man's C12. I got it as a vocal mic, and sometimes is works as that, and also on acoustic guitar, but to me it somehow lacks substance. However, it has found a nice home on my somewhat boxy sounding C7 piano.

To my ears, all the other 414's are punchier and overall more versatile and useful (although perhaps not as "pretty"). Just because they all look like electric razors doesn't mean they're even remotely the same mic.

There's one well know reviewer who seems to always be trying out preamps with his 414TLII. WTF?

-R
Old 22nd January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I don't know, I have a 414B/ULS here that's about 12-15 years old and it sounds great on some stuff. It's usually not a first choice for vocals but when it's right it's right. It's not at all bright and piercing like some people say 414's are. It's thick and meaty in the low-mids. And no, it's not broken.
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
The TLII, to my ears, is nothing like any other 414. It attempts a more airy high end and a fuller bottom, a scooped middle if you will, and strikes me as a poor (very poor) man's C12. I got it as a vocal mic, and sometimes is works as that, and also on acoustic guitar, but to me it somehow lacks substance. However, it has found a nice home on my somewhat boxy sounding C7 piano.
I haven't had such great results with the TLII on my fantastic sounding Steinway B (which overwhelms it), but I've been getting good results on vocals and solo acoustic instruments, although I agree that it's no C12.

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman

There's one well know reviewer who seems to always be trying out preamps with his 414TLII. WTF?
I sware it's not me!!!

I did use it in a mic preamp review I wrote for MIX, but along with Neumanns, and other studio staples.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well I just yesterday got a chance to a/b the ULS and the TL11 on acoustic rhythm guitar. I setup a TL11 and a Rode Classic, both into an MTA - A Range module and the Rode was the hands up winner. The guitar player had brought along his own ULS so I replaced the TL with that. Instant improvement, but I still much prefered the Rode.
As RKrizman said, the TL appears to have a scooped out midrange and the ULS is much fuller, meatier and probably much more useable overall. The TL was just too bassy on the guitar.
Also, I tried the TL on a snare and surprisingly enough, it was good. A -20db pad, 150hz rolloff and hypercardiod and into an API 3124. I also used a SM57 into a GML pre under the snare. This was not a rock snare but more a sixtys vibe if you know what I mean. Anyway, the TL worked.
So there you have it. Thanks for your comments.

DW
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting -- thanks for the follow up.

Regards,

MattiMattMatt.
Old 15th January 2018
Here for the gear
thinking of selling my AKG 414 B-ULS Jim Williams modded mic, any idea what it's worth?
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech ➑️
Does anyone have both these mics? I used the 414EB in the 80s but they are not made any longer. I used to reckon if I had no other mics I could happily do a session with the EBs alone.
However, now we have the TL (transfromerless) and the ULS. I have the TL and to be honest I find it a little muddy on vocals. Has anyone any comments on the ULS version?

Thanks,
I like the TL11 a lot more than a ULS while a ULS is really a utility mic and the TL11 is set up for vocals.Totally different animals.
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs ➑️
I don't know, I have a 414B/ULS here that's about 12-15 years old and it sounds great on some stuff. It's usually not a first choice for vocals but when it's right it's right. It's not at all bright and piercing like some people say 414's are. It's thick and meaty in the low-mids. And no, it's not broken.
I'll take a TL11 any day over a ULS but I have to admit it's not a C-12 in the least bit.
πŸ“ Reply