Quantcast
Dangerous2 or SMB-2? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dangerous2 or SMB-2?
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dangerous2 or SMB-2?

I know the SMB-2 is quite a bit more than the dangerous 2 (not to mention the D2b LT) but I'm wondering what people's opinions are of them. how do they compare? I'm considering buying one but having never used either I could use some arrows of direction.

thanks!
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Dangerous2 or SMB-2?

Quote:
Originally posted by vtone
I know the SMB-2 is quite a bit more than the dangerous 2 (not to mention the D2b LT) but I'm wondering what people's opinions are of them. how do they compare? I'm considering buying one but having never used either I could use some arrows of direction.

thanks!
Hey V-Tone,

I've tried both and I can only speak for myself, here are my thoughts:

They are both excellent units. I would compare it to 2 consoles one transparent and the other musical.

I loved the SBM-2. It is class A through out and you hear it. Steve Firlotte is one of the best boutique designers out there(including David Hill). He designed the VacRac stuff. He knows sound and what engineers like. You hear it in this summing mixer, it is very big sounding. Also its cool that it has panpots on the front. The first run he made all sold out(I heard that Dave Way was one of the last to buy and he bought 2 of them). They are a secret but for not much longer. You will hear about them a lot this year(most of the guys that bought them are some of the top engineers in CA).

I liked the D2B also. It is transparent sounding(sometimes this is needed, ie mastering). I did notice if you really want to hear it working you have to push it, but that is a good thing.

If you like working on a transparent work surface(you add the color)than you will love the D2B.

But if you want a little something more, sorta that magical thing, than I would seriously check out the SBM-2. They both will let you return it if you are not happy.

By the way, the Boutique Audio guys said that if you want to modify the SBM-2(add faders,aux sends, etc)it can be done.

Hope this helps a little.

Peace.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Dangerous2 or SMB-2?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
They are both excellent units. I would compare it to 2 consoles one transparent and the other musical.
thrillfactor,

thanks for your input. the second I posted this thread I thought to myself, "why did I post this? I probably wouldn't be unhappy with either unit. and it'll come down to me having to try each unit to see for myself."

but your response had that ureka effect, it makes perfect sense.

this may seem like a silly question, but you route all the i/o to a patchbay right? so you can use your outboard compressors, eqs, etc before going into the dangerous 2b or sbm-2???? I'm just wondering if people hardwire their d/a outputs to the inputs of the summing mixer, and if so, why? the d2b lite seems to hardwire the outputs of an 888 to it... does this mean you can't use your hardware outboard gear for individual track mixing?

for ex, if I have a kick drum sent from the 888 to the d2b lite and I wanted to throw a distressor on it, would I have to use it as a tdm send, with latency, additional d/a-a/d conversion, et al?

Old 16th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Dangerous2 or SMB-2?

Quote:
Originally posted by vtone
thrillfactor,

thanks for your input. the second I posted this thread I thought to myself, "why did I post this? I probably wouldn't be unhappy with either unit. and it'll come down to me having to try each unit to see for myself."

but your response had that ureka effect, it makes perfect sense.

this may seem like a silly question, but you route all the i/o to a patchbay right? so you can use your outboard compressors, eqs, etc before going into the dangerous 2b or sbm-2???? I'm just wondering if people hardwire their d/a outputs to the inputs of the summing mixer, and if so, why? the d2b lite seems to hardwire the outputs of an 888 to it... does this mean you can't use your hardware outboard gear for individual track mixing?

for ex, if I have a kick drum sent from the 888 to the d2b lite and I wanted to throw a distressor on it, would I have to use it as a tdm send, with latency, additional d/a-a/d conversion, et al?

I agree the patchbay is the best way to go.

I don't see why you can't patch the D2b lite to a patchbay.

I could see wiring it direct if you are just setting up stereo stems and don't need any processing after the conversion.

The other example would be if you work the same way everytime(Kick on 1,Snare on 2 etc). It would make recalls a little easier.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any other comments on these?

How 'colorful' is the SMB-2? Anything to compare it to?

I got them crispy DAW blues and am lookin' for some mix bus lubrication...
Old 19th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
Any other comments on these?

How 'colorful' is the SMB-2? Anything to compare it to?

I got them crispy DAW blues and am lookin' for some mix bus lubrication...
What are some of the summing units you have heard?
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mostly digital. Nuendo & Scope [Creamware] --limited experience with analog consoles, so it'd likely be a revelation all the way 'round.

as with vtone, I'll have to try them both and see...
πŸ“ Reply