Genetically Engineered - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genetically Engineered
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Faeflra counts. So does MixerVixen.
Hey, I knew there was a reason I was reading this thread! (my ears were ringing ...)

I almost always get into trouble when I wade into a thread such as this. Like, I want to post something very profound but all I can think about is the fact that my "perfect grapefruit breasts" are NOT symmetrical, and I wonder if that is a problem when mixing?

FWIW, I work closely with a male partner when mixing. I mean, very closely, our two little heads stuck together in the sweet spot, arms all entangled as we each reach for different faders or the computer mouse. I doubt many others folks would want to work this way. Sonically, he's more conservative. I tend to go for the extremes and he pulls it back into line. Technically, I'm much faster ... I'm the one usually operating the computer side of things, I keep us on schedule. There was another thread about mixing alone or with a client, etc., and while I love to work alone I must admit the results are always better when my partner is involved. He is also my bandmate, we are our own clients, so there's no pressure in the "professional" sense but we are under pressure to please ourselves and not embarass ourselves by producing junk, you know? Maybe that's just as stressful, I don't know. The only paycheck is a job well done, it matters greatly to us. But nobody is going to fire us if it turns out bad.

I don't know that I would enjoy it quite so much if I had to do it for a living.

But I get a sort of male/feminine yin/yang sort of thing from our music, and I think that comes a lot from this co-mixing thing we have going on.

.... hey Jax -- I live in Sebastopol and have a little project studio out here in my barn. Maybe we could compare notes sometime?
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

I like women's opinions on the whole music scene. Its very real, more realistic than a lot of guys I know. The problem is they will never get the oppurtunity to express it. Once they try, they are told to either shut up or "oh just let her say what she wants, she will get over it" attitude. Or the other one...she is just a b*tch with a power trip.

Yeah, i can just see you all, hands on hips, vinegar lipped, " that Renie, let her say what she wants, she'll get over it" and then, adds " mmmm..she's such a b*tch"
assuming that's and an "i" not a "u" missing, but both will do...heh

No, ttf is right that there are still very real 'ism's in the MI.

I view my position as positive on the whole and weigh up my gender as an advantage (cos a lot people like working with both sexes these days, and there aren't many women who choose to do this line), and that balances out the negatives. We've all got stuff going for and against us and usually the music does the talking. I suspect the DAW world is inviting to a lot of women who can learn in private and select carefully from a position of power afterwards.

thrill what are these sagacious women saying to you about the music biz?
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mixervixen

I almost always get into trouble when I wade into a thread such as this.
Hopefully this thread will stay cool!!!!

It sounds really great what you've got going with your partner...
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mixervixen
.... hey Jax -- I live in Sebastopol and have a little project studio out here in my barn. Maybe we could compare notes sometime?
Absolutely! I'll pm you my contact info.

Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Renie (hello, pleased to meet you), what you say about the DAW being inviting to women is certainly true for me. If there is any single thing that keeps women out of this field, I would guess it is the tendency for little boys to be into "gear" while girls are busy doing something else. I was never all that clever with electricity, and am still somewhat intimidated by complex routings and so forth and stuff I don't understand, but I've lived a life in front of a computer and damn I can play that thing!! When it became apparent a few years ago that I could apply these skills to making music, I knew that was something I would have to try. I tried it, and I like it!! Don't know that I would have been able to come so far so fast without having that as a tool.
Old 24th April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
"whats wrong with perfect grapefruit breasts?"

That phrase has got to be the pure essence of smugness. "perfect" is smug enough my itself, but what condition would a woman have to have to have spherical breasts? Siliconiosis, probably. Repeat that phrase as often as Robbins, did, it's like a mantra to the media..
ive seen many of perfect grapefruit sized REAL breasts... also a breastfeeding woman has perfect grapefruit sized breasts [or in the case of my wife, cantaloupe sized... watermelon? they were bigger than my sons head ]... but honestly, that was about the least i remember from that book.

maybe we interpret him differently. i like what he writes, maybe im smug.... i like the cockiness of some of the characters, all of which are really well developed, and story lines that make your head swirl.

hmmm, self-congratulatory? im not so sure about that either. although if he is, i think its well deserved.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For some reason, AJ, I took these to be grapefruit shape, not just size. Perhaps the youth of the protagonista influenced my judgement?

"I suspect the DAW world is inviting to a lot of women who can learn in private and select carefully from a position of power afterwards."

In my experience, women are not as apt to reveal clearly even their interest in some things until they have privately almost mastered them... there's a lot going on out there under the radar.

Working with a few has seriously lit a fire under my songwriting. It's scary what some of these folks are capable of! The women writers who interest me most seem to be much further into page/plant and ian anderson than joni mitchell.

Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I am not a big "truster" of human kindness myself.

I am a big truster in human potential. I think kindness is only thin on the ground where people are damaged, by thinking models that are outdated and unsophisticated. It's common. I'm very wary. But not cynical.

I believe we'll get better at it: "life".
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
renie, thats because im still searching for the positives... can you give one positive thing the human race has done? im hard pressed to think of anything. im talking on the whole... not just giving some person a helping hand. peoples individual lives are far too short, only a billionthmillisecond compared to the earth. but what one grand thing has anyone even done that has made the world a better place than when they left it?

did jesus even do that? as far as i can tell, he has only created more hatred among humans.... not knowingly, but leave it to humans to distort things for their own downfall.
alpha, the positives are there for me, you seem to be seeking some kind of momumental everlasting absolute "out there" as proof. i don't think anything will match that expectation, it's a no-win. you seem to recognize the 'beauty' in humanity but have difficulty in giving it value and honour.

Personally for me positives about humanity range from acts of heroic courage and integrity, fantastic art and inventions like littledog mentioned, to the personal things like a loving look, a gorgeous smile, a shared laugh that you remember for 20 years, a fat snare sound... and so on.

as you say we are only here in a fleeting way, it's what makes life liveable to feel the wonder of that sometimes. I hope you do find your way to hold onto the good, in whatever way it suits you.

Actually i do believe love is a great human thing, it's what so much music/song is about. We don't talk about it much and you can't see it but...
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I like to think my baggy jeans help me do my music work. I feel less "restricted" by them.

Well I never wear underwear. I feel so unrestricted that my mixes soar.

Old 25th April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
For some reason, AJ, I took these to be grapefruit shape, not just size. Perhaps the youth of the protagonista influenced my judgement?
thats what im talking about too ahh, the few memories i hold dear in my brain.
Old 25th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I always wear leather bondage gear to keep my mixes tight.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Faeflra counts. So does MixerVixen.

Whoa hey I have EXTERNAL GONADS.

Although, I do have long hair irl and if that makes me female then I'm comfortable with that.

Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Well I never wear underwear. I feel so unrestricted that my mixes soar.

Hey i've taken it to a higher level, mixing with no clothes on.

It sure cures the problem on that other post about having clients at the mixing session.heh
Old 26th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Whoa hey I have EXTERNAL GONADS.

Although, I do have long hair irl and if that makes me female then I'm comfortable with that.

Hey wait a minute... are you a girl or what? "External gonads" can be a eupehmism for breastises and if you got dem, well...

heh

Let us know!
πŸ“ Reply