Quantcast
Genetically Engineered - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genetically Engineered
Old 18th April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
its more of when someone does something i almost always have to go back and fix it to my liking.... i have an obsessive perfectionist streak in me [im not speaking of music here, just life things... or music, everything really]. i dont think im the BEST best, im well aware of others who can kick my little ass down the block [those are who i learn from and strive to continually grow] but you dont come across those people on a daily basis. and im pretty good about shutting the **** up and listening when someone knows about something more than i do to pick something up, and i ma capable of acknowledging when someone is superior and complimenting their work. nothing makes me happier than when i am working with someone better than i am because i feel a HUGE burden lifted off my back.

i pick up spiritual energy. i can size someone up and "see" their soul pretty quickly. its a weird thing to feel. some people are downright disgusting, others are beautiful. auras maybe? something deeper though. its tough for me to make eye contact with someone for too long because it freaks me out too much.
Old 18th April 2003
Founder

Are we all nuts?

I feel I definitely have some sort of right brain - left brain swap around, I feel an odd kinship with Japanese people. I believe they think differently from 'westerners'.

Banzai!

Old 18th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Are we all nuts?

I feel I definitely have some sort of right brain - left brain swap around, I feel an odd kinship with Japanese people. I believe they think differently from 'westerners'.

Banzai!

I just think Japanese girls are cute.
Old 18th April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
I just think Japanese girls are cute.
especially fook yu and fook mi
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
getting back to size of ears:

if there was any advantage to big ears, that would imply that most persons of European descent would have an advantage over most persons of African descent. Which seems to me, based on personal experience, kind of silly.

there certainly is a genetic component to musical skill and hearing ability (in the musical sense). it certainly would help anyone in any aspect of the music business to have an extra helping of the above genes.
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
especially fook yu and fook mi
Sorry aj, those names couldn't exist phonetically in Japanese. (No final "k" sound - you'd have to chose from "ka" "ki" "ku" "ke" and "ko".) Possibly you are confusing your Japanese women with Korean ones?
Old 18th April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Sorry aj, those names couldn't exist phonetically in Japanese. (No final "k" sound - you'd have to chose from "ka" "ki" "ku" "ke" and "ko".) Possibly you are confusing your Japanese women with Korean ones?
its just some characters from an austin power movie...
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Renie,

I scored a 45 on the empathy test (I think)...the one that put 42 for men and 47 for women, whichever test that was.

Whatever...it's NOT the size of your ears, it's what's BETWEEN your ears.

You have heart, you have soul, and you have a mind of your own. That is what makes your work relevant.

Any work of art is a child of its age, and of its environment. Genetic disposition is not a substitute for an ear to the ground, and that is a function of free will.

Empathy = Openness: Freedom of expression. Beyond judgement.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Boys enjoy playing with toys that have clear functions, buttons to press, things that light up, or devices that will cause another object to move."

This boy enjoys playing with girls while they play with their toys... Although I must admit I usually end up having to press the buttons and twiddle the dials on the inanimate objects, more because the girls can't be bothered to figure them out.

I haven't taken this test, but I read a book once called "You Just Don't Understand" about what male and female roles are supposed to be like as regards a conversation in a relationship. It would have been perfectly true of the relationship I was in if the genders had been reversed throughout- I was consistently playing the female part, my girlfriend playing the male part.

I believe that women often seek inarticulate and emotionally blocked men so they can continue to believe that they are really inclined to intimacy and commitment- my experience is that "I need my space" and "you're prying" are truly typical responses to genuine efforts to get to know a woman, who typically plays her real cards really close to her chest, while more than ready to show you her "PR" cards, that are far from genuine. And I'm sure many men would be more than happy to forge something long term with one of the many women who need to keep their options open and their hearts veiled...

off to take the test.
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
"Boys enjoy playing with toys that have clear functions, buttons to press, things that light up, or devices that will cause another object to move."

This boy enjoys playing with girls while they play with their toys... Although I must admit I usually end up having to press the buttons and twiddle the dials on the inanimate objects, more because the girls can't be bothered to figure them out.

I haven't taken this test, but I read a book once called "You Just Don't Understand" about what male and female roles are supposed to be like as regards a conversation in a relationship. It would have been perfectly true of the relationship I was in if the genders had been reversed throughout- I was consistently playing the female part, my girlfriend playing the male part.

I believe that women often seek inarticulate and emotionally blocked men so they can continue to believe that they are really inclined to intimacy and commitment- my experience is that "I need my space" and "you're prying" are truly typical responses to genuine efforts to get to know a woman, who typically plays her real cards really close to her chest, while more than ready to show you her "PR" cards, that are far from genuine. And I'm sure many men would be more than happy to forge something long term with one of the many women who need to keep their options open and their hearts veiled...

off to take the test.

Let me guess Ted...

Your a single guy right?
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not for some 11 years, and even then not for long enough! Out of the frying pan into the fire... From the relationship that was the inverse of the book's version, into the current one which is not so pat, inversely or otherwise.

And after 11 years, I don't really hear "you're prying" so much, but I do hear a lot of "I need my space".

And believe me, she gets her space... it's just that I'm "too intense"

Definitely not secure enough to be but I do get to feel pretty often...

It ain't easy when you work creatively, and not so creatively, with your lover, but at least she can relate pretty closely to my interests...
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EQ 48, SQ 55. If they're calling me balanced, they must not know me very well...
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Empathy = Openness: Freedom of expression. Beyond judgement."

Hmmm.... a lot of psychopaths are very free in expression and quite beyond judgement.

I'm trying to read this article, I'd have given up if not for the part about autism, a subject dear to me after working with a number of autistic folk.
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Genetic disposition is not a substitute for an ear to the ground, and that is a function of free will.

mmm, that's an interesting point, a successful artist needs an open attitude to the moment - business sense, and/or a good A+R person!!
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

off to take the test.
I think people are often attracted to their parents style. It usually helps to look at why we ourselves are attracted to certain types.

Neediness is different to sensitivity, a lot of women are sensitive to/ afraid of hidden demands that they become a mother and likewise men can fear having to take up too much responsibility in other areas. Also at this point in human development a lot of people are cynical and confused about relationships because they don't see much around in the shape of role models to inspire them. I see it as a time of real creative potential.
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

i pick up spiritual energy. i can size someone up and "see" their soul pretty quickly. its a weird thing to feel. some people are downright disgusting, others are beautiful. auras maybe? something deeper though. its tough for me to make eye contact with someone for too long because it freaks me out too much.
Alpha,

You must be very sensitive in this way. I get a strong sense of whether I feel warm or not to someone based on a lot of physical chemistry, but nothing as extreme as you're describing unless it's a particularly delightful or horrendous individual. Real one-off's.
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hmmmm....

36 on the E test
57 on the S test
Old 21st April 2003
Founder

Fresh drink anyone?

heh
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
posted by Ted Nightshade:
"Empathy = Openness: Freedom of expression. Beyond judgement."

Hmmm.... a lot of psychopaths are very free in expression and quite beyond judgement.
Speak for yourself, Ted.
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Alpha,

You must be very sensitive in this way. I get a strong sense of whether I feel warm or not to someone based on a lot of physical chemistry, but nothing as extreme as you're describing unless it's a particularly delightful or horrendous individual. Real one-off's.
its really weird... i get full on images.

i was thinking more about that E test... i wonder if people feel the need to stretch some of those answers which make them score better, or if they are truely honest about some of them. i answered with brutal honesty.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's obvious that a high score could easily be generated by "agreeing strongly" or the opposite. As with these kinds of things, my reality fell between the lines, and of course I had all kinds of takes on things other than agreeing or disagreeing strongly or slightly. I'm sure we all did!

I went through and filled it out thinking of my gal, and I had to continually decide between what she would answer and what I thought was really true about her... you know "I would never do that" and she does it all the time. I'm sure I'm no better in that regard.

One thing I noted- a lot of times, I know I'm making someone uncomfortable, very aware of just how, and it doesn't stop me from saying or doing something that I think they or I will be glad I did later. Dealing with shy artistes this comes up a lot! And as far as those people hovering awkwardly at the periphery of groups, they usually don't want to be noticed at all, but often also want to be included.

"Also at this point in human development a lot of people are cynical and confused about relationships because they don't see much around in the shape of role models to inspire them. I see it as a time of real creative potential."

Now that's a positive spin. I see it that way too, but it's seems we're all wading through the wreckage.

Fascinating to hear about AJ's unusual experiences...
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
its really weird... i get full on images.

i was thinking more about that E test... i wonder if people feel the need to stretch some of those answers which make them score better, or if they are truely honest about some of them. i answered with brutal honesty.
I can speak for eveyone, but I felt I tempted to stretch the answers on the S test more.

Some of the thinking going through my mind when taking it was "man if i don't do well, what does that say about me as a technician"?heh

"Am I really serious about what I do"? And what the hell do I think about the most all day"?

I guess after pondering it, that became clear...

Women and sex!!!

Maybe that's why I scored so high on the E test!!
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I ride the subway I wonder how they do it all, and I answered accordingly, but my wonderings are rather vague... like "How the **** do they keep track of all this?" And I picture real geeked out systems guys with razor cuts for mouths, on big salaries.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
When I ride the subway I wonder how they do it all, and I answered accordingly, but my wonderings are rather vague... like "How the **** do they keep track of all this?" And I picture real geeked out systems guys with razor cuts for mouths, on big salaries.
Ted...

You are one serious dude!!!thumbsup

A little scary at times with issues...but serious!!!!
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can speak for eveyone, but I felt I tempted to stretch the answers on the S test more.
really? i felt that one was so cut and dry.... either you do those things or you dont. i cracked up my roommate one day a long time ago when i got pissed at the person on the other end of the cordless phone which i ended up throwing across the room at the wall smashing it... then to his suprise i walked over, picked it up, put it back together and made it work again. i have a natural inclination to make things work, know how things work, how things are put together without ANY bit of formal training.... let alone any previous knowledge that i am aware of. just about everything i do, i naturally know how to do it on a general basis.

when i was younger and gota job at taco bell once, i knew how to roll the burritos automatically, which suprised all the old ladies working there which took them a while to learn to roll them... i never used scales to measure out the portions like you were supposed to and one time the manager got up in my **** about it so i challenged her to weigh it out.... i had her grab 5oz of cheese and put it on the scale and i grabbed 5oz of cheese to put on the scale.... mine was DEAD ON.... hers was under.

one time i was in school learning how to splice tape... and they showed all of us how to do it and then had us do it. the teacher i think would of loved to have stumped me on ANYTHING, was thinking he could do it with analog tape... not a chance, i had the tape spliced and the song back together fully edited quicker than he could do it... this was my first try at it. he stood there with his jaw on the floor.

the S side to me is purity. the answers are already there and i think we all naturally know it... what is happening. at least i seem to. its just paying attention to it. i found the E side a bit more abstract and subjective which could easily throw the results depending on how you answered. i answered a lot of them with "somewhat ____ " whereas the S test, i answered with a lot of "strongly _____ "
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
really? i felt that one was so cut and dry.... either you do those things or you dont. i cracked up my roommate one day a long time ago when i got pissed at the person on the other end of the cordless phone which i ended up throwing across the room at the wall smashing it... then to his suprise i walked over, picked it up, put it back together and made it work again. i have a natural inclination to make things work, know how things work, how things are put together without ANY bit of formal training.... let alone any previous knowledge that i am aware of. just about everything i do, i naturally know how to do it on a general basis.

when i was younger and gota job at taco bell once, i knew how to roll the burritos automatically, which suprised all the old ladies working there which took them a while to learn to roll them... i never used scales to measure out the portions like you were supposed to and one time the manager got up in my **** about it so i challenged her to weigh it out.... i had her grab 5oz of cheese and put it on the scale and i grabbed 5oz of cheese to put on the scale.... mine was DEAD ON.... hers was under.

one time i was in school learning how to splice tape... and they showed all of us how to do it and then had us do it. the teacher i think would of loved to have stumped me on ANYTHING, was thinking he could do it with analog tape... not a chance, i had the tape spliced and the song back together fully edited quicker than he could do it... this was my first try at it. he stood there with his jaw on the floor.

the S side to me is purity. the answers are already there and i think we all naturally know it... what is happening. at least i seem to. its just paying attention to it. i found the E side a bit more abstract and subjective which could easily throw the results depending on how you answered. i answered a lot of them with "somewhat ____ " whereas the S test, i answered with a lot of "strongly _____ "
I guess for me Alpha its totally the opposite.

My people skills are my strenghts(i think more than technical), I guess that's why I produce.

On the S test I had to ponder the questions, like" when you look at a mountain is it important for you to know how its created, same for the plane and I think the train?" I know i think about sh*t like that, but not all the time.

Its mostly like" wow the subway interesting, db levels of about 85-90db and...woah!!! Check her out, man she's hot!!! Let me go see if i can get her digits!!!"
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

My people skills are my strenghts(i think more than technical), I guess that's why I produce.

On the S test I had to ponder the questions, like" when you look at a mountain is it important for you to know how its created, same for the plane and I think the train?" I know i think about sh*t like that, but not all the time.

I was hoping the test would have a more practical side, where you weren't just 'describing' yourself, which is where this self- honesty issue arises. .
a reality gap!

TTF, it's odd because you seem one of the most technical and precise people i've ever encountered, sure you're not Nika and you have a friendly style but maybe here again this is where the test and the thinking behind it isn't sophisticated enough.

The question about the structure of music, I stumbled on that, because I usually think about it or feel it unconsciously, not consciously, unless I'm on my listening study hour...
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Alpha,

As you're so different to me I'd like to ask you a few q's. Do you enjoy things that you find challenging more than things you find so easy?
How do you feel about people who don't share your strengths and struggle with things you find effortless?
How would you say your S side assists or limits your work in music?
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
I was hoping the test would have a more practical side, where you weren't just 'describing' yourself, which is where this self- honesty issue arises. .
a reality gap!

TTF, it's odd because you seem one of the most technical and precise people i've ever encountered, sure you're not Nika and you have a friendly style but maybe here again this is where the test and the thinking behind it isn't sophisticated enough.

The question about the structure of music, I stumbled on that, because I usually think about it or feel it unconsciously, not consciously, unless I'm on my listening study hour...
Hey Renie,

Even though I do consider myself very technically proficient, I guess my thinking is always to put people first(or the relationship aspect)of anything I do.

Over time I've realized that's what really lasts, not which mic/pre/EQ/comp do i own or use.

Sure I love the aspect of what goes on in the process of a music production, both major label and small, but in the end of the day what you go home at night to(or don't in some cases) is what really matters.

The guys I've admired in this business(like Quincy Jones or eg all reflect that character. Where when you meet them, they make you feel like you are the most important and significant person in the world.

Those are kinda moments stay with you forever, not what they did in the studio, but how they treated or made you feel in the moment.thumbsup
Old 22nd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The guys I've admired in this business(like Quincy Jones or eg all reflect that character. Where when you meet them, they make you feel like you are the most important and significant person in the world.

Those are kinda moments stay with you forever, not what they did in the studio, but how they treated or made you feel in the moment.thumbsup
That's one aspect that I would still call my weak point. I'm friendly to people at the studio, but I get caught up in 'managing' the workflow until eventually I feel like I'm just doing a job while my S side is enjoying it. Gladly, when the most serious part of the job is done, I can let loose pretty easily. I think it would benefit sessions if I maintained a better balance of welcoming warmth to serious supervision, or at least started out with the former more apparently.

A long time ago, my best friend used to tell me that I was a little socially ********. It's cool, I wasn't offended by what he said, because he was right and your best friend should be honest with you. On the E side of things, I would be so blunt that people wouldn't know what to make of me, all the while I was just being honest. I still do that to some extent, especially when confronted with bull****, but over the years, I've found more diplomatic ways to speak my mind.

Still, I wish I could do it like Quincy. He can transform a whole room into a sort of utopic, creative, relaxed place from what I've seen, tho I've never met him.

Renie, you are now unofficially appointed the Gearslutz Therapist.

heh
πŸ“ Reply