Quantcast
Seck mixers...not speck, opinions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seck mixers...not speck, opinions?
Old 14th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Seck mixers...not speck, opinions?

anybody use a Seck 1282 or 1882 mixer? how do those compare to mixers of today, ie mackies and all that? Opinions sought...
Old 14th January 2003
Founder

If they have those little blue triangles on the white EQ's knobs ..... I thought they were well designed and easy to use for a mini / cheap desk.. Soundwise... ya get what ya pay for.. IMHO..
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I believe Soundcraft bought them up and re-marketed them as their Spirit line, using the same basic design. Bottom rung stuff, quite comparable to Mackie. HTH
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've spent many many hours on a 1882 seck at a friends midi-based studio and IMHO it sounds much much better than a mackie of similar build....and bullet-proof....there was a time when it went 24/7 for months on end without a hiccup.....they are 'motherboard' designs but have a very good signal/noise ratio and a low 'bleed' across channels....and they can be had relatively cheap these days...if i was summing back from daw and needed 16 or so inputs,some auxes and a good routing for monitoring and could get it at a low price it would be a mixer to consider....
Old 14th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I am in fact considering it as a summing mixer till I get somthing more high end. My 03d just sounds so *digital*!
Old 14th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I think they might be -10. Check that before you buy.
Old 14th January 2003
Harmless Wacko

🎧 15 years
A hilariously great and horrible little "pancake" of a desk.

HUGE bottom end.

The biggest I have EVER heard in a 'little guy'. Absolutely STORMING at 80hz.

Much more like a dreaded/loved 'Studiomaster 4-buss' series desk than a Mackie or whatnot.

Strange beyond strange design and ergonomic layout.

No metering to speak of.....

A bizarre hodge-podge of -10 and +4 operation levels if memory serves me.

Forgot all about these guys.

JBL bought and very shortly thereafter abandoned them.

Too cool. SECK. Weird desk. I kinda LIKED them......

SM.
Old 14th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
A very interesting set of replies indeed!

I actually have the seck in the closet from years ago, and my personal feeling towards it was much like slipperman says as well. I kinda liked it too! Thing is I was a lot less picky back when I used this desk; kept it all these years in anticipation of using it in some little jamming sort of setup. Perhaps I have the proverbial rose tint there.

Now however I'd really like a summing mixer esp for more orchestral sounds, and consider hauling it out but thot I'd check the prevailing winds before tackling all that cabling and setup.

geeez it is tough getting info about mixers, esp low end ones like this, and in fact low end proconsoles too (like for example soundcraft dc 2000). So thanks for info to date.

Guess I am gonna give it a shot!
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Seck mixers...not speck, opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by efex
anybody use a Seck 1282 or 1882 mixer? how do those compare to mixers of today, ie mackies and all that? Opinions sought...
There is an internal mod you can do(with a switch) to have the sub section in line with the main channels.

I thought it was interesting sounding(lots of low end) and times noisy(so many 1/4"inputs invites dust).

For a summing mixer, check out the SBM-2 at Boutique Audio(www.boutiqueaudio.com). Totally class A(not IC's like the Dangerous box) with panpots and master insert. It sounds huge!!! And has lots of headroom.

Its $3500.
Old 15th January 2003
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have three of those little friends, two 1882's and a 1282. I use them for location recordings sometimes and in the studio for cue mixes.

The sound is very much better than any Mackie. Like Slipperman says, the bottom end is huge because the center frequency in the EQ control is 45hz!! The high EQ is at 11 khz, which is just a tad nicer than 10khz.

The only flaw is the lack of a low/mid sweep, if this little console had a low/mid sweep from 100 to 600hz it would be a perfect console.

It has a kind of semi "inline" feature, kind of an extra mixer without EQ but with a level pot, a panpot, a (stereo) effect send and return and a FB send.

The eight subs can be used as line inputs and it has four returns with hi/low EQ , a panpot and routing to assign them to any sub or number of subs and to the main out.

And yes, it's basically a -10 board, but it has enough headroom to handle a +4 level without problems.

I recorded a Jazz CD with an 1882 in 1996 that got CD of the month in a magazine for hifi freaks and it got a maximum score for sound quality (10)

A very good sounding little board it is! I will buy any Seck board that crosses my path, I need at least another three of them.heh

Peace.
Old 15th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
thrill, I heard that the modification you suggest is fairly noisy, but that was ages ago and I have no idea if the person was correct or not! Any idea?

Hans, thanks for your positive post aas well. Are any of yours modified to run inline, or were you referring to a stock setup? I am for sure going to try mine out soon as I can get the room set up for it.

I just read the mix review from way back, very positive. The 1882 was $3475.00 back in 1989, they said excellent sound given price range.
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by efex
thrill, I heard that the modification you suggest is fairly noisy, but that was ages ago and I have no idea if the person was correct or not! Any idea?

I had a 1882 back in the day(late 80's early 90's) with the mod. Yeah it wasn't quiet(but neither was the board). I would think with the techniques available someone could do it and it would sound good(not noisy).

If i were you i would check out the SBM-2.

Just a suggestion.

Peace.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi,

I have a question about seck 1282:
Are inserts post, or pre eq? Cant find anything about it in manual...

thank you
Old 15th January 2014
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pre, look at de block schematics.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by efex ➑️
I know the history of these.

They were made by the original Turnkey in Barnet back in the 1980's - the original Turnkey was: Andrew Stirling, Andy Bereza and Ivor Taylor.

They were designed by the same person who designed the original Allen & Heath MiniMix and, at the time, were very good value for money.

I would not put them up against a Mackie as the Mackie was considerably better.

Good in their day, but I would not get one now - unless it was very cheap.

Oops - just realised that this is a resurrection of an 11 year old thread.
Old 15th January 2014
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I disagree because I've worked with Mackies and still own three Seck boards. The Mackie sounded dull compared with the Seck and the big DDA board I got after the Seck didn't sound much better, less hiss and more flexability, more sends, great EQ, but it didn't sound much better. The little Seck has a very nice and open sound, low EQ at 45 hz fixed and hi EQ at 11khz fixed, which is nice. Most little boards has a fixed EQ at 10 khz and 100 hz.
Old 24th May 2018
Here for the gear

Seck 1882 user

Hey Guys, new here. I've been reading all the threads and responses on the SECK 1882. Quite a range of opinions. I bought one new for about $2500 back in 1990 at Chuck Levins in DC and recorded a handful of songs with it. Just my 2 cents, it was very clean, nice pres, warm sounding, plenty of headroom, flexible routing, sweet eq. I enjoyed using it and had no complaints. I just got it out of the original box from my rec. room and fired it up to transfer some old tapes off my Tascam MSR-16 to DAW. Worked like a charm. I've been on the fence, but since I never use it, I think I'm going to find it a good home.
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Can anyone please help me. i am looking for Seck PSU5 1282 power supply. 240v a/c. you will find me on Facebook. Thank you. Brodie Mauluka
Old 5th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie Mauluka ➑️
Can anyone please help me. i am looking for Seck PSU5 1282 power supply. 240v a/c. you will find me on Facebook. Thank you. Brodie Mauluka
hi try here
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/seck.htm
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used one to mix the title track of our first album "Who can you trust ?" which was featured in the "ducks in the pool" scene in the very first Sopranos episode. We then got a 32 Mackie when we got a record deal. That mixed the rest of our first album.
Old 29th October 2019
Here for the gear

I have a Seck 1282 in good condition with the power supply, no manual tho. Any ideas how much is it worth and if anyone would be interested in buying (US)? Thanks
Old 29th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etiuda ➑️
I have a Seck 1282 in good condition with the power supply, no manual tho. Any ideas how much is it worth and if anyone would be interested in buying (US)? Thanks
Worth virtually nothing I would say.

Good value inexpensive mixer for it's day and designed by the same person that designed the Allen & Heath MiniMix.

But a modern Mackie is much better. Even the original Mackie 1604 was better.
πŸ“ Reply