Quantcast
Good inexpensive stereo effects module wanted! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good inexpensive stereo effects module wanted!
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Good inexpensive stereo effects module wanted!

I need one all around decent stereo effects module, mainly for flange and delay for recorded drums. The plug ins on my DP sound like ass to me. What are people using in the sub $1000 range? Thanks!!!!
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ensoniq DP4

Lexicon MPX200 (I think it has digital in/out too)

I think TC has some with digital I/O as well, but I can't think of a model number off the top of my head. If you are using a DAW digital I/O is more important.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If digital in and out isn't a big thing, it is pretty wide open. There's old Eventide Harmonizer's aplenty, Roland SRV series, Yamaha SPX boxes, Lexicon LXP-15, and lots of others. A lot of digital delays can be used for flanging as well.

I'm not sure whether Tom was referring to the M-One or D-Two from t.c. electronic. The first is multieffects, the second delay, both with digital i/o, both pretty well regarded. (I beliebe the original M-One is supposed to sound better than the XL version).

Or you could push PSP to come out with a MAS version of the PSP-42 (or the tricked out big brother, the PSP-84). If I had a DAW, I'd want that one.

Bear
Old 14th January 2003
Founder

TC Fireworks?

Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Lexicon NuVerb, if you can handle the AES only, obsolete Mac nature of it. You could probably get one of those and a DP4 for under a grand, which would net you the best reverbs and modulation I've heard, in this price range anyway. HTH
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...TC electronics M-onexl...or the M-one....they both sound great and they're very transparent...the m-one has more of the 70's and 80's trashy drum verbs than the xl...the xl has better vocal verbs and i think the 'plates sound a bit better....both have dig. outs
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've got an M1 XL. It's pretty cool for the price, definitely a step up from stock plugins.

It's mostly in the "tasteful/subtle" territory, though, so if you're looking for really chewy flange, it may sound a bit sterile.

Guitar pedals are better for the obnoxious sounding stuff.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the M1 and can echo (pun) what others have said. You can pick these up on ebay uner $300 and they are stellar.
Old 14th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
For flange I'd look into a pedal or something. None of the rackmount multi-effects flangers ever sound right to me. Probably the closest would be a Boss SE-50 or SE-70. The TC M2000 is great, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd probably get one of those, a delay like a Deltalab or SDD-2000 and an SE-50 and have a little cash left over.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'll second the m2000. As an alternative tho, Kurzweil are supposed to be announcing 2 new FX processors at NAMM - one featuring mainly reverbs, and one featuring everything else (chorus, flange, delay etc). I think the algorithms are from the KSP8, but at a cheaper price. Might be worth considering....
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
pedal, eh? i'm gonna do youz guyz a serious solid here. this IS the only flange pedal to get! it is THE BALLZ!!!

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/

click on the blue box on the left. it's called the paradox tzf. listen to the audio samples. yer gonna cream in yer pantz!!! seriously. they're kinda pricey for a pedal. i want one!

ml
Old 15th January 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Wish my Roland SRV-3030 arrived so that I could tell you it's a
good effects box, however, got ripped off for $200 with a fraudulent seller on an online transaction...

Oh well, that and the SRV-330 are supposed to be quite good.
"Stuck" with my Lexicon MPX-200 right now, although actually the
reverbs sound very nice to me (in my limited experience).
Been using the Vocal Plate and Ambience settings mostly.
I like the Lexi for headphone mixes on vocals.
The Yamaha REV 500 seems like a good one to check out too.

Chris

However, in true Gearslut spirit, have scored some good buys
lately to compensate for the missing $200!
Old 15th January 2003
tee
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Another contender is the Sony DPS V-77, has some nice verbs and multi-FX. Used to be a pricey box, but I got one off Ebay for about $350. I'd definitely wait until after NAMM and see what shakes out of that ......... with an eye on what Kurzweil does with the KSP8 spinoffs.

Tony
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a bunch of the TC Electronics (not an endorsee!!!) M1's (more than four, ok??!!) and a pair of D-2's.

I also have a M2000 and a M3000. I got rid of my SPX 90/900/1000's in a hurry when I 1st heard the M-1.

I'ma also no great fan of the (older) lower end Lexicon stuff, but their more costly pieces have great efx.

IF you can audition a M-1 or a M2000, do so. You can get two M1's for under $700US.

I've had no experience with the newest cost effective (cheap!) offerings from Yamaha or Lexicon, nor with any of the Alesis verbs...
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Sometimes old, cheap "lo-fi" reverb is just right for the task at hand. Sometimes nothing will beat an SPX-90 or Quardraverb on snare or some weird melody line that needs it's own sense of space. Hi-fi isn't always good for reverbs. But if you only have one or two around make them really good ones.
Old 19th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those Kurzweil boxes do sound good, but aren't going to be available until April, according to the rep at the NAMM show.

The delays in the M2000 are pretty simple. If you want to do plain delay lines it is a really nice clean box, but it won't do ping-pong delays, multi-taps or anything like that. However, you get two processors in the box. so you could get a little fancy using a delay on both processors and pan them, but then you'd lose the flange.

The MPX-1 sounds good and has flanges as well as a lot more types of delay. There are more effects blocks available at one time in the MPX-1 than in any of the TC boxes. It's more of a true multi-effect.

It's actually fairly easy to find good usable delays in multi-effect units. Even boxes like the old Alesis Quadraverb or Alesis Wedge have some very workable delay algorithms. You may not need more than that. If you want a simple delay line, even the Alesis MicroVerb would be a decent choice and only cost around $50. It has a nice delay in it and you just dial in the delay time on the front of the unit. Very quick and no fuss, clean sounding too.

Something like the MPX-1 would give a lot more options to play with though.
πŸ“ Reply