Quantcast
Im looking for any good web sites that sell mic-pre kits to build...... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Im looking for any good web sites that sell mic-pre kits to build......
Old 12th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Im looking for any good web sites that sell mic-pre kits to build......

If anyone has any suggestions post em here !!!!
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Look at this one:

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA

I don't have any personal experience with this kit.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Im looking for any good web sites that sell mic-pre kits to build......

Quote:
Originally posted by Engineer86
If anyone has any suggestions post em here !!!!
I'd like to do the same thing....try these...
http://recording.org/users/kev/

http://www.rollmusic.com/projects/3125.shtml
http://recording.org/users/kev/
http://www.purpose.freeserve.co.uk/neve.htm
Old 13th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
On a lessor note, does anyone know of a site or have a plan for a cheap DIY pre? I'm going to hang one of those MCA mics from the ceiling of the live room and I want to build a cheap phantom powered pre and put a zenor diode on the output so I don't have to keep setting up and patching stuff for talkback.
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
On a lessor note, does anyone know of a site or have a plan for a cheap DIY pre? I'm going to hang one of those MCA mics from the ceiling of the live room and I want to build a cheap phantom powered pre and put a zenor diode on the output so I don't have to keep setting up and patching stuff for talkback.
http://www.forsselltech.com/JFETMP1.PDF
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just curious, has anyone heard any of these DIY pres?
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just ordereded a Lundahl transformer for my RCA BC2b clone, and found www.kandkaudio.com are making a kit for the RCA BC2b's. They have copied the LS27 output trans which is supposed to sound great. I have one sitting right here on the desk just waiting for me to install it. The BC-2b kit is $250 for one channel, I didn't ask for more details but I assume that includes the transformers at that price, there was also a power supply that could be ordered, no details of the kit on his website I could find, but if you email he'll send you details. I should have this installed in the next couple hours and I'll let you know if it sounds better than the UTC 24's I had been using which were getting the coils burned up as the unit filters the B+ power thought the output trans. Supposedly the Lundahl was specifically made to handle this and is supposed to sound better that the origional. I"lll know in a couple hours. I'll post results then if anyone is interested. :-)
Old 18th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
yes Very interested

post your results!
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I"ll post the results tomorrow, I got kidnapped tonight and taken to see Cicero Blake, Otis Clay, Mavis Staples and Solomon Burke, the pre had to wait. It's first thing on my list when I get up tomorrow at the crack of noon
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
OK, heres the results of removing the UTC 24 output transformer in my RCA BC-2b clone, and trying the Lundahl LS27 copy.

It was a very strait forward swap out job, I just had to free up a little room and move some filtercaps out of the way to install the transformer inside the case rather than out side.

The results? I like it. The pre is somewhat darker now with not quite the high end I had before, but it is much more solid and beefy in the bottom end. The bottom on the 3 other channels is just not so solid as this. It is a very nice sounding pre and relatively simple to build. I would assume even simpler with the kit. I"m going to try a few things to see if I can get it to pass some more high end, I know it can be done by jumpering one of the caps with a silver mica cap to let the high end through, I just don't remember how and what values to use. I"ll have to make some calls.

Anyway even though it doesn't have a ton of gain it is really good a vocals, guitars, and drums.
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Here's another DIY pre to add to the list - it's the make yer own tube mic pre that was in Tape Op a while back. The crew behind it - Hamptone - used to offer a kit that provided all the basic components, but they've discontinued it for some reason. Still, all the instructions and schematics are still there, and 2 channels of tube for a couple hundred $ sounds good.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
has anyone heard the 7th circle stuff? is it any good?

ml
Old 22nd January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Is the Hamptone kit based on the Silverbox preamp?
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Is the Hamptone kit based on the Silverbox preamp?
Yeah, it is - he says "...this design is "borrowed" from my Silverbox4 tube micpre". It just doesn't have some of the refinements that make the silverbox cost $4000!
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks to who ever posted the Hamptone link. I had seen the site before, but didn't notice he made power supplys for tube mic's, after searching endlessly for a power supply for my Akg C61 which I got so cheap it was almost free, I think I'm gonna have to pop for a new supply. The Bill Bradley ones are a little pricey, and Tracy Korby never returned my email. LOoks like Hamptone will probably get my $$.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
has anyone heard the 7th circle stuff? is it any good?

ml
Maybe Bear knows, he moderates a forum at R.O. with Kev and I think Kev has built one. Maybe you should post over there in the DIY/Tech forum.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yikes, I defaulted into moderating over there. Kev's the expert, I just visit. Haven't built any of these pres, and no active circuits except a bad guitar stomp box or two. I did resolve to do more DIY this year, though.

Bear
Old 25th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
PAIA

I found www.paia.com and they sell some cheap kits I think im gonna try the desktop synth next after the mic pre..........very easy to build thanks for all your input.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
SCA N72

I built/own/use a pair of these, & I'm happy with them. Building them is pretty straightforward, the sound is good, plenty of gain. If I had more high end preamps to compare them to, I would. I can tell you that the quality of my recordings has improved since I got them up and running.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…