A good generic Shockmount? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A good generic Shockmount?
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
A good generic Shockmount?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good shockmount I can use on a Neumann M49? Or.....one that will work on a U67?

I just never seem to spring the $450 for a Neumann shockmount...so much other pressing gear needed.

I was wondering if there was some holy hidden grail shockmount discovered by a gear slut?

Thanks,

Nikyuktyy
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I believe BLUE is making compatible shockmounts. I don't know the price though.
Old 13th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
What happened to www.shockmount.com ? Those were supposed to be great and $25 or so. But here's another thing to consider, how much is the mic worth? If it's $3500+ for a U67 what's $400 for a shockmount? Why risk putting it in a $50 made in China mount and risk it taking a fall?
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My feelings exactly...
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What happened to www.shockmount.com ? Those were supposed to be great and $25 or so. But here's another thing to consider, how much is the mic worth? If it's $3500+ for a U67 what's $400 for a shockmount? Why risk putting it in a $50 made in China mount and risk it taking a fall?
I've got one of those and it works well. I need to make a few for myself. The site says "Under Construction" so I didn't post a link.
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
damn! I was going to buy one of those and I kept putting it off. Now their site is down- I hope not for good.

Here's an idea- buy a chinese mic for $200, throw away the mic and keep the shock mount - you just saved $200!

''
Old 13th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Yeah, it's an idea but not a great one. Those Chinese shockmounts are pretty flimsy compared to the real deal. Have you ever had a Neumann, Blue or AKG shockmount in your hands for more then a minute? You'll notice a huge difference in the build quality. The lessor mounts cost less for a reason, cheaper metal, they'll slip from the position you lock it in (unless it strips and that sucks more), they don't hold the mic as securely and they aren't as effective at their job which is isolating the mics from thumps and stuff.

Granted you may be able to deal with all these but the one I can't deal with is not holding the mic well. Why would you risk putting a $3500 mic in a cheap shockmount and maybe having it take a fall if someone bumps into it? A Nuemann mount screws into the mic so that ****er ain't going anywhere rather then clamping in like the Rode or others. If your U67 or U87 takes a fall and needs repair chances are it'll cost you as much as the real deal shockmount if not more. So, why take a chance?
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey thanks!

You are so right but you know how it goes.........there is always something else that is more pressing.

Just thought the Neumann shock price was a bit inflated. I would pay $250 but $450??

Still.......once you have paid up it will last a life time. I need two mounts for the U67's and one for the M49.

Been looking at the Atlas stands by the way (the heavier one). B&H are selling them for $199. Great deal.

Nik
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Just saw a price on Neumann shockmounts at Mercenary.

$175! Don't know where I got the $450 from! Must have been quoted once and have not bothered looking again.

Nik
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Blue shockmounts are worth a look. Blue Vintage Shockmounts

They're having a sale, but you can get a better deal at Fletcher's Mercenary Audio it seems.

Jasper
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Another vote for Blue shockmounts

I've got a Blue shock mount for my CMV 563, and I think it is very well made. It uses two seperate clamps to hold the mic, and since the clamps are kind of small and are well inside the shock mount, I think accidental dumping will not happen.

Aside from the double clamp securing instead of the Neumann screw-in type, I think that the build quality of the Blue is actually better than Neumann. The finish is better, the "arms" that hold the spider suspension are heavier, and the swivel adjustment is much nicer.

And as for the Atlas stands, well, they're heavy. The price sounds good though. Scoop some up and you'll see why I've spent the last three years designing a better stand.

Rock on.

Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
πŸ“ Reply