DIY Fixing CSJ's in Console - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Fixing CSJ's in Console
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
DIY Fixing CSJ's in Console

CSJ's = colder solder joints

I have a Ghost with some monitor section outputs that aren't putting out. The right side Control Room out is dead, and two other outs from two different stereo outputs have recently gone kaput. So I'm back to monitoring straight from my converters outputs to speakers, which isn't such a great way to mix.

I'm a decent solderer and I would fix the connections myself if I knew where to look once inside the board. I've never opened her up before and I guess that could be a nasty consideration in itself. Anyone here have experience repairing a small board like this?

Can anyone direct me to a schematic, diagram, or pictures of a Ghost's monitor section? I'll call Soundcraft in Nashville Monday, but I want to do what I can while I have some downtime.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
jackson....i have all those diagrams and the schematic but alas no way at this moment to fax it or scan it to you....mine (ghost) is doing the same thing and it seems to be centered in the stereo phone jack on the front of the board.....it only acts up when i use this jack...which in my case since i have only the one room is often....let me kow what you find and when my computer expert(wife) returns from shopping today, i'll see what i can do to get the routing schematic to you....also i think you can download this at the soundcraft site.....
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I think I have just started experiencing a similar problem with mine. Ghost 32 purchased new in november 2001. I get a kind of a scratching sound on the right channel ( kind of like frying eggs) that comes and goes. When it does go I start losing output in the right channel. I doesnt seem to happen on initial power up, but after a few minutes it does and then seems to go away after a few hours of being on. Please let me know what your findings are with this as I will be needing to fix this pretty quick. And if anyone has a clue as to the culprit here that would be cool too.
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks Kent and sonic dogg. I didn't get any time to work on the Ghost, and it looks like it'll have to wait 'til the weekend. Snapper, if you figure out anything with your Ghost before then, drop a line here and let me know. I'll do the same once I figure out what's up.

Previously I had tried inserting/re-inserting a brand new TRS plug into the jacks in question, to no avail. I haven't tried DeOxit and burnishing tools are a no-no. What led me to believe that the problem is cold solder joints or just plain broken connections is that someone I know with a very busy remote shop in SoCal told me Soundcraft boards are notorious for csj's. It doesn't seem like the problem originates at the Main L/R Outs, although I don't remember which sides are dead on the other stereo outs so it is possible.

I will crack her open at least, even without a schematic. I should at least get an idea what it looks like in there and determine whether or not I should screw with it.

Thanks again, gents.

๐Ÿ“ Reply