The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixdown to 96k or 88.2k ?? Who's heard the diff on the SRC to 44.1k ?
Old 11th January 2003
Mixdown to 96k or 88.2k ?? Who's heard the diff on the SRC to 44.1k ?

At the moment - I mix to 24bit 96k digital

I use a Finalizer to SRC from 24 bit 96k to 24 bit 44.1 for my own junior mastering sessions within PT.

A chum suggested I should be mixing to 88.2 for the 'better math / SRC sound' when it gets converted to 44.1 audio...

I DO dig the 96k masters..more open / 'spectacular' sounding
And I DO find this benefit survives the SRC to 44.1K
I was thinking that 96k was a more sensible long term archive rate than 88.2k ... but who can tell these days...

So who has tested this 96/88.2 sh!t and heard a difference? I cant help thinking it's more a numerology superstition than a fact... But I aint tested it yet myself, hence the question...

Old 11th January 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Re: Mixdown to 96k or 88.2k ?? Who's heard the diff on the SRC to 44.1k ?

Hey Jules - it doesn't really matter any more. Any modern SRC (even the cheapy ones) will up-sample to the 3MHz range, then downsample to your desired fs. 88.2 - 44.2 no longer yields any real benefit, unless your converters sound better at 88.2...
Old 11th January 2003
Ah HAH!

Thanks Brad...

Any one else got a theory on it? (SRC that is, not on the CIA pays the entire population of a secret planet to man listening stations so that all our phone calls are monitored for the key words 'bomb', 'dope' and 'doo-doo')

Old 11th January 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Jazz and classical folks have mentioned they record 88.2K because of SRC issues...

Now we can put that thought to rest.
Old 12th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I think I like the sound of the PSX100SE converters better at 88kHz than 96kHz. Lately, I noticed that some free-lancers using it also preferred the sound at 88. FWIW, YMMV.
Old 12th January 2003
I wonder if the freelancers & the classical guys record at 88.2k unnecessarily, due to a legacy of superstition that lives on...via rumor that pre dates the modern "fix" / solution that Brad referred to???

We are a superstitious lot us engineers...

Old 12th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Actually, in this case it was for pragmatic reasons: they tried 96 and 88 and thought 88 sounded better. I was at 96 for awhile myself before going to 88.

SRC was a non-issue because they (and I too) prefer that at mastering, the masterlink audio goes back to analog at the original sample rate, gets treated with analog processing, then goes back to dig at 44.1 then into the Sonic station.
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
src is never a concern over here...mixes are played back with their original sampling rates and then treated with analog eq, comp....etc, then capture at 24/44.1 with daw. i can't really remember that i had ever used src for any mastering sessions.

when i mix, the mixes are printed at 24/88.2 now.
Old 12th January 2003
I dont feel I have the right type of mastering capable EQ in a hardware unit, so I use Sony Oxford GML plug in eq, as I havent got PTHD, I have to SRC my 96k masters if I want to do my own 'junior mastering' on them...

for pro mastering I agree no SRC and the signal path you mention gets used..

Hmmm..... I really should get a GML 8200 or a Cranesong Ibis one day..

πŸ“ Reply