Quantcast
Soundelux Redux: The iFet7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux Redux: The iFet7
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Soundelux Redux: The iFet7

Anyone actually heard one yet? It seems like a cool idea--I'm wondering how it works in practice.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have put this mic through the paces and here are some observations.

Class AB "I" Mode: "I" mode is very clear and open with a permanent highpass filter engaged. There is some serious headroom in this mode. It has almost no coloration to speak of, it's almost Brauner-ish (a little like the Phantom C without the bottom) and to an extent it also reminds me of a larger sounding, more musical TLM193. The fact that the low end is pre-compensated for is very cool. In the same way that an Omni mic can be very useful in close quarters on instruments without overwhelming proximity (guitar cabs, kick drums, snares, etc), the instrument mode fairs very well here for that same reason. Serious SPL's are taken in the 'I' mode also (I'll be recording some jet engines this weekend <g>).

Class A "V" Mode:: We all find the term to be a cliche, but the 'V' mode selection on the iFET7 is definitely 'warmer'. Less highs (than the "I"), more lows, and definitely more coloration than the "I" mode". If I was to compare it to a U87 I would say it has more coloration, a much nicer top, and a tighter low midrange (maybe less low mid), not as boxy as an 87. This mode takes less SPL as the "I", but it's no slouch there either and still can be used past the point of where you would normally put your own ears.

The mic seems to be more of an interpretation of these two Neumann mics rather an exact copy. I think a lot of serious thought and practical experience from David Bock has gone into the design of this mic. Probably one of the best sounding general usage microphone I've ever heard, and it's definitely not just for kick drum despite the name.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:

Originally posted by mdbeh
Thanks for the comments. I had assumed that the "I" mode would be really similar to the 195, but it sounds like that's not the case. Am I right in interpreting it that way?
It's different than the U195 in it's 'I' mode. It's even more clear, neutral and detailed than the U195 in it's standard non fat mode. It's not as forgiving as the U195. In a few ways it's closer to the E47 than the U195. It seemingly has slightly more headroom than the U195, which is a hell of a lot.

Quote:

Around what frequency is the HPF?
According to the lit, it drops off very gently under 1khz, with the largest rolloff under 200hz....4db down at 30 hz (this is specific to the instrument mode, the vocal mode is relatively flat in the lows). It sounded really cool when sticking it very close to a bass speaker. Overheads could go either way to my ears, "I" or "V". If an omni mic could be directional, this is what I think it would be (again this is a reference to the instrument mode).

Quote:

Is there a Fat switch like on the 195?
Nope. The "I" mode seems to be meant for close micing. The FAT mode on the U195 can sometimes be too over the top when combined with natural proximity IMO from being in very close quarters to the sound source (under half a foot)...maybe best to pull that back into the room in that application (i.e. distant kick drum mic).
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Nathan writes:
Quote:
not as boxy as an 87.
Yep.

That is the problem with the 87. I was wondering how to describe it, and you nailed it. It just sounds like you're singing in a carboard box. A really nice cardboard box.

Okay, a really expensive cardboard box.

There must be some eq trick to get the 87 alive, but I haven't found it yet. Too many singers on too many records have used it with excellent results, so it must be me.

Jasper
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan:
not as boxy as an 87.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper:
so it must be me.
In all probability most likely not you Mike....otherwise I don't think the iFET7 would use the 87 as a basis for sonics, but then turn around take it to the next level (waaaaay to the next level). I think there are a lot of people that think the same way, this is just the first time a product has worn the statement on it's sleeve.
๐Ÿ“ Reply