Just finished my new gear setup plan today
and found some usefull info. outhere Thanks
I came up with a Powerbook 17" 1G and 1giga ram
Pro tools HD 1
96 i/o
midi i/o
pro control
and some preamp's and (shut up )

I am kind a new here so ill better introduce myself a little.
Since i was 6 years old i wanted to produce and make music.
I've started with digi 001 on pc and a nuendo A/D convertor
and it was very good for learning, and for the moment i'm still using it, but i want more!!!
I've build a small studio in the garden wish is almost finished now,
so its time to freak out on the setup !
I serious start to realize now how addictive producing is !!!
Even the Pro tools environment is addictive to me !!!
And with HD systems out and the new powerbook G4
i found the best solution for me and i'm going for it to !
so i don't have to carry all the weight every time i go to record live gig and be flexible for pre production, demo ' en so on.

But i wonder if anybody could give me some advice on how to
handle the contract side & financial planning of producing ?
Do i always have to use a contract when beginning a new project?
What if there is a amazing band or artist and no budget do you take the risk on your own cost?
Starting a small label? and so on.

gonna quit now!
maybe i've better post this at the moan zone !!!
anyway thanks for stopping by
if you have some tips to post i will appreciate it

greeting's Pro Fool
Old 10th January 2003
Founder

Chris Lambrects at http://www.sos-recording.com/

has a cousin who does all his legal music biz stuff, perhaps he can recomend him or someone else also he is partners in a pro tools dealership so he might be able to give you a Gearslut discount for the PT gear! (tell him I sent you!)

He is one of the High End moderators here on Gearslutz - send him a PM or go to the site above to contact him. He is in Liege, Belgium.

I belive it's wise to consult a lawyer, think of all the senarios you might encounter and ask the lawyer to make you up a set of agreements you can use for all the situations. BEAR IN MIND - that all negotiations (EACH CONTRACT) will need legal work... so the law bills are endless....

Good luck! Cool avatar BTW!

Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the reply and the good luck Jules,
think i'm going to need a little luck.
i guess i have to find things out piece by piece.
i'm sure going to visit the sos recording shop

greetz
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
good luck

if theres a production i want the 1st half of the money in front .
most clients that come over to a " smaller " place are paying out of their private cash . i set up a small contract in front of whos paying the bill in the end . ( especially with artists a lot of wired stuff can happen during a session . most times they come in and have the big idea about their new demo has to sound like the bruce springsteen record etc . most times they arent even prepared right to play some drums in time . no matter what happens , they are gonna blame you in the end [ thats the fun part of the job ] heh )

doing some tracks with somebody you think he or shes " talented " is the best thing to do . but the same old story here .
lets say you finish a demo with 4 tracks with a great singer .
you send it to somebody . 1st thing you will hear " wow , whos singing on that tape ??? " . now you have the possibility to tell em . ( dont do it heh ) . what would happen most times . they contact the singer , hook em up with their producers and you are history ( even if you wrote all the songs , all the lyrics , anything ) .

they have those thoughts that they can replace anybody ( well , thats not the truth and i can see that attitude change right now a little )

the most important thing imho , say what you think and say it as loud as possible . contracts have nothing to do with friendship .
dont think about that its not a good thing to do .
its recommended to set up contracts if you are doing your business . for music productions their are already " standart contracts " . you dont have to pay 1000 of $$$ to hire a lawyer coming up with them .

good luck again
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
hello again,

It just happend to me for the first time!
I worked about six monts on pre production, gave the artist the demo and since that day i can hardly reach him.
He told me he hooked up with sombody and want me to join in in february.
But i'm not shure of that!
We will see how it goes from there on again.
It feels a little like loosing your'e girlfriend after a six mont relationship.
I see it as a lesson and lessons needs to be learnd !
but anyway i didnt get payed for my work so far and have all the files on my Hard disk's.

Something else now ; i've found the standard contract's on the net in english , so should i translate them and use these or search a bit further an find them in dutch ?

greetz
Old 12th January 2003
Motown legend

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ProFool
... ; i've found the standard contract's on the net in english , so should i translate them and use these or search a bit further an find them in dutch ?
There are NO standard contracts, just standard issues that require enough understanding to reach an agreement. I would be especially cautious about U.S. contracts because the music business is structured differently here than in Europe.

Every circumstance is unique with people having different goals, capabilities and needs. When people don't do their homework or take the time to really focus on the details of what they expect, they almost invariably end up feeling ripped off even if by any rational standard they had a great deal. Your priority could be launching a career, obtaining the highest possible profile, earning the most money or some combination of those requirements. An appropriate deal for one could easily be totally inappropriate for another.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
its not legal if you sign a contract that isnt in your mothers tongue ( wonder why even if it is i dont get some stuff thats in there ... heh ) . translate it on your own ... not a great idea imho .
if you hook up with a major studio they have most of the stuff youยดll need . follow jules idea , i bet that can help a lot .

on the other hand , you should think about if it would make sense to sue an artist you have worked with ( if he owns you money , defenately - if your work is gonna be released behind your back - hmmm ) .

i guess the major point is : is your work usable for commercial work ? i hear a lot of people arguing about the law and their rights as they call themselves " composer or producer " . most of em are waiting on mr. jesus christ himself knocking on their door and tell em " the whole world is waiting just for you " .
it needs a little bit more than a mac & some ideas to make that thing happen . a lot of people have their own music setup , a lot of people have no " useable " output .
either the quality is to low in fact of skill and writing
or they dont wanna risk some money ( i can understand that $$$ is a big point ) to make their music become a useable song .
( i am not talking bout buying moreandmoreandmore equipment )

finding somebody whos supporting " talent " is close to impossible ( if you are a great singer that looks just wonderful , different story ... if you are the new miles davis , different story ... but who is ??? heh )

so what i wanna say , why should a major producer release your or our " basic idea " work . in most cases the idea needs to be produced to fit the " standart " . he wouldnt get the same amount of money compared to if he releases his own tracks .
he needs to invest money for players , singers , mixers , etc .
i found out ( dont wanna sound to pesimistic ) that you cant expect a lot of help . most a&rs could sell vacuum cleaners as well , they dont care about music and the art behind . maybe there are some ???

the only thing they wanna do is selling a product and make as much money with it as possible . and of course they just want to give you a small amount of the money they are making .
but if they make some money with your stuff , you are in the RING .

good luck on your mission
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
thank you for sending me on the right track.
ill get the point now, i'm learning.
i will just do the best as i can!
what else can i say!

Thanks guy's
๐Ÿ“ Reply