Quantcast
Electronics geeks - lend me a hand? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electronics geeks - lend me a hand?
Old 10th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Electronics geeks - lend me a hand?

I come to you in hopes of a helping hand. I don’t have a clue what This guy is talking about. I have a stereo set of LA-4 and one has gone a little screw-bally (sluggish VU and a little darker than usual). I found that web site while searching the net for fix it options.

Does that guy know what he’s talking about? I’d love to open those out a little more and getting the one fixed concurrently would be a double bonus.
The problem is that I’m not familiar enough with audio circuits or design to decide if he’s a crazy dude fixing LA-4s on his website or if he’s a good deal. UA sent me the name of the guy they recommend for all the Urei restorations. Prices are similar between the two…

Any opinions?
-drew
This

- first post and I thought this guy was pretty funny.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
hey...I don't know anthing about your question, but do you know how to copy that little guy so he can be used in regular emails....that would be cool....I like that guy too...
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
He has a clue. I don't know of anybody with more well documented mods for that paticular piece (who's willing to share them...) HTH
Old 10th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
thanks subspace.
I might e-mail him and get a better feel of the operation.

-drew
Old 10th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Eddie knows his ****. I wouldn't worry about sending it to him. The only other place I know of that does lots of work on old Urei stuff is Alatronics in MA. A web search should pull them up.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
LA4 mods

Eddie Rox Big Time!

He's a technical editor at Mix Magazine, but don't hold that against him.

Full Disclosure: Eddie is a friend of mine. Like Dan Kennedy, he's a really sharp guy in audio electronics, and he (they) are also two of the nicest human beings on the planet.

More Disclosure: The article on Eddie's website was originally published in Mix, and the LA4's in the article are mine.

Eddie has modded 6 LA4's for me, 4 blackface, and 2 silver. His basic upgrade is truly spectacular. He makes sure that the meter is working right, replaces the slow and nasty IC's with zippy ones, and tests every stage of the unit for proper performance.

Nasty artifacts are gone. Squishing harder doesn't make the sound get darker, just more squashed. I think Ciletti Modified LA4's can hold their own with other units costing up to $1800 per channel.

The silver face pair has a pretty wacky mod in addition to the basic upgrade, each one has a built-in Trident 80 mic pre amp with transformer input and phantom power!

I would go crazy nuts if I had to track a band without my wall-o-Ciletti LA4z.

My (vintage) 1176 and LA4's were barely usable before Eddie cleaned them up. I would not hesitate to entrust vintage Urei (or any other brand) products to his care.

wurly
Old 10th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well there ya go. Sounds like the word from the horses mouth. Thanks Wurly!

-drew
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One more for Eddie.I have only had one interaction with him, but I wish he lived closer so I could send all my repairs to him.

Wurly, invite him over to hang here.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Midwest Electro-Techs

Having Dan Kennedy and Eddie Ciletti in the neigborhood is great.

I originally tracked down Dan Kennedy because I heard that he had done some upgrades to a Tac Scorpion, and I was a Scorpion guy at the time. Dan told me that Eddie was moving to Minnesota from Manhatten. Dan introduced me to Eddie. Eddie became my ADAT guy when he moved here. Funny thing, when Eddie fixes an ADAT, they stay fixed a whole lot longer than when other people work on them.

Whenever I go to Eddie's house, I am reminded how lucky I am to have him in the hood. His living room and basement are full of boxes from UPS, all from people living thousands of miles away that rely on him to keep their gear in top shape. Much of the gear is from verrrrry famous people and studios.

Like I said before, Dan and Eddie are always switched to "Super Nice Mode". They are really great people, period. And can I really call this living when I don't have a Great River NV preamp? I don't think so.

wurly

lucky to know the good guys in Minnesota.
📝 Reply