Quantcast
Stand Alone Converters - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stand Alone Converters
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Stand Alone Converters

Sorry that this post is a duplicate, but I thought this forum might be more suited to my questions.

I'm looking into upgrading my Digi 001 by adding a stand-alone 8 channel converter. I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on this. It has to have ADAT optical ins and outs. My choices as I see them are:

Swissonic
Lucid
RME

Probably in that order. Is the clock/sound in any of these significantly better? I'm interested to know if you think itwill improve the sound of the built-in converters as well by using the clock in the outboard unit. (I do, but I haven't actually done the tests). I'll probably try to rent first, but I'm curious to know what all you guys think, and also if I'm missing any choices.

I do mainly rock and will be mixing both internally and externally through a Soundcraft 600. I have the option of going to tape first too, but this shouldn't matter, I just thought I'd be thorough.

Thanks!
Old 10th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Well, none of them really suck. The only problem I have with the Lucid 8824 is that the I/O metering can only be changed through software which is a huge drag.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'd suggest the you wait a couple of weeks, there will be some new considerations for your list after the NAMM show.
Old 10th January 2003
Founder

Add to the list a second hand Apogee AD8000SE with ADAT AMBUS card fitted -that would work well too....

Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a budget solution that you might want to consider. I use a 001 as well (still wating for the big jump) and needed more I/O .
I picked up a Frontier Designs Tango24 on EBay for 350 or 400 bucks, ca't remember. 8 analog ins and outs, ADAT lightpipe in//out/thru, and wordclock in. Noticeable improvement over the 001 AD converters, especially when the whole mess is clocked with the Genx6 I picked up for cheap. Long story short, for about 600 bucks I now have 16 decent (not great) channels of conversion and I/O. This will get me through till the "next step" Hope this is of use! TommyD
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re: Stand Alone Converters

Quote:
Originally posted by mml
Sorry that this post is a duplicate, but I thought this forum might be more suited to my questions.

I'm looking into upgrading my Digi 001 by adding a stand-alone 8 channel converter. I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on this. It has to have ADAT optical ins and outs. My choices as I see them are:

Swissonic
Lucid
RME

Probably in that order. Is the clock/sound in any of these significantly better? I'm interested to know if you think itwill improve the sound of the built-in converters as well by using the clock in the outboard unit. (I do, but I haven't actually done the tests). I'll probably try to rent first, but I'm curious to know what all you guys think, and also if I'm missing any choices.

I do mainly rock and will be mixing both internally and externally through a Soundcraft 600. I have the option of going to tape first too, but this shouldn't matter, I just thought I'd be thorough.

Thanks!
I'm partial to the Lucid, but any of the 3 you mentioned will be a big improvement over the stock 001 converters.

Slaving the 001 converters to an external clock helps some but, to my ears, not a lot. Some peoples' mileage on that one seems to vary, though.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you're interested in Swissonic, check the classifieds...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...6382#post26382
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys!

I'd love to get a used Apogee, but my budget prohibits me. I AM on a Digi001. If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get into a Radar.

On the clock issue, do I need to get a stand alone clock source, or can't I just use the clock coming in on the lightpipe?
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Apogee

Hi again-

Do you think the price on the apogee units are going to drop dramatically in the near future with the adoption of PTHD? I've heard that the new PT converters/clock actually equal or beat the apogees, which would be good for us sloppy-seconders.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well the Apogee's don't all work with HD, so if you move up to HD you're forced to make a change. That alone should put some good used equipment into the market. You'll also see some new things from Apogee in a couple of weeks that will have a similar effect.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
outta the 3 you mentioned, the lucid ada8824. hands down.

ml
πŸ“ Reply