Quantcast
Vintech 1272 opinions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech 1272 opinions
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Vintech 1272 opinions

I am looking for a good pre for rock drums, primarily kick, snare. What do you think of the Vintech 1272. I am not necessarily interested in it's comparison to NEVE 1272, just whether it is thick and ballsy sounding and built well enough to justify it's price. Thanks!!
Old 9th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Totally. I dig mine and it gets lots of use around here. Usually one of the kick mics, guitars, sometimes vocals (usually with a 414, combo is nice and meaty), lots of bass etc. Can't go too wrong with it especially for the price. One wish is that the power cable was detachable so I could put something shorter on there. It's pretty damn long which is cool for guitar amps, not so cool for rack gear. Still, I'd buy it again.
Old 9th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto. I like mine on all those sources plus drum overheads, sometimes. There's a certain color happenin' that I don't hear from any other pre... I guess it's the Neve thing. The Vintech can sometimes make snares sound a little too large in the 150-220hz range when close miking.

It's a pre I wouldn't be without. Oh yeah the DI is pretty damn good too.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I use it all the time.....drums, bass, vocals even acoustic guitars.
It rocks!
-Scotty
Old 10th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Overheads you say? Hmm... haven't tried that one yet. I started using my Dakings for OH's a few months ago and I've been on that since. They just sound sooo freakin' good there and having the EQ is handy since I usually like to add a little top or take out some 3khz so they're smooth.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Vintech

Have the Vintech, and love it. Good piece of Iron. Sounds great on kick, snare, gtrs, and bass. I like my Trident modules for Overheads cause they got EQ.

Allen
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
vintech

Anyone comparing the Vintech to some favorite Neve module is missing the point. Its a good sounding, solidly built, reliable piece of gear. And the whole idea with outboard preamps is to have a variety of tones, as different situations place different demands on the amp. The Vintech is a very useful box at a surprisingly fair price; at just over $600/ch street price. Compare it to the other boxes out there at that price point.

steve
[email protected]
Old 11th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: vintech

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
Anyone comparing the Vintech to some favorite Neve module is missing the point.
Probably, but I didn't see anyone comparing the 1272 to other Neve modules in this thread. It does have its own color, however, and since it is a Neve design, what other name would you use?? It is what it is: the sound of a Neve 1272 through the reworkings of Vintech...

Its value as a preamp was the main qualification of all replies.
Old 12th January 2003
tee
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
dig it too

I really like mine, it's been a workhorse on lot's of sources ...... I wouldn't call it a fast sounding pre, but it's got the "gut" to be flattering to digital. In combo with the BA API 312 and Phoenix DRS-2 ( which I totally dig! ) I'm getting a half decent pallette to choose from.

I'd really like to add a Flamingo to the mix and wouldn't mind checking out X73 or the new 473.

Tony
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone comparing the Vintech to some favorite Neve module is missing the point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably, but I didn't see anyone comparing the 1272 to other Neve modules in this thread

I was referring to the general complaints that the unit is hit with on all the various audio forums. (but I should have said so)

The "It's not wired the way Rupert would have done it" kind of complaints carry no weight with me. Neve never used the 1272 as a mic preamp, so what the hell does that kind of remark mean, anyway? This is a $600/ch preamp, not a $4800 Neve and my point was that it stands on its own merits.

steve
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve

I was referring to the general complaints that the unit is hit with on all the various audio forums. (but I should have said so)

The "It's not wired the way Rupert would have done it" kind of complaints carry no weight with me. Neve never used the 1272 as a mic preamp, so what the hell does that kind of remark mean, anyway? steve
I think you're reffering to Geoff Tanners remarks in RAP. What Geoff is referring to is many people that setup 1272's place all the gain on the first stage instead of distributing equally between the two stages. This is done by putting the proper value resistors in the feedback loop for each of the two amplifiers. If you place all the gain on the first gain block lot's of distortion usually occurs. IRRC The 1073 type channel amps have a total of 3 gain stages which get switched into the circuit as required. Trying to get anything past about 60-70db of gain is asking a lot from a 1272 type amp.

I purchased a 1272 that was modified to be used as a mic preamp that had all the gain placed on the first stage, it didn't work very well, but it was done by a well known Neve mod guy who shall remain nameless. The amp would distort badly on numerous signals. I fixed the problem by distributing the gain across the two stages by changing out the two resistors that control each gain stage.

The only application that the 1272 was being used as a mic pre-amp was as a talkback amp in their consoles with about 70db of gain, otherwise the 1272 was used as line/summing amp.

Mark
πŸ“ Reply