Quantcast
Who has compared DACS? MicAmp with... anything? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who has compared DACS? MicAmp with... anything?
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Hi !

Has anyone here lined the DACS MicAmp up with another mic pre for A/B-listening? What did you hear?
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Quote:
Originally posted by nativeaudio
Hi !

Has anyone here lined the DACS MicAmp up with another mic pre for A/B-listening? What did you hear?
I tried one yesterday up against a Buzz audio,Vintech X73,and Avalon 737 for a vocalist female(U47 microphone).

For this vocalist, on this particular day, with the Neumann U47 i went with the DACS.

For her it just gave an extra something that I wasn't getting with others. But that something was not alot(I actually didn't like any of them on her, but I had to use something).

I ended up EQing the mic(added lots of air and tightened up the bottomn) and compressed it with a Blue230.

I thought it was a nice mic pre. I actually prefer the Buzz Audio a little bit more, but if its all I had I could probably make it work.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
I actually didn't like any of them on her, but I had to use something.
..and then...

Quote:
I actually prefer the Buzz Audio a little bit more
OK.... "A little more" than "didn't like" still isn't very enthusiastic. :-] Are there and pre's that you generally really like? Just curious......
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Quote:
..and then...

OK.... "A little more" than "didn't like" still isn't very enthusiastic. :-] Are there and pre's that you generally really like? Just curious......
Are you asking in this particular price range?

For tracking vocals?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Quote:
Are you asking in this particular price range?

For tracking vocals?
No specific price range. For vocals, percussion, stringed instruments, piano.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Quote:
No specific price range. For vocals, percussion, stringed instruments, piano.
If I had one mic pre(or pair) for all of those choices it would probably be the Martech MSS10 or the GML mic pre. But mic selection/availability would be crucial.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Thrillfactor, I've been curious about the MSS-10 for some time now, unfortunately they are not available in tpwn so I can't demo them. (Can you believe there's just one recently appointed Cranesong dealer and it doesn't even have demo units either! ) Anyway, what would they compare to? I'm familiar with the 8302 and the M5/2022 in the clean but cool department... Thanks!
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Hey Thrillfactor, I've been curious about the MSS-10 for some time now, unfortunately they are not available in tpwn so I can't demo them. (Can you believe there's just one recently appointed Cranesong dealer and it doesn't even have demo units either! ) Anyway, what would they compare to? I'm familiar with the 8302 and the M5/2022 in the clean but cool department... Thanks!
They compare to a "clean" Neve. Warmth with clarity. Very nice on vocals and piano/strings. They were actually some of the most popular mic pre's over at Sony Studios Classical division. They are clearer than the Avalon pre's. I've used one on occasion and have been wanting to buy one for the longest(or two).

Its only distributed by Martech i think(but not sure). Its also a great looking unit.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

Quote:
I tried one yesterday up against a Buzz audio,Vintech X73,and Avalon 737 for a vocalist female(U47 microphone).

For this vocalist, on this particular day, with the Neumann U47 i went with the DACS.

For her it just gave an extra something that I wasn't getting with others. But that something was not alot(I actually didn't like any of them on her, but I had to use something).

I ended up EQing the mic(added lots of air and tightened up the bottomn) and compressed it with a Blue230.

I thought it was a nice mic pre. I actually prefer the Buzz Audio a little bit more, but if its all I had I could probably make it work.
Hey NativeAudio,

Just tried same setup tonite on a male vocalist(baritone/Rnb(R Kelly like) and the Buzz Audio won hands down. Also ended up using less air on the Avalon 2055.

Goes to figure on different singers a different combination is sometimes needed.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who has compared the DACS MicAmp with... anything?

Quote:
If I had one mic pre(or pair) for all of those choices it would probably be the Martech MSS10 or the GML mic pre. But mic selection/availability would be crucial.
Haven't heard the Martech yet, but I need a ultra turbo quiet mic pre, and from the spec sheet, the DACS Clarity seems like one of the best choices (noise-wise, but it also get really good reviews) available at any price.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years

Quote:
Haven't heard the Martech yet, but I need a ultra turbo quiet mic pre, and from the spec sheet, the DACS Clarity seems like one of the best choices (noise-wise, but it also get really good reviews) available at any price.
Be careful Native...tut

Some of those reviewers can be kinda biased sometimes.grudge

I think every new pre these days looks great on paper.

But how does it work in the field?

There are a lot of great pres out there. Some guys here lean more to one side than the other. I am actually one of the worst guys to ask, since i don't track at all these days and when i do its usually just vocals(like all of my sessions this week).

Clarity,warmth,depth are such subjective terms. I think a Millenia Media,Great River MPH-2,GML 8300,Buzz Audio,Dacs,Sytek, and I could go on forever are all clear depending on the mic and source.

Sounds like you need Lynn Fuston Mic Pre CD.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Be careful Native...tut
Some of those reviewers can be kinda biased sometimes.grudge
I think every new pre these days looks great on paper.
But how does it work in the field?
Let’s hope that SOS, Mix, SSAIRA + the readers of Studio Sound are not all corrupt :-]
Quote:
I think a Millenia Media,Great River MPH-2,GML 8300,Buzz Audio,Dacs,Sytek, and I could go on forever are all clear depending on the mic and source.
Sure.
Quote:
Sounds like you need Lynn Fuston Mic Pre CD.
It sure does. It's hopefully on it's way - but the DACS is not on the list of included pre's AFAIK:-[ Therefore: are there more people here who have personal experiences with the DACS? (One of the reasons I'm interested in the DACS is that it is made here in Europe and therefore more easily available/serviceable/less expensive here than the US stuff...)
Old 2nd August 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Martech sounds very clear.

Much clearer than the Voxbox.
Attached Images
Who has compared DACS? MicAmp with... anything?-higherthanheavenscdcovertin.jpg 
Old 1st April 2004
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So... what would be a good reason to buy the 'old' two channel model instead of the new 8 channel version? What is better in the 2 channel version? Less noise? Crosstalk? Harmonic distortion?

Thanks...
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So... what would be a good reason to buy the 'old' two channel model instead of the new 8 channel version? What is better in the 2 channel version? Less noise? Crosstalk? Harmonic distortion?

Thanks...
Good questions! Inquiring mice want to gnaw!

BTW this new one will in fact be on the 3D pre CD.
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As an owner of 2 DACS Micamp's, I can tell you that they're very good. I have directly compared it to another 'clean' preamp, the Audio Upgrades High Speed.

With a Royer SF-12 ribbon, I fed one side into the DACS, and the other side into the AU. I then used a DACS Headlite headphone amp to listen w/ headphones. You can switch the Headlite so it monitors one channel in both ears, or stereo left and right.

With the DACS in one ear and the AU in the other, the DACS was the clear winner here. It's just warmer and more natural sounding, alive! The AU sounds a bit cold by comparison.

I think I might like the Audio Upgrades better on tube mics though. It's a serious straight wire w/ gain, no coloration at any gain setting. Somehow I find the DACS a little unflattering on them.

This might be room dependant, as it conveys so much of the acoustic space as picked up by the microphone. Yeah, if you're recording in crappy rooms, the DACS is probably not a good choice, as you'll hear everything!

FWIW, I also have a Chandler TG2, and these shouldn't even be in the same conversation. The Chandler is a distortion box, the DACS is anything but.
Old 1st April 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thanks...
Good question.

For starters there's a few features that the MicAmp (2 ch.) has that the clear blue doesn't; phase inversion, three position bass roll-off and more accurate gain control (with both "coarse" switching gain and "fine" rotary gain controls).

Because of these extra features, the MicAmp performs happily as a standalone mic pre in any situation whereas the clear blue requires a DAW or similar to create a complete system.

Also not to be forgotten is that the circuits in the MicAmp are different to those used in the clear blue, and it generally uses more expensive components.

So far we haven't managed to do any in-depth A/B listening comparisons, but hope to in the very near future.

I hope this answers your question.

Max
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think I also saw that the Clear Blue Pre has 2 color LED's for metering, whereas the Micamp has a 3 color LED. I guess if you're using a DAW you've got meters on that of course.
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by maxDACS
So far we haven't managed to do any in-depth A/B listening comparisons, but hope to in the very near future. [/B]
Thanks - don't hesitate to let us know what the differences are...
Old 12th April 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Although not particularly meant as Millennia/DACS comparison (it was ADK vs. Neumann test), you can hear a touch of difference between various Millennia sets and DACS here: http://www.grafik.chytrak.cz/MP3/index.html

(it is not me singing :-)

As a long time owner of DACS and later Millennia, I would describe DACS as hyperrealistic, organically grown, wild, full, and Millennia as decent, natural, sweet, transparent, very musical

If asked for a direct comparison - for my type of acoustic instrumental music I found Millennia to sound a bit "prettier", to use just one word ...
Old 13th April 2004
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Its only distributed by Martech i think(but not sure). Its also a great looking unit.
http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/martech.html
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
Good questions! Inquiring mice want to gnaw!

BTW this new one will in fact be on the 3D pre CD.
The 2 channel version too, I hope?
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The 2 channel version too, I hope?
No, just the new "Clear Blue" one. Too bad.
Old 24th April 2004
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm glad to see DACS getting some attention! The Clarity is a stunning mic pre. I reviewed the DACS Clarity here... http://www.digitalprosound.com/2003/...cs_clarity.htm

We compared the DACS Clarity to 30+ mic pres over several months, and doing what it does it does exceptionally. No other pre on the market sounds like the DACS Clarity. I met with Douglas Doherty at AES in NYC and told him that of all the "transparent" mic pres we'd tried, on the "transparent/colored" scale, the Clarity was the only one that was to the left of transparent.

transparent << ------------------------------->> colored

The Clarity is off the scale. I described it as "hyper- realistic". " I have described it as having the transparency of Millennia with the punch of API."

The Clarity is butt ugly and I spoke with Douglas about considering a new paint job. I believe he said it was being considered. : )
Old 26th April 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for such a glowing recommendation (of course one that the MicAmp is worthy of!)

Dan's review, as well as those from The Mix and Sound on Sound, are available to view from our website at:

http://www.dacs-audio.com/Documentation/doc_frame.htm

Best,

Max
Old 27th April 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Max!
Having incredibly impeccable taste, I urge you not to change the look of the Clarity Mic Amp before I manage to purchase one.
Old 27th April 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Taste is an altogether subjective thing - some people love the front panel, some people aren't so keen - waddyagonnado?!

At the end of the day it's how the unit performs that counts, and I don't think we have anything to worry about on that front. But don't worry IGM, there's not going to be any changes to the MicAmp in the very near future.

Best,

Max
πŸ“ Reply