Quantcast
Quad Eight 248 console - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quad Eight 248 console
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quad Eight 248 console

I just got a small Quad Eight 248 series console...from what little I have been able to gather about these, they have some chips in them... but I got it for $400 so I figured I couldn't really go too wrong with buying it...

I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about it...

...what looks interesting is that it has 6 stereo channels that each accept 4 stereo inputs. There are pots to control how much each of the 4 stereo inputs mix into each channel and then theres a fader at the bottom of each with a solo and mute...This appears to provide 24 stereo pairs(6 sub-groups of 4)...it also has three pre amps w/3 band eqs and room for 3 more mic pre's and eqs...I can't tell exactly whats going on with this yet because the power supply cable was missing and it needs some work...wondering if the summing is any good.

If anyone has any info about this thing, please let me know...thanks.

pic attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Quad Eight 248 console-i-1.jpg  
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Check out www.quadeight.net, which is an enthusiast's site. The short story is that Quadeight was the American console before API came along, and the stuff still measures up very well.

Damn, that's a nice score, even needing some TLC. That looks so f-ing cool, so much nicer than any of the Mackie-esque mini mixers on the market.

Bear
Old 9th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Looks and sounds like a broadcast console from your description. I'm sure the summing is good, maybe great. Gotta be better then a Wackie or a Behringer. But, if it is a broadcast board it might be more useful in pieces then as a whole.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I actually have the same post on the message board at www.quadeight.net, but haven't gotten any resposes yet....

Thanks for your input regarding the console Jay...I'm curious why it might be more useful in pieces rather than as a whole...what are your thoughts?...
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I thought about that board when it was on Ebay but the odd configuration of only 3 eq's put me off. Incidentally those eq's are the least desireable of the Q8's. I've never heard them though so they may sound great.
Funky Junk in Paris are selling a rack of 8 x 248 EQ's if you felt like filling out the desk. Here's the bad news, they've priced them at nearly $1,000 each.
That is WAY over the top. Lately there have been much more desireable Q8 modules selling on Ebay for no more than $500 each.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
its the summing that I was paricularly interested in...if its good, to be able to to sum 24 stereo pairs with the sub-groups could be cool for mixing with Pro-tools...at least that was my thinking..I want to mainly do analog compression on the sub groups and then sum them together back into pro-tools, but I wouldn't bother with this thing unless the summing is cool...don't know yet...thanks for the info though....I've seen those eqs on ebay too.

also dig the VU meters and the look of it...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…