Quantcast
emt plates 240, what about? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
emt plates 240, what about?
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
emt plates 240, what about?

I have acces to 9 emt plates (great stuff!) 2 of them are called 240. What is the difference with "normal" (I know TS and VT)
(This is my first question on gearslutz, exciting!)
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well I am no expert compared to many of my colleagues in this forum, but as far as I know, the 240 plates are smaller than the 140, and less desirable in general. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 240 has stereo inputs.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
correct..stereo inputs that sum!! the 140 is a steel plate..kinda noisy electronics (Martinsound has a low noise kit)the 240 is a gold foil..warmer..and physically much smaller..with better acoustic isolation
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yo foxxy, i told you these sluts know their gear!.........
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
240 sound very good in my opinion, you can't replicate the sound with any digital effect. The reverb is very dimensional and adds a lot of 3d to your mixes. Wonderful.
It's a lil bit noisy (I see it as built in analog dither) All you have is reverb time and a switchable highpassfilter at 100 hz where you can rolloff the bass from flat, -4, -12 and -24 db. Lookout for the remote control, otherwise you have to run to the unit evry time you want to change the settings. On the remote you can also see the reverb time.

Cheers, Andreas
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto above post. Although it's not the "standard" plate sound the 240 is quite good in its own right. It's cool with a very short time to put some "space" behind an acoustic or vocal. Especially nice in minimalist songs with few instruments where you don't want it wet yet you want to have some sense of space around the instruments.
Where are you located? I'll take one! heh
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes indeed, that's what I~Need!

Thanx you

let me try that....
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A properly 'tuned' EMT plate is freakin an awesome sounding and very natural reverb that shines on vocals and snares IMHO...

Seriously take out insurance when u move the bastard and DON'T take the 4 person lift seriously cos they are IMMENSELY heavy!!!... and even more dont be thinking that you will have the same cheesy grin as the dudes who are illustrated on the plaque detailing the lifitng procedures of these beasts!... Who said the Germans had no humour?!!!!heh heh heh

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
240 sound very good in my opinion, you can't replicate the sound with any digital effect. The reverb is very dimensional and adds a lot of 3d to your mixes. Wonderful.
It's a lil bit noisy (I see it as built in analog dither) All you have is reverb time and a switchable highpassfilter at 100 hz where you can rolloff the bass from flat, -4, -12 and -24 db. Lookout for the remote control, otherwise you have to run to the unit evry time you want to change the settings. On the remote you can also see the reverb time.

Cheers, Andreas
If you like the 240 on the mix, wait till you try a 252 or even better a 250.

It doesn't get any better.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I know the 250 and the 252 ! Yummy.
I have only an EMT 246 with the 250 algorithms implemented, they are similar in character but the 250 sounds a lot warmer and so f... dense, it's incredible. Want one !
I think, the prices go down a lil bit in the moment, so maybe...rollz

Andreas
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
new TC4000 supposed to have xcellent 250 emulate program
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
new TC4000 supposed to have xcellent 250 emulate program
So does the Eventide Orville. But none captures the feelings and depth of the real thing.

I think the more modern stuff actually makes it worst (to clear for my taste). Part of the magic of the 250 is EMT at the time trying to get the best out of the technology available. It gives it its own personal unique character.

Its also what makes the Quantec QRS,Yamaha Rev1 and the AMS RMX16 so special.
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
spammingly yours

so, with all this plate talk....anyone want a 1957 EMT 140 plate? The 4 smiling dudes are still smiling. I'm just plain outta room.
chap

sorry for the spam
Old 15th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: spammingly yours

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
so, with all this plate talk....anyone want a 1957 EMT 140 plate? The 4 smiling dudes are still smiling. I'm just plain outta room.
Sure, I'm interested - where are is it located, and how much would it cost (remembering that I'm a poor man...).
Old 15th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
BTW Somebody knows someone who is fit in tunning a EMT 140 in germany?!?
Old 15th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
So does the Eventide Orville. But none captures the feelings and depth of the real thing.

I think the more modern stuff actually makes it worst (to clear for my taste). Part of the magic of the 250 is EMT at the time trying to get the best out of the technology available. It gives it its own personal unique character.
The EMT emulation in the TC6000 is quite good I think. I own an EMT252 and have sometimes access to the EMT250 but since I got the EMT emulation with my System6000 I don't use the EMT stuff anymore (but probably will again additionally soon). I haven't done a direct comparison but in the mix the TC emulation sounds very good. You should say what you mean with 'depth' ... personally I like clear, smooth and dense sounding reverbs in contrast to the Lexicon reverbs for example, which I don't like very much.
The original EMTs, the Sys6000 with or without EMT emulation and the impulse response machines can deliver rooms like this (smooth and clear). In this respect the EMT emulation of the Sys6000 is quite EMT like sounding ... at least to me. I wouldn't put the EMT252/250 into the opposite of 'clear' as it seems that they were made with technology of that time to deliver something like a 'clear' sounding room without too much coloration, resonating or 'chorusing'. Coming from the late 70ies these reverbs are indeed outstanding.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cheap

cheap. I want it to have a good home.
[email protected]
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an Echoplate II . . . to me there is no comparison between a real plate, real room verb or tape slap next to a digital verb or effect. Digital effects never seem to fall down 'inside' a track 'organically' as much as they sound as though they are a 'wash' of sorts on top of the track. IMO.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
The EMT emulation in the TC6000 is quite good I think. I own an EMT252 and have sometimes access to the EMT250 but since I got the EMT emulation with my System6000 I don't use the EMT stuff anymore (but probably will again additionally soon). I haven't done a direct comparison but in the mix the TC emulation sounds very good. You should say what you mean with 'depth' ... personally I like clear, smooth and dense sounding reverbs in contrast to the Lexicon reverbs for example, which I don't like very much.
The original EMTs, the Sys6000 with or without EMT emulation and the impulse response machines can deliver rooms like this (smooth and clear). In this respect the EMT emulation of the Sys6000 is quite EMT like sounding ... at least to me. I wouldn't put the EMT252/250 into the opposite of 'clear' as it seems that they were made with technology of that time to deliver something like a 'clear' sounding room without too much coloration, resonating or 'chorusing'. Coming from the late 70ies these reverbs are indeed outstanding.

I own a 252(and a DSP7000/stereo version of the Orville) also and the TC6000/Eventide emulation at best comes close, but its just not the same. A lot of what gave the EMT its sound is the algorhytms and conversion something that the TC will never duplicate. I've never been a fan of the TC reverbs, to me they are too thin. If I want a thin reverb, I will use a real room in mono with some EQ. I think its a good complementary unit for a Lexicon. What still makes the 480L popular is the fact that now with the technology, you can hear its imperfections(especially with the new sampling reverbs)but it can still envelop a vocal in a mix like nothing else(with the exception of the Yamaha Rev 1).

But that being said, none of these units is a EMT250, my all time favorite for a mix reverb. To this day I haven't heard a reverb unit that comes close to its sound and I doubt I ever will.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
But that being said, none of these units is a EMT250, my all time favorite for a mix reverb. To this day I haven't heard a reverb unit that comes close to its sound and I doubt I ever will.
Nope . . they are the best of the heap! Even with the little amount of editing ability they have . . . they still kick everyone's ass. You certainly pay for it.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Nutmeg,
The company EMT is still working, you can contact them. Maybe they have some older gentlemen sitting around, who know about the old stuff.
I have also a Telephone number of an EMT Technician here in Germany, maybe he can help you. I'll send you a private mail.

by the way, I think, none of all these machines can beat the look of an EMT 250 !

gruetziwohl, Andreas
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
EMT ignoramus here.....
Everybody's talking about the 250 and 252, but nobody's mentioned the 251.
Can it be compared to the 250? Was it simply a slightly different version or did they ruin the 250 with the update to 251.
Also has anyone had their hands on the EMT clone: Dynatron 255?
I assume - in my cynical way - that it can't hold a candle to any EMT, let alone a 250. Mind you it ain't cheap, $5-$6k.
Old 17th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
EMT ignoramus here.....
Everybody's talking about the 250 and 252, but nobody's mentioned the 251.
Can it be compared to the 250? Was it simply a slightly different
The EMT 252 seems to be a 251 in a rack and higher integrated - they are both different sounding to the 250 but still very good.The 251 and 252 can be controlled by the same remote (252 S).
(just a bit technical trivia)
πŸ“ Reply