new 17" LCD PowerBook - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new 17" LCD PowerBook
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
new 17" LCD PowerBook

go check it out...man, who want to buy my tibook 500mhz? i want this 17" LCD beauty!
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well - I just ordered its mini-friend the 12" G4 ! Who needs a Palm - when this does everything! (except have a PC card slot for Magma cages - but I've got plenty of Macs - none as cool as this one.)
Attached Thumbnails
new 17" LCD PowerBook-powerbook12top01052003.jpg  
Old 8th January 2003
Founder

On the big one, check this out!

The keyboard LIGHTS UP GRADUALLY AS IT GETS DARKER IN THE ROOM!!!!

Hmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

At 17" one HAS to start investigating patching a cable TV tuner directly into it and using it's screen, say in the kitchen or bedroom for TV.

It would already function as a fine DVD player away from the main room of a house.

I wonder if it is popcorn proof?
Old 8th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Very cool

I watched Steve jobs on the webcast

I am using SAFARI which is Apple's new web browser which is in beta and available for free download from the apple site. It's pretty cool, but I recommend you also download CHIMERA beta 0.6 too which is another open source browser in development which is rather cool. I'm now using both of these instead of Internet Explorer OR Netscape which are both, to be honest, completely crap and slow next to these two.

It's funny what people seem to be into. The 12" TiBook is perfect for me - I was nearly gonna get an iBook for my travels for mainly biz stuff and a small amount of music, but now this thing has come out I can not only have it smaller and carry it in a small bag all day without getting pissed off, but can do even more stuff with music on it than an iBook 'cos it's a G4. ****ing marvelous!!!! And it's like everything just released, built in bluetooth. Finally, it's here and we can expect it in everything. Hoo bloody ray.

The new compatabiity with iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD are also very cool, and the fact that I can have a SuperDrive in the tiny 12"TiBook and burn of DVD's from iDVD is just great.

The rumourmill has it that the next 3 months will also bring some pretty big announcments.

But all in all, I gotta say, I'm completely surprised at just how Apple managed to keep all this **** under wraps.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

You know what guys?! I'm tired of wanting to buuy new stuff and never having the funds to it...
I think I'll rob a bank!?
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You know what guys?! I'm tired of wanting to buuy new stuff and never having the funds to it..
I got lucky (sort of). My bank mysteriously gave me $2000 more credit on my card without me asking for it - less than a day before MWSF. I didn't have any money either - and I still get new gear! (interest - shminterest!).

I'm stoked about the new mini G4. Some people have bitched about it not being powerful enough. And - I do wish it had Firewire 800 and a DVI port. BUT - I'm not getting it to replace my working machine. I'm getting it instead of wanting a palm that does much more than any palm can do. I'm getting it as a portable hub for my bluetooth phone, my iPod and my digital camera. I'm getting it for the superior coffee-house show-off geek factor.

Sorry - I'll shut up now. But you know.....
it's exciting buying new gear heh heh heh
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i like the 12" model too...but it doesn't have pcmcia slot...so i can't use it with my rme multiface or the 2 slots magma.
Old 8th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Here's Jobs with the Powerbooks so you can get a real idea of size.
Attached Thumbnails
new 17" LCD PowerBook-9jobs3.jpg  
Old 8th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
bigger...biggest!!!
Attached Thumbnails
new 17" LCD PowerBook-8jobs2.jpg  
Old 8th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin

I'm getting it instead of wanting a palm that does much more than any palm can do. I'm getting it as a portable hub for my bluetooth phone, my iPod and my digital camera.

Me too!!
Old 8th January 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
bigger...biggest!!!
damn... ill take one.
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I supposed to go out for 6 weeks in mid february, and I was looking to replace my laptop.

I use it for -

Surfing
Watching DVD's
Lite editing of shows recorded on Masterlink
Software training (self paced training)

I priced a Toshiba, a Mac notebook, a SONY viao, and a DELL laptop.

The cheapest of the machines was @ $1600US - with the combo DVD/CD-RW drive, and a 15" screen minimum, plus the usual USB-56k-10/100 compliment of features.

I decided on a small form factor PC with a 17" LCD monitor. In a (lite calzone like) case, the whole she-bang weighs less than 45 lbs, and sets up in 5 minutes.

Total cost: $1000, and it comes with a 3 yr warranty, USB 2.0 and the ability to add ram / HD space / DVD writer cheaply.

The Acer 602TER notebook (PIII/650Mhz, 256Mb 13") still goes on the plane with me, I get 4.5 hrs off the battery....
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At 17" is it really a laptop at that point? it's more like a TV trayheh I still want one, though
Old 8th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NYC Drew
I decided on a small form factor PC with a 17" LCD monitor. In a (lite calzone like) case, the whole she-bang weighs less than 45 lbs,

I'm not lugging that around ny, la and london!
Old 9th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
ohm here's the 120 inch PowerBook by the way....
Attached Thumbnails
new 17" LCD PowerBook-120_inch_pb.jpg  
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I want one of each.

Question 1: How quiet is the 17"?

Wishful thinking: Because the 17" case is aluminum alloy, not painted Titanium, it would get rid of heat more efficiently, have less need for loud fans, and be quieter than the notoriously loud 1 gig Tibooks.

Question 2: When will the firewire 2 audio I/O devices arrive? MOOOOTUUUU......

-M.M.M.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ohm here's the 120 inch PowerBook by the way....
Looks like a stretch limo....
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm not lugging that around ny, la and london!
Bev,

The Acer notebook is 5.1 lbs, CD-RW, built in ethernet & modem. When I get to my hotel room, if I wish, I reak out the DELL with the 17" LCD.

Didja ever see a laptop with a 120Gb HD?grggt
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt

Question 1: How quiet is the 17"?

Wishful thinking: Because the 17" case is aluminum alloy, not painted Titanium, it would get rid of heat more efficiently, have less need for loud fans, and be quieter than the notoriously loud 1 gig Tibooks.
I use a couple of Titaniums with Magmas, one is the original 400 and the other an 800. Neither of them is loud when I'm tracking or mixing. When I'm back at the hotel and I surf the Web for a while the fan comes on more than running PT. FWIW.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Acer notebook is 5.1 lbs, CD-RW, built in ethernet & modem.
The 12" PB G4 is 4.6 pounds with built in Wifi (54mps not 11!) Bluetooth Ethernet Modem Firewire USB CDRW and optional DVDR.

Really its the Bluetooth and Wifi combination that got me hooked.

I have a similar plan to break out a 17" flat panel in some places.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hmm the 17 and the KSP-8 w/Mlan would give you quite a portable set...hmmm maybe they should just add a couple of pre's to the KSP-8 :eek:
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Actually I was thinking of an Apogee Mini-Me and a 12" G4.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
I use a couple of Titaniums with Magmas, one is the original 400 and the other an 800. Neither of them is loud when I'm tracking or mixing. When I'm back at the hotel and I surf the Web for a while the fan comes on more than running PT. FWIW.
Interesting point. Makes me think that since it's also probably more of a CPU drain to use DP3 than PT TDM, DP3 will cause more fan action and noise. I was considering the 17" Powerbook + Magma chassis with DP3 (their new 2408 MK3 Interface which requires a PCI card, plus one of the 3rd party DSP PCI cards). However, if the new Powerbooks have CPU-sensitive fans, it might make more sense to go PT TDM.

The alternative is to go for the 12" Powerbook with a MOTU firewire interface,
and keep the PCI systems in the tower.

Re Powerbook noise: from what I understand, the current 1 gig TiBook is the real wheezer, although I think it varies from unit to unit.

It would be great to have some real feedback on the new Powerbooks, although I have heard today from a Mac dealer that the show units are essentially prototypes, and that, regardless of claims to the contrary, it'll be a couple months before anyone will actually get to see, feel, hear, smell, and taste actual, shipping units.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
MattiMattMatt I tracked a session with my Ti400/Magma system recently and was about 6 feet from the mics. I recorded Tabla, Sax and some other eastern 6 string instrument I forget the name off. Even with large diaphram mics I didn't get any background noise from the Ti. I've built a sound baffle for the Magma which is essential.

The Ti 17" Powerbooks at the shows are not prototypes, they're short-run, hand-built computers put together before the production line is in place. You WILL see the 17" ship in February.
Old 14th January 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i want one of these 17"ers just to use FCP on. hook up a firewire drive and edit away.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i want one of these 17"ers just to use FCP on. hook up a firewire drive and edit away.
That's what I do on the days I'm not tracking with PT, it's an awesome setup. In fact I shoot with my SONY PD-150 and sync to PT on some sessions. It's fun to give the video to the artists when we're done.
Old 14th January 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Something that you might all be forgetting: the new Powerbook 17" and 12" can not run Mac OS 9. They are OS X only.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by s2n
Something that you might all be forgetting: the new Powerbook 17" and 12" can not run Mac OS 9. They are OS X only.
Nope, didn't forget that. PT will be native in OS X by the end of the month, and yes, that's still my app for live tracking.

Logic is ofcourse already there and works wonderfully in OS X.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by s2n
I'm all X already for my purposes of this 12"
Old 14th January 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
The only app that I'm now booting up in 9 for is Logic because MOTU haven't released drivers for X yet.

By the way, for those of you running X, here are the apps I can't do without (and also these apps are worth moving to X for on their own!)

LaunchBar - download this NOW. INSTANT access to any file with two keystrokes. Has to be seen to be believed. Also instant access to your bookmarked web pages, email addresses, contact info and anything else your computer holds all from the keyboard. Awesome.

FruitMenu - Customise all apple menus and contextual menus. Superduper. $7!

Workstrip X - An extra dock which lets you IMMEDIATELY PREVIEW ANY FILE TYPE WITHOUT HAVING TO LAUNCH AN EXTERNAL APP. That means you can immediately hear an aif or mp3 just by touching it, or see a word file without opening word, or see whats in a pdf doc without launching acrobat, or see what is in a picture file (any format), or see the first frame of any movie file, and also PLAY the movie file by touching it. Crazy. No more 'hunt the aiff'.

Virtual Desktop - Let's you have multiple desktops to organise where your windows are open - kind of like screen sets on Logic and Pro Tools but for the Finder!

MacReporter - A dock item that keeps track of news headlines from around the world from newspapers and web pages. Great if you have broadband.

Marine Aquarium - The best screen saver bar none. Ok, its silly. But I love it.

I have all of these things running.

Anyone else have any killer osx apps that they can't live without?
πŸ“ Reply