Quantcast
Any Benchmark DAC-1 users ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Benchmark DAC-1 users ?
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Any Benchmark DAC-1 users ?

I need a portable, good sounding D/A and from what I've read the Benchmark has had nothing but good reviews from users. I ordered one form Mercenary today on the faith.

Anyone here using it and liking it ?

Oh yeah, I went for an RNP too. What the hell, it's my birthday.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My DAC-1 arrived a few days ago, I love it. I highly doubt you will be dissapointed in it.

The sound is very detailed, clear, and balanced across the frequency range. I find stereo imaging to be excellent as well.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love mine too heh
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I love mine too heh
Well I would hope so. Mine gets here on Friday, I'll let you know what I think. I expect to be delighted.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Well I would hope so. Mine gets here on Friday, I'll let you know what I think. I expect to be delighted.
I think you will be
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It's great...

It's a great unit. I had been using my Yamaha 02R's monitor section for monitoring D>A work and the difference in definition is remarkable. I can hear subtle changes in processes and processing which escaped me before. Beautifully made, too.
Old 8th January 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Is Benchmark going to make a DSD style converter?
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
Is Benchmark going to make a DSD style converter?
We always have things in the works....
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
How about an ADC-1
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
See the above post.... but you're not far off.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Alright, i'm seriously thinking about grabbing one of these. What did you guys pay for yours/what's the lowest price you've seen? (You don't have to answer David... Unless you want to)

Also, can I clock other converters through the S/Pdifs?
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I can't answer you clocking question, but I bought mine from Mercenary as I said when I started the thread and they had it in stock at $775. I don't think you're going to find a discount beyond that, hell why would they.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Tubelover .....

Your ears are gonna be wriggling like a rabbit ... in disbelief. Then, get your hands on aone of their AD's so that you can experience the DAC-1 in all it's glory .....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
How about an ADC-1
For all intents and purposes ... they do ... and it's portable so you can take it to your favorite gig ... anywhere

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digita...96/default.asp

Fletcher is doing you a favor taking $20 off. These things are backordered rollz
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey I like it when my ears are happy, hell that's what I'm in this game for.

You're right, Fletcher is at the least tossing in shipping with his discount and you can't beat that!

I'm using Apogee A/Ds, and I'm pretty happy there, but I'll definetly check out the Benchmarks if I get the chance.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Does it have a MONO button by any chance?
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
TL ... they smoke the Apogee's

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover

I'm using Apogee A/Ds, and I'm pretty happy there, but I'll definetly check out the Benchmarks if I get the chance.
Fletcher is too nice ... heh

Quote:
Fletcher is at the least tossing in shipping with his discount
and you can't beat that!
Gotta do mono through board / control surface ... but don't let that stop you grggt
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost
TL ... they smoke the Apogee's
Hmm, never heard that before.

I just bought a SLAM tonight, trying to decide if I should send it in for the digital mod. That comparison would be interesting to make against the other big names.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
TL ...

Maybe if you give atticus a buzz, he can get a demo out to you ... You'll certainly have fun with the A/B ... Having a choice of quality AD's is sorta like haveing a good selection of quality pre's
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think it would be cool if something like this could be used as a wirelss remote for the DAC/1 to control volume

i assume a bluetooth version will be made soon...it looks awesome in person its metal with a blueglow underneath...watcha you say atti?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you might find a bit better deal than $775 if you hunt around.

The only thing that is not in question is that the DAC-1 sounds WAY better than it costs. Truly first class performance in my opinion, and I am finding mine to be tremendously useful. For the first time since I went totally digital I'm enjoying listening again on the physical/intuitive level.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think you might find a bit better deal than $775 if you hunt around.
I think so too. I do realize that it's already a great bargain, but every $ I save on a converter is another $ I can spend on a pre. I'm glad that you like em so much.

Ghoost, when someone gets you as a fan they really hit the jackpot. This is the second thread I've seen where you've been overly enthused about Benchmark... What gives? Do you own stock? Do they owe you money?

So far you've said
1) They smoke the Apogee's (You're probably right)
2) Don't bother waiting for the ADC-1, just buy what's available now.
3) Don't shop around... Mercenary's doing you a favor.

Not to mention the other thread where someone was deciding to go with the Myteks and you tried very hard to get him to go with the Benchmarks. Now don't get me wrong, everyone seems to like their DAC-1's and I appreciate when people try to "Put you on" to hot gear... But you seem a little too pushy when it comes to Benchmark. What's that about?
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, at the risk of sounding to pro-Benchmark, I would like to tell you why I chose the DAC-1 over the Mytek. This is purely just personal reasons, not tech anything.

1. The DAC-1 is a shipping product right now, and the Mytek isn't. That's big, as I need it now.

2. I visited both the Benchmark and Mytek booths at the AES show last October and liked the Benchmark people better. Allen Burdick, the President of Benchmark, took the time to demo the product for me and was genuinely enthusiastic about how his converter sounded. When we went to the listening station I didn't like the type of music he was demoing so he rummaged around and found something more toward what I was looking to hear.

3. I emailed both companies with questions. The Benchmark people emailed back quickly with info, and the Mytek person emailed back almost two months later.

4. Obviously, I wasn't able to A/B the two devices, but the DAC-1 sounded very good to me, and I trust my ears.

I should emphasize the importance of points 1-3 as an adjunct to point 4. I've learned through experience that a responsive company is a good one to be dealing with if something goes wrong or if there are questions come up. This is why I often send email or call a company with a question *before* I buy their gear. I consider a lack of response a warning sign.

1nation, I'm totally into finding the best price, especially with converters. It *kills* me to spend money on converters. They don't DO anything, just pass audio data around (some better than others obviously). I've spent so much on converters and digital audio interfaces it's shameful. In an analog world all that money would have gone toward gear you can hear. Yeah, you can hear a converter, but you know what I mean.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hey Albert, You don't sound too pro Benchmark, in fact I appreciate how you took the time to list the reasons that you choose benchmark over the (Non-existent) Myteks. Those are all points that I look at when deciding to make a purchase too.

I'm probably going to wait for about three months to see if the ADC-1 and Myteks ever get made before I make a purchase. Then I'll probably buy both and give one set back.

This is the thread about the Myteks that I was referring to Checkit

Maybe it was argumentative of me to even point out how enthusiastic Ghoost is about Benchmark... Sorry.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ghoost, when someone gets you as a fan they really hit the jackpot.
... LOL ... You're Funny grggt ... And you're probably right. I also have a soft spot for the
underdog.

I had the same experience w/Benchmark/Allen Burdick .. that Albert did ... over 3 years ago at AES. I was walking by his booth to Lucid (across from Benchmark). This unassuming gentleman (Allen) says "Can I help you" Half jokingly (but I ment it) I replied .. Sure, I'm looking for convertors .. Better and Cheaper than Apogee ..... And I didn't have a clue what Benchmark manufactured, much like most people in our world up untill about 3 months ago. Allen proceeded to show me their 20 bit/ unit with a horn section track. In a word, I was stunned (pardon my enthusiasm). It wasn't harsh, definitly warm and all the transients were right there. It sounded better than quite a few 24 bit units I'd heard.

Allen then spent the next 45 minutes explaining the intricacies of conversion and how it relates to Jitter, showing jitter rate comparison charts and patiently explaining why i should be concerned about these things. To be honest, I was lucky if I absorbed half of what he was saying but I was very aware of what my ears were saying about a ... 20 bit unit ... and more than happy to wait about 3 months for a 24 bit model. All I'll say is ... It was worth the wait ....

Now, you may consider the time he had spent with me good marketing technique. And actually it is, although it is quite rare to see such personal attention in practice these days. But Allen will be the first to say he is hardly a Marketing genius. The fact that it took over 3 years to get any kind of buzz going is evidence enough ... and it wasn't through conventional marketing, but quality ... how ironic ..

Having spent some time close to the edges of the advertising world and knowing it's power ... I abhore products that do not match the hype and gliz associated with them. By the same token, finding a product that is deserving of certainly more attention than it is recieving, always twitches the word of mouth muscle. Forgive me if it get's a little out of hand sometimes rollz

So far you've said
1) They smoke the Apogee's (You're probably right)

- Well ... See first half of above paragraph ..

2) Don't bother waiting for the ADC-1, just buy what's available now.

- I didn't exactly say that .........

For all intents and purposes ... they do ... and it's portable so you can take it to your favorite gig ... anywhere

This refers to an existing 2ch unit that can be multi functional. Granted, you may not
require the portability nor want to pay for it. There isn't a promise of an ADC-1 (as far as I
know) although I certainly endorse the idea ... which is meaningless. I was just thnking if you
desire such a combination, it is attainable .. with a useful bonus feature.

3) Don't shop around... Mercenary's doing you a favor.

Honest to God ... I thought you couldn't get these things for much off list if at all. Nobody needs to as they seem to be selling as fast as production will allow. And they're pretty
damn reasonable to begin with. With the service Flether already gives ... He's being a nice
guy.

Not to mention the other thread where someone was deciding to go with the Myteks and you tried very hard to get him to go with the Benchmarks.
Well aside from saying ... reread the first half of this dissertation ... I never said anything against Mytek, as you may recall. It's about knowing all the possibilities and facts in regards to an unknown element ... then making your decision. He certainly became more informed.

Personally, I think a good convertor is like a good pre or a good mic. The HEDD and DB units are definitly on my list. Benchmark stands nose to nose with these ... just different. Says something about pricepoint though ... no?

BTW .. I don't consider you argumentative and the apoligy is appreciated yuktyy
geeeezzzz .... didn't mean to write a chapter of my life .. but perhaps the enthusiam is understood heh

Okay .. been up all night .... time to
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi everybody,

in defence of all pro Benchmark remarks in these latest posts, I received my DAC1 last week (in Brussels, Belgium, for sure the first one here ?) and I am impressed every day. There is a blatant improvement over my normal DAC's (Mackie-Soundscape32 digital editor/recorder), I even posted it on our Soundscape forum in a 44.1 v 96 K discussion, with the argument that the improvement I hear with the DAC1 is maybe bigger than switching from 16bit,44K to 24bit 88.2K !

If you want to decide from this that my previous DAC's really stink, well hm - come to think of it - compared to the DAC1 maybe they do ... But in reality they are not bad at all (compared to real world dacs).
I am getting the feeling that I will have to save up the money to get their 8ch AD convertor.

Yannick
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
but perhaps the enthusiasm is understood
It sure is.

Hey, thank you for taking some time to tell your story, I appreciate that. It really says a lot about a company when their users are so genuinely enthused ( ) about their products. Sorry if I was a little cynical at first. It's just hard to believe that a company has the kind of customer satisfaction rating that benchmark seems to have in this day and age... But it's a very welcome change.

The real reason that I called you out is because I thought Ghoost was a ghost. On a popular users forum that I read we actually had a guy show up as many different satisfied customers. Singing his own praise

Again, thanks for taking the time... Peace.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Can't set the damned jumpers!

OK, got the package from Mercenary, opened it up and went to take the case off to set the jumpers to -20dB. But some moose must have put the screws in the case, they were so damned tight it was rediculous.

ONE screw is rounding out and I can't get it out, no way to set the jumpers. Yes, I am using the #0 Phillips screwdriver, the correct size, and I was careful.

So now I'm pissed, this is stupid. How can you send out a product that the first thing somebody has to do is take the case off and not pay attention to how tight the damned screws are.

I guess when I take it down to the studio tonight I'll hope I can use it with my KRR V-88s.
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry about your troubles!! I'm sure the the DAC1 will work fine without the pad in. Send me your address and I'll send you some fresh screws for the case!!
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well it's probably just a fluke that I can't get into my DAC-1 to set the pad, but it sure is frustrating. I've got a lot less control over level since by the time I'm 1/4 of the way up my V-88s are bringing the roof down. atticus is going to take care of it for me, so it's just one of those things you roll with I guess.

The sound is very nice, smooth, detailed and pretty much just what I needed. I just tracked some vocals with a new RNP and it's very impressive. I went back and forth between it and an Avalon M5 and ended up using both, one on the main track and the other on the double. The two together are pretty cool. Listening back through the DAC-1 helped reveal the subtleties between the two.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's just hard to believe that a company has the kind of customer satisfaction rating that benchmark seems to have in this day and age... But it's a very welcome change.

It is indeed ..

The real reason that I called you out is because I thought Ghoost was a ghost.
Actually, there's a somewhat humerous story behind this ... At one time there was a band that I was keeping track of in terms of determining when they would be ready to record. I would show up at gigs without telling them when ... preferirng to see an honest performance of that nights material as opposed to something staged for my benifit. Only after they were finished, would I emerge from the shadows and we would discuss impressions of the show.

Well .. they took to calling me ghost, which always gave us a good laugh. This was happening around the time I began signing in to a number of BB's. It was easy enough to remember and I think my funny bone was working overtiime. The extra "O" showed up sine I found that most BB's ... already had a "ghost" Ok .. I'll shut up now .. This can't be that intresting to anybodygrggt

The bummer is .. by the time the band was ready to record .. THEY BROKE UP rollz I'm sure we all know that story heh
πŸ“ Reply